Thread: A couple of improvements to the campaign map

Libertus

Default A couple of improvements to the campaign map

Salve !
    Hello everyone.

I have noticed some things that are not all right with the campaign map.
    For example in the Greece region between Corinth and Athens there is a small stretch of land and the merchant ships are sailing straight trough this land, which doesn't make any sense. In other regions there are some anomalies which look like dirt pyramids. Some rivers do not end in the sea, they just disappear. And a lot of ugly water triangles on the shores.

Just take a look at the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greece.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	516.3 KB 
ID:	364713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenkoran earth pyramids.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	434.5 KB 
ID:	364714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North Britannia pyramid.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	364715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river.jpg 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	364716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South Italy pyramid.jpg 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	364717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water triangles 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	364718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water triangles 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	364719

I have managed to remove all problems:
    - dirt pyramids on the shores are gone;
    - the river ends now in the sea;
    - the merchant ships do not sail across the land between Corinth and Athens anymore;
    - the ugly water triangles on the shores are gone (for a complete removal of all the water triangles on the entire map I must work a lot, there is an pixel by pixel work).

For all of these corrections I have used the file map_heights.tga. I have discovered some bad pixels in it. Normally the land should be only in shades of grey, but I have found a lot of pixels in other colours (mainly shades of blue), and some pixels on the sea near the shore who had different colours as the rest of the sea.

Take a look at the screenshots bellow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greece corrected.jpg   Italy corrected.jpg   Britannia corrected.jpg  
    Last edited by ovidiu; November 04, 2021 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: A couple of improvement to the campaign map

Good work would you like to make available these fixes for the public? I can post this as a small Graphic Patch, you did a great job. The map was giving to me by another large mod which had a better map, when they converted it over to SPQR it didn't come out perfect, I TRIED to fix the problems, but the ones you found are the ones I missed. There were a lot of fixes to get it to work with my mod.

Let me know on the files,

Quote Originally Posted by ovidiu View Post
    Salve !
    Hello everyone.

I have noticed some things that are not all right with the campaign map.
    For example in the Greece region between Corinth and Athens there is a small stretch of land and the merchant ships are sailing straight trough this land, which doesn't make any sense. In other regions there are some anomalies which look like dirt pyramids. Some rivers do not end in the sea, they just disappear. And a lot of ugly water triangles on the shores.

Just take a look at the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greece.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	516.3 KB 
ID:	364713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenkoran earth pyramids.jpg 
Size:	434.5 KB 
ID:	364714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North Britannia pyramid.jpg 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	364715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river.jpg 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	364716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South Italy pyramid.jpg 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	364717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water triangles 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	364718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water triangles 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	364719

I have managed to remove all problems:
    - dirt pyramids on the shores are gone;
    - the river ends now in the sea;
    - the merchant ships do not sail across the land between Corinth and Athens anymore;
    - the ugly water triangles on the shores are gone (for a complete removal of all the water triangles on the entire map I must work a lot, there is an pixel by pixel work).

For all of these corrections I have used the file map_heights.tga. I have discovered some bad pixels in it. Normally the land should be only in shades of grey, but I have found a lot of pixels in other colours (mainly shades of blue), and some pixels on the sea near the shore who had different colours as the rest of the sea.

Take a look at the screenshots bellow.

Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956 View Post
    Good work would you like to make available these fixes for the public? I can post this as a small Graphic Patch, you did a great job. The map was giving to me by another large mod which had a better map, when they converted it over to SPQR it didn't come out perfect, I TRIED to fix the problems, but the ones you found are the ones I missed. There were a lot of fixes to get it to work with my mod.

Let me know on the files,
    I will gladly share the files with all of you, but for the moment I have putted this "small" (it is not that small actually) project on pause. I will resume it later after I am done with the other project that I have started.
    I have started a bigger one, and that is an overhaul of the entire map. For the last two weeks I am working hard on it. My only enemy is the free time. Until now I have managed to rework the following regions: Italia, Gallia, Britannia and the far east. The hole process takes a lot of time because I am trying to be as accurate as possible and for that I must put some research into it.
    This project includes the addition of new regions, renaming of some regions and towns, replacing of some towns, redrawing of some regions and many other things.
    I will share more in the near future and probably I should create a new thread dedicated to this. My work is based on a couple of old maps that I have found over the Internet. I will share those to.
    Last edited by ovidiu; May 08, 2021 at 04:22 PM.

Any news on this project, I would like to add the link to the download page, it would be sad to see others not enjoy this patch
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Libertus

Hi Lt.
    The project is around 99% completed. I must add the final touches. Soon it will be available.

Wow! This is so great that you took the time to work on something like this after all these years! Much respect Ovidiu, I too look forward to this project being completed!