Thread: What is the deal with Unrest?

Icon8 What is the deal with Unrest?

I've been playing as the Saka Rauka and things'll seem fine in a settlement, it may have a bit of unrest or none at all. Rebels show up, unrest goes up, makes sense. I destroy the rebels, it goes down overtime (I think). HOWEVER, with Baktria's capitol, I captured it, held it for like, 20 turns, getting the population up with my faction leader until its all the way at 11000 out of 12000 for growth, then unrest starts to skyrocket. My leader had the Tubthumper trait, which increases unrest by 2, but he had other governable traits that offset that. The unrest went from 20 to 70 over the course of a few turns and it rebelled, causing 3 full stacks to absolutely destroy my economy and make my will to live lower. Best part; there were no rebels at all in the province, I had searched it with my armies like crazy. The only possible things I could think of is: Armies in province cause unrest??? Adjacent enemy settlements with enemy armies cause unrest, even if they're not in your province? I have no clue; it's honestly the most frustrating part of EB2 for me, public order control.

I'd just like to know how it works, how to reduce it or prevent it, or if it's just ed.

Default Re: What is the deal with Unrest?

Faction capitals are pretty damn hard to hold. It's either that or the scripted events, which I think would be clear enough if it happened to you.

Also if you capture a city by sacking or enslaving, the unrest reduction is only temporary. You might have changed culture as part of the earlier mentioned events which will lead you to a period of unrest while things adjust.

The best way to stop it is to be really careful, make Baktria your capial (as Saka it's definitely worth it), demolish barracks, be careful with population growth so that you get the full garrison bonus, send your best governor instead of just any one. Lastly even after it's rebelled, if you can beat back the newly reemerged faction, there's nothing stopping you from enslaving the populace and reestablishing order.

Several possiblities:

A. An enemy faction has managed to infiltrate a spy into your settlement

B. The "base unrest" of Baktria is just naturally really high

C. The new Rebellions Script IIRC temporarily increases unrest even more if a medium-sized rebel stack is spawned

Sometimes you just gotta let 'em rebel and then sack the city again.
    Sometimes you have to do it more than once
    . .

Think of it as local baktrians, upset at the new saka rulers telling them how to run their city. Sounds like you had enemy spy inside the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Frohman View Post
    I've been playing as the Saka Rauka and things'll seem fine in a settlement, it may have a bit of unrest or none at all. Rebels show up, unrest goes up, makes sense. I destroy the rebels, it goes down overtime (I think). HOWEVER, with Baktria's capitol, I captured it, held it for like, 20 turns, getting the population up with my faction leader until its all the way at 11000 out of 12000 for growth, then unrest starts to skyrocket. My leader had the Tubthumper trait, which increases unrest by 2, but he had other governable traits that offset that. The unrest went from 20 to 70 over the course of a few turns and it rebelled, causing 3 full stacks to absolutely destroy my economy and make my will to live lower. Best part; there were no rebels at all in the province, I had searched it with my armies like crazy. The only possible things I could think of is: Armies in province cause unrest??? Adjacent enemy settlements with enemy armies cause unrest, even if they're not in your province? I have no clue; it's honestly the most frustrating part of EB2 for me, public order control.

I'd just like to know how it works, how to reduce it or prevent it, or if it's just ed.
    Do not expect your nomadic horde to immediately know how to govern a large settlement such as Baktria. Settle your horde down first then go for the imperial reform (This will unlock governments much more suited for handling larger settled cities). This should help to massively reduce unrest in the long term along with civil unrest (from culture difference). Additionally, your governor should have the settled trait line (wants to settle, settled nature and settled) which should help to minimize squalor, this should give your governor a better chance of gaining the satisfied supervisor trait, especially if he is sharp.

PS: Trust me, I have been there....the Saka campaign is an absolute pain. But its worth it once you really get the metaphorical imperial ball rolling.
    Last edited by realm56; April 23, 2021 at 07:43 AM.