Thread: Epeirote Governments in Sicily

Laetus

Default Epeirote Governments in Sicily

What would be the "natural"/logical choice of governments when conquering Sicily while playing an Epeirote campaign?
    (I once again just read over the game files for this, for I'm still relatively constrained for actual play-time.)

Since this would happen pre-reform (I intend to keep the Aiakids in power), the choices are a little bit slim, only Strategia and Basileia Xena, since the Laarchia can't be built on the island (at least according to export_descr_buildings.txt).
    Yet both governments don't seem to give the three sicilian provinces even any basic recruitment? While this is no problem for Syracuse because the local Polis (or Metropolis?), Messana has - if I remember correctly - just a Minor Polis and Lilybaeum (of course) none at all.

Is this lack of local recruitment options intended to simulate the difficulties of capturing and holding the island for Pyrrhos (and his successors) or an oversight in export_descr_buildings.txt?
    Since Sicily never comes up in any government options for Epeiros (I checked for the hidden ressources too and not only for the ;;; REGION-NAMES) I would guess the latter, but I may be wrong and the former is indeed the case and the player needs to keep relying on greek units and mercenarys, while slowly converting to greek culture (which itself is hampered by the conflict regarding hellenistic colonies and the Basileia Xena).

(As an aside: It came up a while ago in another thread, but I would also love to see Epeiros being able to build Basilike Patris in Pella and Syracuse too and not only in Ambrakia!)

Thanks in advance for any answers and thoughts on this!

Default Re: Epeirote Governments in Sicily

The presence of a polis in both Syrakousai and Messana is indeed why there's no native recruitment for Epeiros (or any other Hellenistic faction) in eastern Sicily, unless they go with an Allied government (with reduced options). It's the same reason you don't get "native" pools in Greece as a Hellenistic faction. Lilubim is slightly trickier because it would similarly offer Hellenistic units, but would expect a polis to be slapped down in short order.

There might be an argument for offering a native pool (since it's definitely considered within Epeiros' natural sphere of influence) until such time as rel_h is high enough to put a polis down. After which time it would then disappear. It has to be keyed on the culture, not presence of the building, because you can't use building conditions in recruitment lines.

As to your last point - done for Release 2.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 20, 2021 at 09:02 AM.

In fact the historians were of the view Lilubim should have a polis_one at game start to reflect the presence of settlements like Herakleia, Selinous, Segesta and Himera. This is now in Release 2.

Laetus

Thanks for the explanation!

I completely forgot about the possibility of Allied Governments. Looking forward to R2 (but will try the "Sicilian campaign" with the current release to see how much of a challenge it's in reality vs. my theoretical thoughts).