Thread: Just came back to the mod after a few months hiatus and AI seems ultra hyper aggressive

Default Just came back to the mod after a few months hiatus and AI seems ultra hyper aggressive

Greetings all,

I was wondering if there were any diplomacy changes made in any recent patches, I haven't played DEI in 4 or 5 months and I just came back to enjoy some good ol' classical period shenanigans. Unfortunately I am having some issues with an AI with over 100 positive relations and Reliable rating declaring war on me for seemingly no reason in one campaign, while on another campaign I started the same thing happened, though this time it was 2 AI factions with over 100 positive relations (though they were both treacherous, so not entirely unsurprising). I had non-aggression pacts established with all 3 of the AI factions.

I know on higher difficulties the AI is hardwired to be more aggressive towards the player, but I am just playing on normal campaign / normal battle.

Anyway, the AI seems to be acting different than what I am used to, so I am just curious if it is a result of tweaks made to AI aggressiveness, or if I am just supremely unlucky.

Thank you and have a great week .

Edit: Wanted to include the bit about having NAPs with all of these AI factions as well.
    Last edited by Jimalim; May 04, 2021 at 11:25 PM.

Default Re: Just came back to the mod after a few months hiatus and AI seems ultra hyper aggressive

The way the AI is hardcoded in this game almost necessitates at least some level of savescumming. Basically if you neighbor a faction, and that faction does not perceive you to be significantly stronger than it (roughly represented by the gold vs red bar in the diplomacy screen), it has a random chance to declare war on you every turn no matter what your relationship to it is, though that chance is higher on the harder difficulties. There was once a time I liberated a faction(meaning it was militarily allied with me and had a highly positive relationship with me), and it IMMEDIATELY declared war on me at the end of the very turn I liberated it (I was playing on VH). You better believe I savescummed after that lol. Honestly unless I start with a powerful faction like Romans/Ptolemies I have no problem savescumming in the early game when something like that happens or when a powerful AI faction declares war on my little 1 settlement faction. Still, to those who insist on playing this game the "purist" way, my hat is off to you, though you are probably not going to have a good time unless you like that sort of thing lol.

Default Re: Just came back to the mod after a few months hiatus and AI seems ultra hyper aggressive

Thanks for the response Legatus88 . Some good insight here, I wonder if there is a submod or something I could tweak to make this work out better. I am actually one of those "purist" players who doesn't do saves and reloads though unless is absolutely necessary due to a bug or some such, so I'd like to be able to play without doing that, hehe.

There are submods like the softcore mod if you want to make it a bit easier in the early game, and you can then turn it off later when you get a bit more powerful.

Just to note that nothing has been changed with AI aggression recently, its many times random Rome 2 diplomacy dice roll antics.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----