Thread: Tsardoms Total War - Wallachia Historical Events

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Tsardoms Total War - Wallachia Historical Events

The Principality of Wallachia Events

Tsardoms Total War presents a host of new events which will be featured for the faction of Wallacia in the next version. We aim to create a host of similar events for many other factions.

Several new historical characters will spawn belonging to the various Wallachian noble houses:

- House of Balaceanu:

Giaicu Balanceanu (1390)

- House of Craiovescu:

Neagoe of Strehaia (1434)

Parvu Craiovescu - (1453)

Parvu Craiovescu is the son of Neagoe Strehainaul and later became a member of the Princely Council of Wallachia with the title of Mare Vornic. He was also the father of the later Voivode Neagoe Basarab.

Barbu Craiovescu (1463)

Barbu Craiovescu I was a great boyar of the Craiovescu family and the first to hold the diginity of Great Ban of Craiova. He was a member of the Princely Council in 1482 and Great Ban in 1492, 1497 și 1498-1519. He foudned the Bistrita Monastery and became a monk under the name of Pahomie.

- House of Florescu:

Vlascan Florescu (1380)

Vlascan, the son of Florea (or Florev) is the first well known and documented member of the Florescu family. Historically, Vlascan appeared in the records during the reign of the Voivode Mircea the Elder. He avoided joining the Princely Council of Mircea due to the Voivode's aggressive anti-Ottoman policy. He joined the Princely Council of Voivode Alexandru Aldea and advocated a policy of appeasement towards the Ottoman Empire.

Vintila Florescu - 1454

Historically, Vintila was a well known great boyar who was part of the Princely Council during the time of Vlad the Impaler. Like his father, he favoured a policy of reconciliation and appeasement of the Ottoman threat. He was part of the court of several Voivodes and his sister married the Voivode Basarab the Young Impaler.

A whole host of new events including various historical rebellions, feuds and Basarab characters emerging

Death of Dan I (1386)
    and the Danesti - Draculesti Feud (1390)

The death of Dan I forever changed the landscape of Wallachia and led to a centuries old feud between the two branches of the princely Basarab family

The new characters will either be a supporter of the Danesti or the Draculesti faction which will lead to some serious bad blood of characters belonging to rival factions

Vlad the Usurper Rebellion (1394)

My Lord, a pretender under the name of Vlad is making a claim to the Wallachian throne! Vlad claims to be a scion of the House of Basarab from the side of Dan I and as such claims to be of royal blood. Aided by rebellious nobles and Turkish money and mercenaries, Vlad has raised an army and is now threatening the Wallachian capital. This pretender must be defeated and executed as soon as possible.

Historically, Vlad I removed Wallachia from the anti-Ottoman coalition, leading to his official non-recognition by the Hungarian kingdom and its allies. Struggles to remove him from the throne and return Wallachia to the coalition continued throughout his reign, though when the expedition of Stephen of Lozoncs in May 1395 ended in a military disaster, the Hungarian king said that "Walachia was lost and the Danube fell into the hand of the enemy".

In July 1395, a Hungarian expedition led by Sigismund, probably seconded by Mircea the Elder, captured the Turnu fortress and left a garrison loyal to the king. Throughout the following year the struggles to remove Vlad I continued. These were interrupted only by the participation of Sigismund and his vassals, including Mircea the Elder, in the campaign which resulted in defeat at the Nicopole. During this expedition, the territory of Wallachia was bypassed in order to avoid the Wallachian and Ottoman military forces stationed there. After the defeat, those who tried to find their way across the Danube were either ransomed or executed. This reaction from the Wallachian voivode can be attributed to the massacres by the Crusaders of Bulgarian Orthodox Christians in the conquered cities.

In October 1396, another military expedition headed by Stibor, the Transylvanian voivode, led to the defeat and capture of Vlad, who died in captivity. This allowed Mircea the Elder to regain the throne in January 1397.

Dan II of Wallachia (1409)

My Lord, a scion of the House of Basarab has now come of age and is at your command. Dan II is the son of Dan I of Wallachia and grandson of Radu I. His father was the eldest son and successor of Radu I of Wallachia. As such, Dan is the nephew of Mircea the Elder. Despite the fact that his uncle Mircea was a great rival with his father, Dan has so far stayed loyal to his uncle. Dan II is known to be a very able military commander

Historically, Dan II was a voivode of the principality of Wallachia, ruling an extraordinary five times, and succeeded four times by Radu II Chelul, his rival for the throne.

Dan II first took the throne in 1420, losing it in 1421, but regaining it that same year. He was primarily able to regain the throne many times because he was an able military commander in the field. In 1423, Dan II led an army against the invading Ottoman Turks, defeating them in battle. The Ottomans were invading in an effort to place Radu II back on the throne. In 1425, he again defeated the Ottomans,[citation needed] winning an important victory in a battle that was the first recorded mention of Wallachia using mercenaries in their army. In that battle, Dan II had employed a large number of Bulgarian soldiers. In the spring of 1427, Dan II removes Radu II from the throne for the last time, again defeating the Ottomans in battle, taking back the fortress at Giurgiu. In all likelihood, Dan II killed Radu II either during or after that battle, as the latter disappears from historical records afterwards. However, written accounts of the time are sparse at best, and it is not known for certain. On 3 June 1428, Dan II led an army against the Ottomans at Golubac Fortress, which ended with a treaty that would allow Dan II a semi-peaceful rule until 1432.

In 1432 his country was invaded by a large Ottoman army. Dan was defeated and killed in battle. He was succeeded by Alexandru I Aldea, a son of Mircea cel Batran, who would reign until his death from illness in 1436, and with him being replaced by Vlad II Dracul, father to Vlad Tepes. Dan II's son, Basarab II, would replace Vlad Dracul's son Mircea II in 1443. However, his son lacked the military ability of his father and would lose the throne within a year to Vlad Dracul.

Infante Pedro, Duke of Coimbra, an indefatigable traveler, possibly the most well-traveled prince of his time, and brother of Henry the Navigator, met with Dan II of Wallachia during Pedro's service to Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor.

Radu II Prasnaglava Rebellion (1423)

My Lord, a pretender is making a claim to the Wallachian throne! Radu II Prasnaglava (the Bald) is a younger son of Mircea the Elder and as such part of the House of Basarab. Using this claim he is now marching on Targoviste. Aided by rebellious nobles and Turkish money and mercenaries, Radu has raised an army and is now threatening the Wallachian capital. This pretender must be defeated and executed as soon as possible. Any family connections must be ignored as this rebellious scion of the House of Basarab is threatening his own family and making war on his own people.

Historically, Radu Prasnaglava became Voivode on 4 separate occasions and was probably the last voievod of Wallachia to assert control of Banat and southern Basarabia. Dobrogea was lost in 1417. His short intervals of rulership were marked by frequent and violent clashes with his rival and cousin, Dan II, for the throne of the principality. He found shelter and military support from the Ottoman Empire, and it was this submission to the Ottomans which ultimately caused Wallachia to lose Dobrogea and other territories. Radu II is last mentioned in the spring of 1427, when Dan II attacked him from Transylvania, retook the throne, and most probably killed him.

Vlad Dracul Rising (1406)

Vlad the Impaler Rising (1445)

Laiota Basarab Rising (1444)

My lord, a scion of the House of Basarab has come of age. Laiota Basarab is the son of Danciu and grandson of Dan II. As such, Laiota is a member of the Danesti branch of the Basarab family. He is the cousin and rival of Basarab IV the Little Impaler.

Historically, Laiota Basarab was Voivode of the principality of Wallachia in the 1470s, repeating the achievement of Dan II in being elected by the boyars as voivode on five separate occasions. Moreover, he succeeded the same ruler (Radu cel Frumos in Basarab's case) on four occasions. Two of his reigns also surrounded the last period in which Vlad III the Impaler ruled over Wallachia. In 1479 he joined in the Battle of Breadfield on the Hungarian side fighing against the Ottomans and trying to regain his throne.

Radu the Handsome Rebellion (1462)

My Lord, a pretender is making a claim to the Wallachian throne! Radu Basarab known as the Handsome, the son of Vlad Dracul, and the brother of Vlad Dracula the Impaler is marching on Targoviste. Aided by rebellious nobles and Turkish money and mercenaries, Radu has raised an army and is now threatening the Wallachian capital. This pretender must be defeated and executed as soon as possible.

In 1436, Vlad II Dracul ascended to the throne of Wallachia. He was ousted in 1442 by rival factions in league with Hungary, but secured Ottoman support for his return by agreeing to pay tribute to the Sultan and also send his two legitimate sons, Vlad III (the Impaler) and Radu (the Handsome), to the Ottoman court, to serve as hostages of his loyalty.

The boys were taken to the various garrisons at Edirne. Radu eventually became friends with Murad II's son, Mehmed II. While at the Ottoman court as boys, Vlad and Radu were educated in logic, the Quran and the Turkish and Persian language and literature. Due to his famed beauty it is said that Mehmend fell in love with him and the two shared a romantic relationship.

Radu, at the age of 22, became a leading figure at the Ottoman court. He was a commander of the Janissaries and in the campaign against his brother Vlad III the Impaler, Radu was at the head of 4000 horsemen. He is believed to have taken part in the operations that are collectively known as the Fall of Constantinople. Eventually he would be placed on the Wallachian throne after the defeat of Vlad the Impaler and would rule the Principality under Ottoman suzerainty on four separate occasions between 1462 and 1475.

The Little Impaler Rebellion (1474)

My Lord, another pretender is making a claim to the Wallachian throne! Basarab IV the Younger known as the Little Impaler, the son of Basarab II, and the cousin of Laiota Basarab the Elder is marching on Targoviste. The pretender is a member of the House of Danesti and as such is of princely bone and can press a claim on the Wallachian throne. Aided by rebellious nobles and Hungarian money and mercenaries, the Little Impaler has raised an army and is now threatening the Wallachian capital. This pretender must be defeated and executed as soon as possible.

Neagoe Basarab Rising (1473)

A scion of the Craiovescu family has now come of age. Neagoe Craiovescu is the son of Parvu Craiovescu and later adopted the name of Neagoe Basarab in order to associate himself with the Basarab ruling family.

Historically, Neagoe Basarab V (c.1459 – 15 September 1521) was the Voivode (Prince) of Wallachia between 1512 and 1521. Born into the boyar family of the Craioveşti (his reign marks the climax of the family's political influence) as the son of Parvu Craiovescu or Basarab the Little Impaler (by some theories), Neagoe Basarab, replaced Vlad cel Tânăr after the latter rejected Craioveşti tutelage. He was noted for his abilities and competence.

Neagoe Basarab wrote in Church Slavonic one of the earliest literary works of Wallachia, called "The teachings of Neagoe Basarab to his son Theodosie", where he touches various subjects such as philosophy, diplomacy, morals and ethics.

Last edited by Wallachian; May 07, 2021 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - Wallachia Historical Events

Love it! Wallachia never gets any attention in most mods. Glad that wallachia gets some needed attention.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Fantastic. I have had an awesome campaign recently. I had to do some thorough research first as I knew enough to look intelligent. But I like to know about a culture and history. Found some good Romanian historians in English or French

Very welcome news. I just want to say that I appreciate the amount of work that has been put into portraying this corner of the world, and the work put in the rest of the mod.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Fantastic. I have had an awesome campaign recently. I had to do some thorough research first as I knew enough to look intelligent. But I like to know about a culture and history. Found some good Romanian historians in English or French
    There is probably a whole lot more texts in French than in English because of the francophonie connection.

But a few good recommendations in English would be:

A.K. Brackob - Mircea the Old: Father of Wallachia, Grandfather of Dracula
    A.K. Brackob - Dracul: In the Name of the Father: The Untold Story of Vlad II Dracul, Founder of the Dracula Dynasty (coming out late 2021)
    Radu R. Florescu, Raymond T. McNally - Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and His Times
    Matei Cazacu - Dracula

And anything by Laurentiu Radvan, Florin Curta, Victor Spinei, Keith Hitchins, Serban Papacostea is good reading.

Thank you, I will look up these titles and scholars. Anyone, who reads English, who is interested in south eastern Europe has read Curta I image

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

His unortodox theories had brought him some attention yes, altough not everyone agrees with him

Certainly not no. I make a point of not agreeing with anyone