Thread: Loyal Antigonid trait

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Loyal Antigonid trait

A few questions about Antigonid royal family members for Makedonia: does this trait still work if you move the capital from Pella to somewhere else?
    Do the family members have to be in Pella or just wherever your capital city happens to be moved, like Taras?
    Does the faction leader also have to be present in the capital city or Pella in order for them to gain this trait?

I want to move the capital city a bit further west, either to Sicily or southern Italy, as my empire has massively shifted in that direction during my recent expansions into Western Europe by 100 BC (700 turns). I have a very stable eastern border stretching across the Crimean Peninsula, Armenia, Mesopotamia, Egypt and Ethiopia. However, various Iberian settlements are always trying to revolt, northern Gaul seems restless, and lessening the distance to the capital could ease the issue of abundant public order malus in certain settlements. I don't have very many Antigonid family members left and the dynasty itself will probably die out in 50 years since the game refuses to marry them off anymore, but hypothetically it would be nice to know if this trait would still work in the future if I choose to move the capital.

Default Re: Loyal Antigonid trait

So nobody knows anything about this, huh? Is this too arcane or is it something I, a mere layman, could figure out by reading the traits file in the data folder? That stuff is like reading Braille to me, though, at least the part when it comes to triggers.

So nobody who actually scripted the traits file knows anything about this? It's virtually irrelevant to my late campaign now that my last Antogonid family member died in 66 BC, but it would be nice to know about this in the future. Also just nice for other people who might be interested, not just me.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I believe VT Marvin originally scripted that but he's rather busy with work and family. We're introducing princesses at some point in the future, so that may make keeping family lines alive easier.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    So nobody who actually scripted the traits file knows anything about this? It's virtually irrelevant to my late campaign now that my last Antogonid family member died in 66 BC, but it would be nice to know about this in the future. Also just nice for other people who might be interested, not just me.
    Traits ain't my bag. I copy the work other people have done in the rare instances I tinker with it; scripts, EDU, EDB and such are my area.

Cool, thanks for letting me know, guys. It's not a big deal, as it only gives one extra loyalty point, but it is a nice roleplay feature for the Antigonids.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I believe VT Marvin originally scripted that but he's rather busy with work and family. We're introducing princesses at some point in the future, so that may make keeping family lines alive easier.
    The point about princesses was something I forgot to address in my previous post, a very important point as that is how I kept royal dynasties intact in just about any M2TW mod, Stainless Steel included. The game very actively tries to marry off every other family member while refusing to do so for those with the royal family trait until all other available suitors have been exhausted. It's certainly a hard corded M2TW thing.

Is this just going to be an optional submod or are you guys planning on introducing princesses into the main release for the next version of EBII? It would certainly be appropriate given the marriage alliances between Hellenistic royal houses, but the Romans even practiced this sort of thing considering figures like Marcus Antonius and Cleopatra VII. It was certainly something practiced by Roman emperors of the Julio-Claudian dynasty as well, which would entail the reign of Augustus (within our EBII timeframe).

Moderator Emeritus

It will be within the main release but the strat models might not be completed; they'll likely be placeholders of some sort. It's very likely we'll add an additional source of princesses aside from the FL's daughters. They'd be very rare later on in the game without some mechanic which lets the player "recruit" princesses or have them generated from an event.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I hope you're aware of all the meme behaviour behind princesses as implemented in M2TW, like eloping with their target and going to the other faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I hope you're aware of all the meme behaviour behind princesses as implemented in M2TW, like eloping with their target and going to the other faction.
    Well, eloping was a thing historically speaking, just have to make sure it doesn't spiral out of control.

Anyway, EBII is a serious mod. Maybe a tiny bit of meme behaviour wouldn't be amiss....

OOOh yes please add princesses as soon as possible (even if the campaign textures for them are placeholders), out of the blues I would see three good reasons IMHO:

It would be great if you could weight it so that the AI would be more willing to agree treaties if a marriage is on the tables, which feels really right for some monarchies at least,

It make it significantly easier to keep the royal line alive,

Depending on the A.I behavior (as in: in function of the frequency with which it offers a royal wedding) it might make it easier to find suitable brides for ones young royal princes.
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Well, eloping was a thing historically speaking, just have to make sure it doesn't spiral out of control.

Anyway, EBII is a serious mod. Maybe a tiny bit of meme behaviour wouldn't be amiss....
    I've never heard of it. Can you source which royal princesses of the period defected to other nations?

I also would like to know why the so-called "spear of achilles" would produce insanity on the owner.

Moderator Emeritus

A clarification, the majority of princesses likely won't be "royal" due to the game making royal ones descended from the FL rare by default. They will be noblewomen generally speaking and recruited via events, buildings or simply appear via the script (it's undecided).

I suggest reading JoC's excellent writeup for sship about the princess mechanic if you're interested about how the default princess mechanic works
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...S-in-the-SSHIP

About elopement, we may end up heavily restricting the movement of princesses outside their own borders or even moving them back into their own borders via script if they lack certain traits or ancillaries. However if it does happen we can always change her name to Helen of Troy from Helen of Sparta. On a more serious note there are probably instances where elopement happened however and we have strong cases for intermarriage among almost all neighbouring factions. So I doubt tears will be shed if it happens despite certain safeguards.
    Last edited by z3n; May 25, 2021 at 10:42 AM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Very good to know, z3n! Thanks once again for sharing info with us, the little people. Your team's ideas on how to limit elopement sound very clever, actually.

@z3n, I am glad to hear that you know about these issues like stealing FMs, and have plans on how to work around them.

Something I noticed immediately after my last Antigonid king died: a huge uptick in the number of spawned rebel armies and brigands.

All the more reason to continue the royal dynasty of your faction with princess agents! Although I'm role-playing now and pretending that the Makedonian Empire currently has a constitutional monarchy with popularly elected emperors from democratic votes cast from each core factional province. With a new capital city, too! Taras, not Pella.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Although I'm role-playing now and pretending that the Makedonian Empire currently has a constitutional monarchy with popularly elected emperors from democratic votes cast from each core factional province. With a new capital city, too! Taras, not Pella.
    Constitutional and democracy in Macedonia? How terrifying lol. :v