Thread: Carthaginian reforms still wacky

Default Carthaginian reforms still wacky

At least in the players guide and the game, the Carthaginian reforms are still a pain to get. I am currently in a campaign where I've clobbered Rome, but have to keep them alive for the absurd requirements of the game. The reform requirements sound good on paper, but in practice they can be quite difficult to get.

I'm in the year 226 BCE, my faction leader is a Barcid, I hold Gader and Qart-Hadast in Iberia (and the rest of the eastern Iberia), and I've conquered almost the entirety of the Italian peninsula. I've fought several major battles. The problem is that they don't seem to count if they're fought from a besieging force sallying out, even if it drags a big Roman army into it. I have no idea how many battles I've fought that actually count towards the six battles necessary. Now I have left Ariminum in order to allow the Romans to create more armies that I can defeat.

My wars in Iberia with faction reemergence from the Areuaki provided a painful but fair challenge, it felt organic. Rome feels like a complete pushover, and they should have some script that beefs them up or something. But back to the main point, I think Carthage's reforms should be simplified a bit. Instead of requiring a certain number of battles, maybe just change that requirement to just having been at war with Rome followed by a number of years after that. Or, that requirement could be decreased to only a couple battles, so I don't accidentally conquer Rome before I meet the requirements.

Default Re: Carthaginian reforms still wacky

If AI Rome is dead you are exempt from the 6 battles requirement according to the campaign_script.txt

Wait, really? That should be in the guide. Cowabunga it is.

Several years later, still isn’t happening. Do I have to have a Barcid faction leader and war leader?

Yes, he's gotta be both. Unfortunately, if he's already faction leader, he cannot be elected to Rab Mahnet through player selection. HOWEVER, if the faction leader is Charismatic and Fabulously Wealthy, he is still eligible through automatic selection. To enable automatic selection, once the Rosh declares war, decline to manually choose the Rab Mahnet. This permanently disables player selection, but allows automatic selection. The way this works is that starting the turn after war breaks out, any qualifying FM, including FH and FL, inside of a settlement with Council Administration could be elected to Rab Mahnet. To guarantee that it's your faction leader, have everyone previously in a Council Administration settlement step outside while your FL steps in. Yes, it's complicated, but until 2.4 rolls out with its revamped Carthage, you gotta do this to unlock those Late Libyan units, improved governments, and the ability to construct Foreign Military Colonies outside of the Punic heartlands

Wait, the same guy has to be both? That’s insane! Geez, this really needs to be changed, and the player guide needs to be clearer as well.

Do you have any idea how to get peace? I’ve not been at war or invading rebel territories, but it’s been years. I couldn’t select a new war leader even if I wanted to. I fight rebels in my territory, does this prevent peace? What do I have to do and how long do I need to wait?

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Are you sure it needs to be both? I understand that it says that in the player guide, but in the previous version 2.35 you only needed a Rab Mahnet/War Leader to have the Barcid Trait. I don't believe they changes the reforms for this version 2.35A

In terms of the battles you need to win 6 our more, and I have the notion it only counts if the apposing army must has more than 8 or 10 units. A team member should be able to confirm.

As per player guide, you can't select a War Leader (using available script) that is also a faction leader or Heir, so it shouldn't make much sense to have as a pre-requisite to the reforms.

Am personally playing a carthage campaign at the moment, still have 10 years or so before I reach the start of the reforms, so I can try to see if I can get them easier. I like to play slow, so I didn't blitz Italy (yet)
    Last edited by Raiuga; May 06, 2021 at 04:23 AM.

It doesn’t need to be both, I got it after choosing a war leader. The players guide is wrong, it includes faction leader next to War leader in the reform requirements, but doesn’t say and/or. Turns out that it shouldn’t say it at all. Peace, by the way, takes forever. That also needs to be changed.

I’ve heard 8 before. The problem is that I blitz Italy in sieges. The reason I struggle with getting reforms is that I goofed and chose a non-Barcid war leader the first time, and was never at peace after that. The problem with the long peace window is that I would getting attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    ...but until 2.4 rolls out with its revamped Carthage...
    How do we know Carthage is getting revamped? Is there a list of planned changes for 2.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Priest View Post
    How do we know Carthage is getting revamped? Is there a list of planned changes for 2.4?
    It's one of the projects for the 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by torf View Post
    It's one of the projects for the 2.4
    Ok, but where can I find more info?

For what it's worth, I can appreciate what the development team is trying to do with Carthage/Rome. But I think they're trying too hard to make reforms and government systems in a game that really doesn't support them. The result is that Rome and Carthage have an extremely convoluted playstyle that comes from managing a strict political/government/military reform system which is difficult to understand and interact with.

So if they're revamping Carthage in 2.4 to make it simpler/more accessible then I'd be all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Priest View Post
    Ok, but where can I find more info?
    The team have announced the revamp of this faction.

But as the work isn't currently finished, nothing else have been announced.

The reforms are just there to add some flavour for the player. Honestly you guys can make your own Future, timeline, cannon, And just use unit_create carthaginian_infantry_libyan_late and justify your own reason for it. Say for instance you were at war with rome from start of game, maybe in your timeline the kart hadast decide to copy romes infantry tactics. History is full of what ifs, imagine if alexander never died, how would military tactics have looked? The reforms can easily be circumvented, altho anything that does make the reforms "simpler" is always welcome. A submod to remove all this stuff in a [optional] folder would be great.