Thread: Teaser Images

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Default Teaser Images

Here are some teaser images from the upcoming version. Enjoy!

Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Default Re: Teaser Images

My body is ready.

Looks fantastic. You would not get visuals like that in the original RTW.

Nelduin's Avatar a.k.a ALG & echuu

Spartan Hoplites

~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Great looking Spartans. And - yay - no more beggars robes.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Domesticus

Finally, some good non-roman scum content.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

this looks awesome!

are these models imported from a previous version or newly created?

They are mostly from RS 2 and RTR, if I'm not mistaken.

Celtiberian charge

Getai vs Celtiberians

~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    They are mostly from RS 2 and RTR, if I'm not mistaken.
    All RS2 - we're adding one or two models for the launch as well but they're not yet upgrades in terms of unit model polygon numbers.
    We upgraded most units when we did RS2 ten years ago, but the bodies in particular are low poly now by modern standards

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

They still look surprisingly great considering they were made a decade ago, you should be proud of your work. I'm eager to see what will be soon possible with the game.

Good Morning from the Gauls

I would add a bit of dirt, grime, scratches, imperfect lines etc to the textures. Those shields look way too perfect.
    Last edited by EgyptianNecrophiliac; May 14, 2021 at 06:29 AM.

I dont know if it is just me but these units look less beautiful than the remastered vanilla ones and also the variation seems to be gone, its clone armies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    I dont know if it is just me but these units look less beautiful than the remastered vanilla ones and also the variation seems to be gone, its clone armies again.
    Ofcourse they are. It's the exact models from the original Rome mod. Meaning it has less polygon count and smaller texture resolution then anything else in Rome Remastered. Lighting and shaders can only do so much with such a basic mesh and textures.

The teams will have to make everything from scratch to make everything look on par or even better then Rome Remastered.

I wonder if this new engine is using PBR shaders instead of the very outdated Specular workflow. All games that strive for realism use PBR shaders nowadays. Could someone on team perhaps confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Draken2007 View Post
    Ofcourse they are. It's the exact models from the original Rome mod. Meaning it has less polygon count and smaller texture resolution then anything else in Rome Remastered. Lighting and shaders can only do so much with such a basic mesh and textures.

The teams will have to make everything from scratch to make everything look on par or even better then Rome Remastered.

I wonder if this new engine is using PBR shaders instead of the very outdated Specular workflow. All games that strive for realism use PBR shaders nowadays. Could someone on team perhaps confirm this?
    Though the bodies of the models are lower poly, many of the weapons, helmets and shields are similar poly count, so many of these elements will be retained in any model upgrades.
    In terms of texture resolution, we've upscaled all RS2 textures to 2048x2048 using AI upscaling. Whilst some of the earlier work that dates back to 2007 hasn't translated particularly well, many of the later textures from 2009/2010 are looking just as good or in some cases better than the vanilla remastered ones.

So it won't be a case of making everything from scratch. There's quite a lot that can be conserved and reused.

We're looking closely at options for increasing variety with units.

You're of course right about PBR. Remastered is using PBR for all unit models as well as buildings, terrain and more.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Though the bodies of the models are lower poly, many of the weapons, helmets and shields are similar poly count, so many of these elements will be retained in any model upgrades.
    In terms of texture resolution, we've upscaled all RS2 textures to 2048x2048 using AI upscaling. Whilst some of the earlier work that dates back to 2007 hasn't translated particularly well, many of the later textures from 2009/2010 are looking just as good or in some cases better than the vanilla remastered ones.

So it won't be a case of making everything from scratch. There's quite a lot that can be conserved and reused.

We're looking closely at options for increasing variety with units.

You're of course right about PBR. Remastered is using PBR for all unit models as well as buildings, terrain and more.
    That is interesting to know about the shields, weapons, etc and I totally forgot about AI upscaling tech. But as you said, there are limitations.

And good to know their using PBR on everything. PBR shaders are so much easier to work with.

And thanks for the answer. Looking forward to this mod.

That is interesting to know about the shields, weapons, etc and I totally forgot about AI upscaling tech. But as you said, there are limitations.

And good to know their using PBR on everything. PBR shaders are so much easier to work with.

And thanks for the answer. Looking forward to this mod.
    Sounds like you've got some experience of working with PBR textures. If that's the case then it could be really helpful to have you involved.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Sounds like you've got some experience of working with PBR textures. If that's the case then it could be really helpful to have you involved.
    I've done 3D for a few years as a hobby. But I sadly don't have the time to dedicate to something like this. Maybe at some later point.

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

I've done 3D for a few years as a hobby. But I sadly don't have the time to dedicate to something like this. Maybe at some later point.
    Feel free to get in touch once you have time and would like to contribute; we are always in need of skilled artists!

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66