Thread: Yet another disaster for the UK labor party

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Yet another disaster for the UK labor party

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk

Local elections are ongoing but its clear that the labor party has some devastating losses. The problem for the labor party is that there are many parties on the left(LD, SNP, PC)that cost them votes while the right is only one party(the conservatives). Also SNP seems to take a majority which means they will have the right to hold a new independence referendum although i dont know if they will

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Yet another disaster for the UK labor party

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post

Local elections are ongoing but its clear that the labor party has some devastating losses. The problem for the labor party is that there are many parties on the left(LD, SNP, PC)that cost them votes while the right is only one party(the conservatives). Also SNP seems to take a majority which means they will have the right to hold a new independence referendum although i dont know if they will
    Scotland will and it will pass and the Brexiteers will whine but Scotland will rejoin the EU on killer terms. Too bad the welsh can't split off too realistically. Eventually NI will join the rest of the mainland because economics will draw them. Britain will just be some island to visit to my grandkids. All its real sway in the world was sunk the moment Brexit was made real.

Brings me joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post

I think the bigger problem for Labour is that they despise the working class and cater to the woke upper-middle-class urban crowd instead. There are only so many votes to be gained from that. And it's an excellent way to lose the working class vote to the Tories of all people, even when the latter are led by some weirdo who never washes his hair.

The SNP are unlikely to get a parliamentary majority though there will be a majority of pro-independence MSPs. This means the essential makeup of Holyrood will be unchanged from 2016 (BBC are projecting that the SNP will remain on 63 seats). I believe it is also true that a majority of votes went to pro-union parties, but MSPs are not elected on a purely PR basis. The Scottish parliament can legislate for a second independence referendum if it wishes, but it will most likely be blocked by Westminster.

Indefinitely Banned

Post Brexit Westminster of course will act like a more totalitarian EU and they and supporters of Brexit will do so unironically. Because education and its uptick in thinkery is not their bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    The SNP are unlikely to get a parliamentary majority though there will be a majority of pro-independence MSPs. This means the essential makeup of Holyrood will be unchanged from 2016 (BBC are projecting that the SNP will remain on 63 seats). I believe it is also true that a majority of votes went to pro-union parties, but MSPs are not elected on a purely PR basis. The Scottish parliament can legislate for a second independence referendum if it wishes, but it will most likely be blocked by Westminster.
    SNP has already +3 seats so which seats will going to loose?

Not sure. There is a difference between the constituency vote (FPTP) and the regional vote (PR). If the SNP picked up seats in the constituency vote, they will have lost them again in the regional vote.

SNP has 64 seats(one from a majority)but the Greens have 8 so its wont be difficult to call for a new referendum. We will see what Boris will do

My guess would be that he'll kick it down the road until the next general election. I would expect specific manifesto commitments regarding a potential second independence referendum then.