Thread: Saxon namelist won't change

Default Saxon namelist won't change

Hey! First post here, since I just began trying to mod med2 today, and I'm already running into complications

I went the easy route and tried to add the Saxons to vanilla, which proved to be easy enough - however, when I tried to create a general called Offa, the name wouldn't appear ingame.

I have tried adding the name Offa to the English namelist and renaming Rufus to Offa, which worked perfectly - the game just doesn't seem to register changes in the Saxon namelist. Even if I delete a name in the available Saxon names, like Harold or Hans, the name will still show up ingame regardless.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Saxon namelist won't change

Quote Originally Posted by Kong Gufhans View Post
    Hey! First post here, since I just began trying to mod med2 today, and I'm already running into complications
    Sound normal for M2TW Welcome, and don't give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kong Gufhans View Post
    I went the easy route and tried to add the Saxons to vanilla, which proved to be easy enough - however, when I tried to create a general called Offa, the name wouldn't appear ingame.

I have tried adding the name Offa to the English namelist and renaming Rufus to Offa, which worked perfectly - the game just doesn't seem to register changes in the Saxon namelist. Even if I delete a name in the available Saxon names, like Harold or Hans, the name will still show up ingame regardless.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Have you deleted the bin files? Usually when changing files in the text folder you have to delete the corresponding file (so here names.txt.string.bin) for the changes to show up in game: deleting forces the game to recreate a new bin file and integrate your last changes.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I suppose you didn't set up vanilla to be modded, like enabling to read edited files? Save yourself all the hassle of doing so and install my mod setup and then mod in there and play there.

Thank you for responding!

It seems I have found the source of the problem. I DID remember to enable it to read edited files in all my iterations - this is probably why I could change the English namelist this one time. However, it seems that medieval2.preference.cfg reverts itself to the default state AFTER I have first booted the game - so the second time I boot up the game, it does not bother to read the edited files. This is because I am a fool, and forgot to set it to "read only" thanks for reminding me to check the .cfg, otherwise it would have taken me longer to realize what the problem was for now, I'll go nuts with anglo-saxon names!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Yup, the default CFG file reverts manual entries. It's actually not advisable to mod in the original directory as you may eventually not remember what all you edited, plus the issue of the CFG file. Hence my suggestion to use my mod set up (which has a good number of fixes as well) that avoids all those pit falls.