Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What units would you add to EBII?

Default Re: What units would you add to EBII?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I wasn't aware, but you're right those units already exist, and would represent well these hellenised egyptians of the late period. Maybe the ptolemaic skin for them could use a darker skintone, I am unsure if that is the case already.

Do the new script that depletes hellenistic pools for garrison duty, affects these hellenistic "machimoi"? They're hellenistic units after all. In that case, I think they should be spared from the script in the late period, as the whole point of giving lands and recruiting these machimoi was to increase the manpower available.
    We do think of these things.

No, none of those units are impacted by the Garrison Duty script. So the shift to "Hellenistic Machimoi" doesn't result in them getting drafted.

Dosidataskeli (Vasci Armoured Shock Infantry)

I remember back when I saw this unit in EB1, I thought something was not quite right... plus the stuff about them being "instrumental in the unification of ireland".
    It reminded me of the "spanish" bull warriors from RTW. So yeah, just because it was on EB1 it doesn't mean anything.

distinct hellenistic guard units. by the way there was a thread about adding either new factions or more gameplay mechanics via scripts, what happened to that?
    Last edited by sarpedon21; April 24, 2021 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I'd like to see even more armor upgrades. Players get more out of a single unit visually and historical material progress (arms race, or whatever term fits best) is shown.

I have to agree with this... unless it takes up more unit slots.
    All the unit slots are pretty much accounted for with planned units anyway right?
    . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander the Average View Post
    I have to agree with this... unless it takes up more unit slots.
    All the unit slots are pretty much accounted for with planned units anyway right?
    Armour upgrades take up no unit slots. The issue with them is the hardcoded +2.5 armour that may be inappropriate for some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Armour upgrades take up no unit slots. The issue with them is the hardcoded +2.5 armour that may be inappropriate for some changes.
    I can see how that would be a problem... you'd probably have to overhaul the entire damage and defense/armor system (multiply everything x2.5) to get it to work well... and that seems like a lot of work to do just for armor upgrades.
    . .

I was actually just looking through the EBI roster on the old website, and in comparison the EBII roster feels almost... empty? Especially in regard to factional troops. I mean Rome had multiple Romanised auxiliary units, there were two medium phalangitai units, late bodyguard units etc. It feels like the EBI team threw caution to the wind when it came to filling the unit limits.

Is this because EBII has a much greater focus on regional units, or are you not close to the unit limit yet? With units actually in the game, I know all the slots are filled.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Can you tell me more about the Hellenic cataphrats part? I'm actually thinking about adding another Hellenic cataphrats into the game but I was thinking about a different concept than the one that currently exists.
    I don't do textures or models but I've learned how to export units from other games.

Indeed. That's why I added the Bruttian Swordsmen, really adds a lot to the region.
    As I said I am more student than teacher, I learn more from you guys than anything in that regard. In the east, maybe Yuezhi/Tocharian Cataphracts ? I know theres some pictoral stuff but the earliest is at the time of the Kushans and a bit before which lies outside the timeframe. Same with another nice one Ive seen in a recent osprey is a Romano-Egyptian Heavy cavalryman, but of the time of Antony. If you search for "roman heavy cavalry 1 romano egyptian" you can find the unit inspiration, it actually got included into DEI recently. So sadly I only have very non-academic ideas and inspirations, also hoping for finished Sarmatian cataphracts, maybe those with a late version too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    I was actually just looking through the EBI roster on the old website, and in comparison the EBII roster feels almost... empty? Especially in regard to factional troops. I mean Rome had multiple Romanised auxiliary units, there were two medium phalangitai units, late bodyguard units etc. It feels like the EBI team threw caution to the wind when it came to filling the unit limits.

Is this because EBII has a much greater focus on regional units, or are you not close to the unit limit yet? With units actually in the game, I know all the slots are filled.
    We don't have special "Roman auxiliary" units in EBII, they get access to regional units same as everyone else. Those are their auxiliaries.

Very few factions have exclusive "factional units" and that's by design. Even some Roman units can be recruited by non-Roman factions.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We don't have special "Roman auxiliary" units in EBII, they get access to regional units same as everyone else. Those are their auxiliaries.

Very few factions have exclusive "factional units" and that's by design. Even some Roman units can be recruited by non-Roman factions.
    Sorry I think my question came out wrong.

I know that specific factional units (such as the auxiliaries, late bodyguards) don't appear in EBII because they're filler units that take up valuable unit slots (as well as some of them being fantasy units). I was just wondering that since EBI has a great deal of those filler units, why did EBI have room for these units and EBII doesn't? Is it because of different design philosophies, EBII concentrating on regional units and having less factional troops, and EBI the opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander the Average View Post
    I can see how that would be a problem... you'd probably have to overhaul the entire damage and defense/armor system (multiply everything x2.5) to get it to work well... and that seems like a lot of work to do just for armor upgrades.
    It depends on the unit and how much it got "upgraded" through history. For example, if you give a unit a mail shirt and a new helmet or two, the +2.5 armor it gets with the armor upgrade is justified. But not all units evolved that much, I guess. Still, I'd like to see armor upgrades where ever possible, especially for units that have a long running life - some units are avalable from the start to the finish of EB2's campaign. That's some 280 years, over 1100 turns.

