Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disaapointment

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Disaapointment

Unable to run, as my gaming computer is on Windows 7. Which made me look into installing Linux again.

Cant post a negative review since I have no time in the game, which I think is why they pinned it all to one version of Windows 10. Clever.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

The ui is a mess i came here to see if it was just me but clearly not.

Remastered left people with mixed feelings on release but it has life support and devs are actually working on new bugfixes and what interests modders (there will be no new rosters, no new dlcs here...).

With Win 10 machine and GTX1070 Remastered works perfectly for me. This is clearly a remaster for modern machines, not old ones. Installed it on HDD and there are indeed some slight lags and slow loading times of some assets but nothing you can't live with - but if you can spare space... THEN use SSD.

So let's sum up...

))

1. Audio issues said they are working on it (there is actually a whole new system for audio in place with some new triggers like "looping sounds" all open for modders in a txt - guess that's where the audio bugs are coming from through I never really had those)

2. AI pathfinding they said they're still looking into (but better keep low expectations, this stuff is hard). And terrible "AI pathfinding" people are reporting is the same pathfinding that's been there with RTW and MED2... the beast that you know but one you accept because *at the very least* you can enjoy very narrow city streets and fights where you're cornered. Unlike modern TWs... Also, now it's simpler to manage it in a fight with 'alt'. So you move your entire phalanx formation forward and make sure it's green then it works. Rather than try and tell them to create a new similar formation in a narrow street... which never works.

3. UI, cards, looks, assets... all can be changed by mods, no harm done. Although UI in particular indeed a huge pain if unmodded. Designed to remind you of the new TW games thus not really functional (RTW is the very opposite of new TWs!).

4. Faction limit like Medieval 2 (kind of ok at least it's not inferior to Med2 one - and they say engine can bear no more... ). More regions confirmed. Hopefully other important limits increased as well which they said they're looking into. HUGE plus if they actually do it

5. We will have some new tools in due time. And the campaign map can look gorgeous and really modern now while still completely moddable.

6. Speaking of which - the game graphics are amazing! I find it pretty good on vanilla but if you say it's worse than well-modded Medieval 2 or Rome 2 - think again. They'll open up their internal shaders for modders and this is RTW that can actually use your machine's resources. Use Reshade on top for even more tweaks! Make it look however you like...

7. No classic config file but you can do some things with that other file the game is using (at first glance looks more complex). Grass distance seemed to work when I tested. Someone showed it's possible to set max value of soldier number to 400 I think. I need to experiment with my game sometime and whether it breaks sieges (if compared to their experimental option which I am playing on and really see no difference for most stuff).

8. You can move followers now, sure... but don't worry, I don't think the AI knows how to use this option which means it is just fluff and has no consequence (assuming the player doesn't use the feature to cheat). Treat the trait system as always. Still, could be fun to create your own personal dictator sometimes... like they accumulate titles and seals haha

9. New diversity variants system which is done "in the way that doesn't hinder the engine" - skin color, hairs etc. Feral said it would be more difficult to create shield/helmet/armor variants like Medieval 2 because the system is completely different here (not sure how exactly? not sure how this system works yet) but they also said "who knows, everything is possible" so no idea. There is hope that complete diversity IS possible. But maybe requires more work/workarounds, no idea.

10. Higher res .tga files, so this is about graphics again. Better looking cities/units. More complex models too, most likely - the engine can handle them, I think?

11. I've seen soldiers get some particles and dirt on them in rain, system like Medieval 2. Seen nothing else so far (snow etc) but I guess custom made ones are possible then. Like blood.

(( now for bad stuff...

1. Unless this was a feature enabled by scripting... I think Medieval 2 alliances were actually alliances (asked you whether you wanna go to war and help your ally, or betray them). Rome alliances are... well... they're nothing really.

2. Medieval 2 allowed you to control the AI during battle - go there, stand here (tell them to stand next to you and create a neat battle line, for example). With Remastered... it's missing. A huge pain. There is always hope they'll have more time later on and include some Med 2 features but... well, hope dies last but it's not like new TWs actually have this feature ( I think?).

3. Animation is unchanged. So... a bit more rigid than Medieval 2. Then again, while Medieval 2 has a better flow of battle than Warscape engine imo (where it looks like animations are colliding with one another not soldiers), Rome 1 collision style is... unique and so much fun in a way. Even on Medieval 2 I always had this feeling during intense battles in tight spots that my units turn into massive weird blobs sometimes. In Rome 1 engine collision is just INTENSE.

4. Soldiers sometimes get stuck running in place... during battle. Or running aimlessly like weird dolls in search of a target amongst the bloodshed. Not very cinematic. Was much better on Medieval 2.

5. In case of complete diversity not being possible due to some weird engine limitations and/or difficulty of it... well, it's kind of bad. But then again, based on vanilla you can clearly achieve "some" diversity

So hmm. Disappointment? Not really. Whether it'll live on and bask in glory? Time will tell!

I, for one, even with all the minuses pointed out... will have a hard time to go back to Medieval 2 graphics and technological downsides so I sure hope the Remaster can eventually bask in glory. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; July 04, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

Was looking forward to having a good time playing an old game that didn't some of the problems the first release did. After about 30, maybe 45 minutes of struggling though the introduced "improvements" I shut it down. Most all of the reasons have already been expressed.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Just release the source code to the community, players will fix it properly...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12