Thread: [Election-IV-2021] Consul Debate Thread

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Gaming Staff Censor

Blog Entries

Default [Election-IV-2021] Consul Debate Thread

Consul Debate Thread

Ages come and pass, and so Athelstans term is over. It is now time to go to the polls and apply.

Application Thread.

Consul Explained
    • The Consul serves a 4 month term as the care-taker of the Curia. The office ensures the Constitution is correctly applied and is responsible for interpreting it when needed, having the final say on Curial procedure not clearly stated in the Constitution. The Consul acts as a local moderator of the Curia and its related fora and is responsible for ensuring the Curia's day-to-day tasks are accomplished. Two Censors, appointed by the Consul, assist with Curial tasks.

The Consul has a wide-range of responsibilities one of which includes managing citizenship applications: adding polls, archiving finished applications, informing patrons and the applicant of the outcome. They also manage the citizenship groups accepting new citizens into their desired group. The office is also responsible for managing the Prothalamos to move proposal threads to votes, archive the results, and amend the Constitution or inform Hex of a Decision or an Award that needs to be granted depending on the type of proposal. Additionally, the Consul organizes election threads, checks the eligibility of candidates, and archives the results. The Consul collates and publishes Curial activity in the Tabularium registers and in the Curia Reports and is furthermore encouraged to post Articles about the on-goings of the Curia.

The Consul can be identified by a Bold Purple Username and the following badge:

Consul Requirements
    • Consul - citizenship for at least three months; cannot have received a Curial or Moderation Warning for at least one month

Applications close: May 7th, 16:00 CEST
    Last edited by King Athelstan; May 04, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

Default Re: [Election-IV-2021] Consul Debate Thread

Well applicants? Convince me.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Convincing you?

No. What I am talking about is that KA need to convince us, the citizens in the Curia, to stop acting as a Consul as I have no objection to let KA continue as a Consul for another term.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Emperor Commodus's Avatar So uh, what is Poggers?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

KA will put his hat in the ring if he feels he wishes to sit in the position once again. If he remains largely silent through the process, that will be its own statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Well applicants? Convince me.
    Lets see, you, specifically. The easy answer is indeterminable, I'm not sure which logic I may appeal with that is appealing. The consul position these days is to simply be, not warranting more qualification than to be the most vaguely popular individual willing to hold the seat (sorry, KA). An era of calm, the Great Quiet with a linear progression.

Intrigue is the natural condition of the Curia, and of that there hasn't been nearly anything lately. Little to stir charisma. What better way to start than acquiring the bolded purple so I may stride with the purpose of meager empowerment from a mostly bored voting clientele, and proceed to use my new powers to their limited maximum in a drive for intrigue. The natural state for over a decade has been the system cannibalizing itself smaller and smaller until less to no point remains except to simply exist. I wish to play at a strongman personality who may incidentally perform the radical action, if not the regular eyebrow raising one. What that entails specifically I cannot describe in full. I'm told brevity is good and it does not work well for an unorganized organizer.

More or less I depend on a platform of sincere unpredictability with a chance to do good, and at this point I believe the site needs nothing less than radicals of title to adjust the way of things. If not for good progress, then at least for a term to remember.

Plus I would painstakingly inflict my commotext across all official functions so people can interpret the complicated ways I write mundane things. That should be more than enough right there to be honest.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Should the curator be more of an arbiter or a janitor?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Akar's Avatar Psuedokhristos
    Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

According to the constitution the answer is "both".

Want to play TWC D&D? Click here | Join the Thema Devia Discord here
    If you'd like you see my graphics workshop click here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Proud Patron of Sara Temer and Cope

Citizen

Blog Entries

A consul should be what is necessary, which has been janitor with rare opportunity as arbiter. Perhaps they should be an activist or leader, though that is not a constitutional role.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    According to the constitution the answer is "both".
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Commodus View Post
    A consul should be what is necessary, which has been janitor with rare opportunity as arbiter. Perhaps they should be an activist or leader, though that is not a constitutional role.
    If that's gonna to happen then we need a political atomsphere in the Curia in which requires a direct involvement of the existing Houses, but the Houses must be a lot more active than what it is today.

So, if you wanna that to happen then compose a proposal and post it in the Prothalamos.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

What have the houses got to do with it? I like the idea of a more proactive Consul chasing us around a couple issues. Might be entertaining.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    If that's gonna to happen then we need a political atomsphere in the Curia in which requires a direct involvement of the existing Houses, but the Houses must be a lot more active than what it is today.

So, if you wanna that to happen then compose a proposal and post it in the Prothalamos.
    I do not believe the current infrastructure is inherently able to generate activity, certainly not the Houses which are built on pseudo random lineage and dominantly favor one house in particular.

Furthermore it is my angle that the Curia cannot simply discuss itself into being useful, it must become useful by virtue of a commanding presence that can use the flimsy optics of badge and title to perform exactly what Iskar suggests. To do, not discuss as people unwilling to actually put forth. The Proth is a means, but not the primary tool. It is where well meaning but diverging opinions go to die or compromise into inefficiency. I would like to see what happens when a Consul in his limited powers and prestige-backed historical role can do to personally kick the nest and when it is so kicked, then present amendments that reflect and officiate the state of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    What have the houses got to do with it? I like the idea of a more proactive Consul chasing us around a couple issues. Might be entertaining.
    Politics, what else.

And sometimes politics will breed downfall of a house, just what Senate politics was in the Roman Republic.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm all for a good round of politics, but they should at least pretend to carry functional use or significance as well. That is indeed the realm of a Proth proposal.

Or maybe it's another matter for someone to strike up the torch with, shake up the system. That is politics of its own, and one that might just achieve something even if a few months of entertainment. Anyone can do. It's only the person who tries that is remembered for it. Tries and corrects their path where need be.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Artifex Moderation Mentor Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

To the applicants:
    How do you consider personal references made in the Curia and in the Proth and how will you deal with them?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

Citizen

Blog Entries

To a point I don't consider personal references bad if they make a civil point. In some ways they're more relevant here than anywhere. Bearing in mind I would have little gravitas regarding ToS based moderation, I would say I'd carry a responsibility for civility itself and egregious examples (ie, there are nasty and cheap personal references you can make and those should go). Mainly I'd consider my role to be toning down a hot situation and refocusing point when it goes too far sideways in a thread, not micromanaging post contents - which I really rather not do to commentators even if it is getting a bit heated. I'm not beyond drawing a line and outright pitching posts in clear breach of that line for the above scenarios, though.

Further action and extremes I would probably draw on the advisement of Hex. Open to correction as far as my boundaries, closer to the time and with a higher chance of election I intend to take closer looks for accuracy. As it is, been on a binge of old things.

Blog Entries

I'm happy with what I've heard, and I won't run for Consul this time, happily passing the mantle over to someone else.

That being said, I'm especially interested in what Commodus has said both here and in private, and I would love to see him get a shot at this. It might get spicy, but it will mean that things will happen.
    and Peaman

Akar's Avatar Psuedokhristos
    Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

To the applicants:
    How do you consider personal references made in the Curia and in the Proth and how will you deal with them?
    The constitution explicitly allows them outside of otherwise rule-breaking situations.

Due to the nature of the Curia and its related fora, The Consul recognizes that off topic and personal references are allowed, within reason.

Want to play TWC D&D? Click here | Join the Thema Devia Discord here
    If you'd like you see my graphics workshop click here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Proud Patron of Sara Temer and Cope

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Roma in aeternum
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Should the curator be more of an arbiter or a janitor?
    The Consul position is more of an administrative one, in that he is posting polls and archiving threads, compiling reports. I do believe, however, that the role should be used to advance legislation designed to improve board activity and participation.

They are to be allowed, within reason. The Curia is well known for conflicts of a personal nature and it is important that these type of interactions be limited. To that end I will be seeking the assistance of an experience board member as a Censor to help deal with these issues. In addition, a more junior member will be levied so they gain gain experience and insight into the position.

Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Artifex Moderation Mentor Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for your answers.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

You can vote here, and also continue to discuss in this thread.
    and Peaman