It depends on the unit and how much it got "upgraded" through history. For example, if you give a unit a mail shirt and a new helmet or two, the +2.5 armor it gets with the armor upgrade is justified. But not all units evolved that much, I guess. Still, I'd like to see armor upgrades where ever possible, especially for units that have a long running life - some units are avalable from the start to the finish of EB2's campaign. That's some 280 years, over 1100 turns.
    Yeah it can get strange, particularly with units that remain as plentiful later on as they do at the start, unlike Hoplitai, which are meant to become gradually obsolete.

Hoplitai never go away completely. Their recruitment pools shrink, but they're still available.

Hoplitai never go away completely. Their recruitment pools shrink, but they're still available.
    I've got a Men At Arms book somewhere on the Varangian Guard that claims that Nikephoros Bryennios (I think) wrote that as warriors of proven loyalty, the Varangians were aspidiforoi, i.e. furnished with "splendid circular shields." The pretty pictures in this book do make the shields look like aspides, except for the interior and the grip... which is all wrong.

Anyway. I digress.

What I was trying to get at is... seeing as Hoplites are still around in the endgame... maybe they could get some mail armor too. Maybe some long axes and beards while we're at it.
    . .

I wanna digress too!
    Interesting thing I found out some time ago - Byzantine authors continued to use the term "Hoplitai" to denote shielded heavy infantry.

Back to EB2's Hoplitai - the version we have is awesome. I wonder if there are historical arguments for an armor upgrade, though...

As I dream of a Persia based faction (thinking about atropatene, (although I know It will never happen tho as other regions need a faction more IIRC) I would love having more Iranian proffessional infantry going along the way of a "reformed" iranian armies to kind of emulate a kind of early Sassanian empire formed by atropatène, with different cataphracts and elite infantry, however I have no idea what units that would entail, not to mention I think this would be way too much of an Alt-history approach compared to the direction of the mod.

Yet as a wise man once said : "It's not because you have nothing to say that you should shut up" Edouard Baer.
    Last edited by blackbirdgriffin; April 26, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5

I think some more Axe / light infantry is required. for the Eastern unit roster. or maybe Jewish swordsmen instead of spearmen? that can be used as assault troops? I feel like the Eastern units don't get enough love/ variety to them as the others. We got plenty of hellenistic, celtic, and italic units. But eastern factions not so much.

I'd actually love to see a few planned units (as hinted by the EDU) prioritized into release.

; Bostra Heavy Spearmen

; Gaza Infantry

; Makah Infantry

These infantry will definitely make the Nabatu early game more fun. Nabatu lacks any sort of real heavy infantry at the start of the campaign, an issue that this trio would solve.

; Trained Bedouins

; Dedanite Archer

; Hadramawt Noble Archers

More Sabaean archer(-spearmen) regionals!

; Parthohellenikoi Thureophoroi (Parthian Hellenic Infantry)

This might be a vestigial entry from EBI, but if not, then granting the Parthians real heavy infantry (probably after their Imperial Reform) would patch up a tactical hole in their roster

; Chorasmian Cavalry

Kwarazem as of now has suspiciously weak cavalry recruitment - gobs of Iranian Javelin Cavalry and Sakan Skirmisher Cavalry. Hopefully the planned Chorasmian Cavalry will address that.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Dravidian Mercenaries from the EDU also sound super intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    I'd actually love to see a few planned units (as hinted by the EDU) prioritized into release.

; Bostra Heavy Spearmen

; Gaza Infantry

; Makah Infantry

These infantry will definitely make the Nabatu early game more fun. Nabatu lacks any sort of real heavy infantry at the start of the campaign, an issue that this trio would solve.

; Trained Bedouins

; Dedanite Archer

; Hadramawt Noble Archers

More Sabaean archer(-spearmen) regionals!

; Parthohellenikoi Thureophoroi (Parthian Hellenic Infantry)

This might be a vestigial entry from EBI, but if not, then granting the Parthians real heavy infantry (probably after their Imperial Reform) would patch up a tactical hole in their roster

; Chorasmian Cavalry

Kwarazem as of now has suspiciously weak cavalry recruitment - gobs of Iranian Javelin Cavalry and Sakan Skirmisher Cavalry. Hopefully the planned Chorasmian Cavalry will address that.
    What is the directory of this list? where did you found this EDU file?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast