Thread: "Defeat imminent"? (Remastered)

Icon5 "Defeat imminent"? (Remastered)

I'm playing a short campaign (medium difficulty) as Carthage and doing very well. Wiped out Brutii and Scipii already. Now, on turn 19, I get the message that the Gauls are about to claim victory over me. I'm not at war with them.

What's this? Does every faction play by the "wipe out 2 predetermined enemies, hold 15 regions" rules? And Gaul is about to accomplish that goal and end my campaign?

I don't remember this from the original game (but then I always played a long campaign in that one).
    Last edited by EgyptianNecrophiliac; May 05, 2021 at 08:33 AM.

Default Re: "Defeat imminent"? (Remastered)

Wow, Gaul never did well in the original. I'm glad to see they can in the Remaster.

Yes, every faction plays by those rules. Even if you lose though, it is possible to keep playing and conquer the map.

Also by turn 19? In the original the AI would never move that quickly. Good job AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Wow, Gaul never did well in the original. I'm glad to see they can in the Remaster.

Yes, every faction plays by those rules. Even if you lose though, it is possible to keep playing and conquer the map.

Also by turn 19? In the original the AI would never move that quickly. Good job AI.
    The message might be a warning about my own play rather than Gaul's. They may be close to 15 regions, but I looked at the victory conditions for Gaul (in the new game menu) - they have to defeat/outlast both Julii and the SPQR. In my game they haven't even been at war with the Julii. They're trading partners with them. I'm besieging Rome however. So if I wipe out SPQR + Julii I'll hand victory to the Gauls rather than myself, because Carthage's requirement is to defeat Scipii (done) and Spain (just getting started on this).

The AI factions also play by the same set of victory conditions as you, so if you play a short campaign you'll periodically receive notifications that they're making progress towards winning. From what I seem to recall especially Egypt tends to do really well early on, so you often get a message about them moving closer to their goal.

If I recall correctly you get the message when they're 3 regions away from possessing the minimum amount of required regions, e.g. if Egypt needs 15 regions you'll get a message when Egypt owns 12 regions. What it doesn't take into account, however, is that all the factions also need to have eliminated or outlasted one or two factions on top of also having at least 15 regions. This is usually the harder of the two objectives since you'll usually get the amount of required regions when you are in the process of taking out the rival factions.
    If you do get a message telling you one of the AI factions is getting closer to winning, just check the factions rankings overview to check if their rival factions still are alive. If they are, then there's generally no cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensyvtre View Post
    The AI factions also play by the same set of victory conditions as you, so if you play a short campaign you'll periodically receive notifications that they're making progress towards winning. From what I seem to recall especially Egypt tends to do really well early on, so you often get a message about them moving closer to their goal.

If I recall correctly you get the message when they're 3 regions away from possessing the minimum amount of required regions, e.g. if Egypt needs 15 regions you'll get a message when Egypt owns 12 regions. What it doesn't take into account, however, is that all the factions also need to have eliminated or outlasted one or two factions on top of also having at least 15 regions. This is usually the harder of the two objectives since you'll usually get the amount of required regions when you are in the process of taking out the rival factions.
    If you do get a message telling you one of the AI factions is getting closer to winning, just check the factions rankings overview to check if their rival factions still are alive. If they are, then there's generally no cause for concern.
    Alright. Thank you.