Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What units would you add to EBII?

Default What units would you add to EBII?

This post is just for fun and some discussion of what we could add if we didn't had this unit limitation.
    But I've added some new units on my own build, from another mod and I've enjoying a lot.
    Some of the new units are Bruttian Swordsmen which are really needed in Southern Italy due to lack of swordmen units there. I also added a Syracusan Noble cavalry which gave more importance to Syracuse and Sikelian Hoplitai Haploi which again, allows the game to focus more on the importance of Sicily.

What units would you add if you add the chance? Maybe Athenian Hoplites/Marines?

Default Re: What units would you add to EBII?

Kestrosphedonetai for Makedonia, Gastraphetai (is it correct?) for all hellenic faction is few places, Polybolos for hellenic factions, Cataphract Archers for Parthia...

Red Sea hoplites and a mellee camel unit for Numidia

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

A variation in hellenic cataphracts were possible, like the Bactrians, more units in that corner of the world in general, but I think quite a lot would go into what if scenarios, like Yuezhi, Tocharians of the Taklamakan City States, Hindu Kush natives, Indo-Scythian units, Indo-Greek units (if there is even more possible for them). Same in the Black sea and Pontic steppe and Caucasus. Probably a lot of stuff I could add but I dont have in my head right now Also speaking from a point of relative ignorance in comparison to the team.

Also do you make your own skins, textures etc for the units ? I thought about doing the same, starting modding the game for my own enjoynment down the line, maybe cutting corners on rosters in places I dont visit and dont have much of an impact on my games, if possible interchangeable (like Britannia, apart from the mercenaries they provide on the main land, some celtic units in the west etc.).
    Last edited by Marvzilla; April 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM.

Elite Berikaoba Skirmishers

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    Elite Berikaoba Skirmishers
    +1

Ptolemaic reformed machimoi of the late period. So basically machimoi thureophoroi, machimoi hippeis reformed (given lands). Also an upgrade for hellenistic hetairoi of the seleucids/baktria for heavier armour, becoming sort of half-cataphracts. Rhodian Slingers. Pontus having an upgrade for their cavalry units (bodyguard, khuveshavagan) to represent progressive hellenization, like in EB1. My favorite unit in EB1 was the late game pontic bodyguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Ptolemaic reformed machimoi of the late period. So basically machimoi thureophoroi, machimoi hippeis reformed (given lands). Also an upgrade for hellenistic hetairoi of the seleucids/baktria for heavier armour, becoming sort of half-cataphracts. Rhodian Slingers. Pontus having an upgrade for their cavalry units (bodyguard, khuveshavagan) to represent progressive hellenization, like in EB1. My favorite unit in EB1 was the late game pontic bodyguard.
    Honestly I think more armour upgrades are needed across the board. I need my chainmail-wearing Kretan assault troops dammit!

Screeching Women

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Screeching Women
    Sweet memories. Man, that game was so historically inaccurate it was really entertaining. Those pharao-pikemen tho...

Italic infantry kinda lack diversity especially heavy, Samnites maybe.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    A variation in hellenic cataphracts were possible, like the Bactrians, more units in that corner of the world in general, but I think quite a lot would go into what if scenarios, like Yuezhi, Tocharians of the Taklamakan City States, Hindu Kush natives, Indo-Scythian units, Indo-Greek units (if there is even more possible for them). Same in the Black sea and Pontic steppe and Caucasus. Probably a lot of stuff I could add but I dont have in my head right now Also speaking from a point of relative ignorance in comparison to the team.

Also do you make your own skins, textures etc for the units ? I thought about doing the same, starting modding the game for my own enjoynment down the line, maybe cutting corners on rosters in places I dont visit and dont have much of an impact on my games, if possible interchangeable (like Britannia, apart from the mercenaries they provide on the main land, some celtic units in the west etc.).
    Can you tell me more about the Hellenic cataphrats part? I'm actually thinking about adding another Hellenic cataphrats into the game but I was thinking about a different concept than the one that currently exists.
    I don't do textures or models but I've learned how to export units from other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    Italic infantry kinda lack diversity especially heavy, Samnites maybe.
    Indeed. That's why I added the Bruttian Swordsmen, really adds a lot to the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Indeed. That's why I added the Bruttian Swordsmen, really adds a lot to the region.
    Oh my apologies i guess i didn't read your OP properly completely missed it, if you ever got permission from the other mod to use them a submod would be much appreciated.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

There are nine Italic regional units (with one more still to come), how many more do you need?

That's not counting some of the Roman units that even non-Roman factions can recruit.

On "late Machimoi" those are Hellenistic units. That's why they shift into the Hellenistic roster later on. Machimoi cavalry partially upgrade to Thureopherontes Hippeis, the infantry partially upgrade to Machairophoroi, the skirmishers to Euzonoi.

Someone mentioned the gastraphetes (which was a hand-held crossbow), that was only used in sieges.

Some of the units/bodyguards from EB1 were a whole lot of fun to use and could warrant inclusion in 2.4, especially these ones (If you are wondering why I only put certain units but not others, its because I just like them... deal with it ):

• Hetairoi Kataphraktoi (Baktria)

I have little idea how reformed bodyguards that are radically different from the original BG (one that would require the use of a unit slot) will be implemented but one can only dream....will it be possible to tie their introduction to the presence of more than one building/event (In this case Thorakitai reforms + BP + presence of highest tier farms (To reflect the humongous estates needed to train and equip such a force))?

• Hysteroi Pezhetairoi (Makedonia)

Can implement as an armor upgrade for Makedonian Phalangitai only after Thorax Reforms.

PS: The Seleucid Hetairoi could also gain an armor upgrade to better reflect their later panoply.

• Pontikoi Thorakitai (Pontos)

I guess these are already partially covered by both Macharaphoroi and Bosporatai Logades. That begs the question, will a more heavily armored and armed version of the Macharaphoroi be considered for 2.4?

• Sahiya Hadabara (Saka Rauka)

These guys are cool, but I guess implementing them would warrant similar considerations to that of the Hetairoi Kataphraktoi.

Honorable mentions:
    • Sahigan Pahr (Late Parthian bodyguard)

• Thorakitai Agemotos Basilikou (Seleucid Elite Spearmen)
    • Dorkim Leebi-Feenikim Aloophim (Elite Liby-Phonecian Infantry)
    • Dorkei Hatkafa (Iberian Assault Infantry)
    • Lancearri (Iberian Elite Cavalry)

Feel free to add more or dash my dreams.... either works .

Your last two are pure fantasy units.

I'd like to see even more armor upgrades. Players get more out of a single unit visually and historical material progress (arms race, or whatever term fits best) is shown.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Your last two are pure fantasy units.
    I stand corrected . Perhaps there are other units not in EB1 or EB2 that are being concepted, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    I stand corrected . Perhaps there are other units not in EB1 or EB2 that are being concepted, good to know.
    One of above has already been captured in another elite unit (Hypaspistai). Basically there's nothing from EB1 that's yet to be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    On "late Machimoi" those are Hellenistic units. That's why they shift into the Hellenistic roster later on. Machimoi cavalry partially upgrade to Thureopherontes Hippeis, the infantry partially upgrade to Machairophoroi, the skirmishers to Euzonoi.
    I wasn't aware, but you're right those units already exist, and would represent well these hellenised egyptians of the late period. Maybe the ptolemaic skin for them could use a darker skintone, I am unsure if that is the case already.

Do the new script that depletes hellenistic pools for garrison duty, affects these hellenistic "machimoi"? They're hellenistic units after all. In that case, I think they should be spared from the script in the late period, as the whole point of giving lands and recruiting these machimoi was to increase the manpower available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast