Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to make late game less tedious?

Default Any way to make late game less tedious?

I can never play for more then 100 rounds since by that time I own almost the entire Balkans leading to me bordering every single nation in existence. This leads to me being declared on by another country every few rounds and then I need to spend all my resources on wiping out 1 of those countrys completely since peace deals are impossible to make while I gotta fight off army after army from all my neighbours as it takes several rounds to send my new made armys there. I havent played any of the big empires yet like Byz or Hungary but it probably doesnt change much outside of it being easier. Vanilla also had these problems but the less provinces meant you could relaxe for a long time when wiping out the enemys army.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Any way to make late game less tedious?

I have not played the mod but:
    I don't think it is possible to do that. When you own the Entire Balkans, then you own the Balkans. You are indeed unstoppable. I remind you that Empires never fall from outside, but from the inside. As M2TW (aside of Britannia) doesn't have a good system for your empire to face a serious civil war with 2/3rds of your settlements splitting, it is not easy to do what you want.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Yes it's an issue for sure. The AI is just too stupid. I have noticed that it is more likely than Vanilla to accept vassalship, which can help a lot with that. That said, the way Medieval 2 works, this issue probably cant' be truly fixed. If nations accepted peace then you would become so strong you could conquer small nations one by one and really just steamroll over the map.

It does present a sort of a challenge, but i agree that it's very annoying when you have to fight multiple battles per turn

Miszel's Avatar Domesticus

There is no good way to improve late game Medieval 2 gameplay. The only thing i can suggest is roleplaying or chosing other factions. Venice for example is quite challenging if you try to maintain your empire in its historical shape, you can also play as a kingmaker and decide tha fate of the other factions that become too powerfull by taking their cities and giving back to weaker ones.

There are not enough internal mechanics in this game that would allow for late game to be harder without being stupidly punitive or frustrating.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Make some house rules for yourself to make things more challenging. Like Miszel said--roleplay. Do what the faction did or would have done historically. Are you using hardcore mode?

The mid to late game steamroll is hard to avoid in TW games as a rule.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If you want to make sure you have an interesting campaign, in my opinion, follow advice above with regards to house rules and role play. Think of it as writing a book as you go along. Every character has a life and background.
    Also it greatly helps to cheat on behalf of the AI
    Yes, I actually aid my enemies. I cede land, money, I allow the Ottomans to become powerful for one example, I don't allow myself to completely loose but one example I played was thus.
    The Roman Empire fights civil war. Gains territory, power, holds Morea, Lesbos, Thrace.
    Then Thrace and surrounding environs are lost to Turks after kallipoli incident.
    Unfortunately we don't have a Amadeos of Savoy to land with his crusader army.
    So can make your own and attempt to retake Black Sea cities or whatever....
    I play a scenario where 1453 arrives and I have to fight ridiculous odds with my alliance just to hold my territories.
    It's fun.
    Otherwise it's like playing chess with the mirror

Edit: It is a pity that nobles 'family members' other characters do not have to challenge or seek permission of other nobles (even if same faction! Especially sometimes ) before crossing territory.
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; May 03, 2021 at 03:35 AM.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Is the issue that the late game is too boring because you conquered and defeated everyone? Or is the issue that it is too difficult as you are fighting too many wars at the same time?

If it's the first issue than we can try and fix it with late game events and scripts like invasions and the like. Plus more frequent re-emergence of defeated factions and more ramped up AI.

If it's the second issue than I think it's more up to the player to try and expand in ways which they are not engaging with too many enemies at a time. Also, keeping AI factions friendly by regularly gifting them things.

@Antiokhos. Actually we do have Amadeus of Savoy landing. But he attacks only Bulgaria since it's not really possible to tell rebels how to move on from one target to another.

I bow to your historians and scriptors
    Though as a Roman player I would of liked to control him. Though I could get up to all sorts if unhistorical things with a crusading army in the middle of a civil war

The game is very unstable for me. Lots of crashes in between turns into dekstop. Also good old clicking med2 crashes into dekstop are very real in this mod. Anyone experience lots of crashes to dekstop by just clicking things?

To me it was extremely stable. Try the unofficial patch that can help with the memory crashes (google it, we can't name it on the forum i believe)

fixed with LAA. But have another problem now. In all my games and and mods I can change video options and brightness but in this mod I cannot. The screen is darker and nothing changes even if I change video options in original med2 or any other mod like EB2 or DAC or SS. Anyone knows whats going on? Why the mod is not allowing me to change video options? Video settings change in all my mods but this one not? Has it anything to do when I ran file named cleaner.bat in the tsardoms folder?
    Last edited by bordinis; July 26, 2021 at 09:44 AM.

Hmm, never encountered such an issue. You should be able to change any video option you want. The cleaner.bat has nothing to do with video settings.

Fixed the problem now. So it works well..

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    As M2TW (aside of Britannia) doesn't have a good system for your empire to face a serious civil war with 2/3rds of your settlements splitting, it is not easy to do what you want.
    And unfortunately that eats up a faction slot so it can only be used for some factions at most.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Strangely enough i find early games to be tedious since much of neccesary infrastructure hasn't been build yet(feudal building,barracks and roads) so since i restart midway playthrough a lot i cheat a lot on early game(mostly battle and occasionaly money) to remove tediousness of early games which i have beaten so many times i just want to skip bypass it.

But at mid-late game i give cheat to my opponent instead in hope to make them stronger rival especially Ottoman who tends to be passive and then sandwiched by Roman, Hospitaller/Aydin and Karaman

It makes it easier to play as well as writing my own story for campaign.

Late game with plagues is unplayable, must be a way to eliminate them from the files

What do you mean with plagues? Do you get lots of plagues or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    What do you mean with plagues? Do you get lots of plagues or something?
    death stalks the land, i know is a vanilla thing, but its one after another

Is it everywhere on the map? Or just specific area. Sounds very strange. Trying to think it's just a streak of bad luck or some error somewhere causing this.

Also be mindful that agents such as spies can spread the plague. If the AI has lots of spies moving around and they go into a plagued city then they can just spread it everywhere they go.
    Last edited by Wallachian; November 20, 2021 at 07:27 AM.

I get plaque outbreaks but it's never an issue. It is the middle ages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast