Thread: RTW: Remastered - our local opinions & observations

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Icon4 RTW: Remastered - our local opinions & observations

EDIT: it seems that every forum has now a thread devoted to the RTW:R, so we shouldn't be the laggards!

My take on the RTW:R:
    - the best review I've seen is that of Darren, while the walkthrough by Jackie Fish (eg. this one).
    - he mentions the potential issues with moding the map - that would be rather lethal for porting the mod,
    - I'd prefer to have a brand new Med3 with map moding possibility.
    - my recent experience with TW is rather disappointing: I've played Thrones and stopped after like 7 games (and painting the map, the only time in my life B-), I've played Troy and stopped in the second part of the first campaign (perhaps because of this or maybe of this).
    - however, the change of the UI in the RTW:R is really great, really, it seem that steering will really up to current standards;
    - if the RTR team would port RTR8 to this game, this would be extraordinary;
    - I'm going to buy the game, I think it's worth to have it, have a look, and perhaps to play.
    JoC

edit: I have bought the game and played 2 comparatively short campaigns. I think it's a good game, with very good changes but still sporting the biggest problems of the RTW that make me not playing that game (even with the mods):
    - very dumb AI, bot CAI and BAI.
    - very bad patchfinding in the battles; soldiers also tend to get stuck in the siege battles.
    - no recruitment-pools that make rebuilding of an army very easy - you don't care about the loses.
    - stack-spam - endless battles as the AI is able to recruit 1 unit per turn per city.

I've forgotten a few superiorities of the Med2 engine over the RTW. In recruitment, it's not only the recruitment pools but also:
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgzu View Post
    Would it be possible to limit the number of units that can be retrained in a city somehow? Conversely, is it possible to increase the number of recruitment slots available? Ideally I'd like to emulate the recruitment system of MTW2, at least to some extent.
    I don't like a few UI changes:
    - no openable double-sided settlement panel (I like RTW and Med2 way of showing the information).
    - going through the faction infos requires a lot of clicking.
    - small icons of buildings and no cards deprive of the feeling of a "settlement" I have in Med2 and RTW (and I don't have in Rome2 - small and limited icons of buildings are horrible).

I find the following reviews to be to the point:
    - HappyCompyTW
    -
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 05, 2021 at 01:31 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: RTW: Remastered - our local opinions & observations

Frankly speaking, after having learnt about the next title of TW, I'm quite happy.
    I thought it would be "Renaissance TW" but it's Pharaoh. That's good for the mod: (1) it increases the chances that there'll be Med2 Remastered, (2) for longer time the competition for the mod (I mean: competition for my time playing the mod) will not increase. I still think the Med2 engine provides best experience, even though 1212 on Attila is ok, and DeI on Rome2 is nice as well. But the problem of the sniping group of armies or not immersive map and cities make Med2 much better.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Terminator on RTW: Rem
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 19, 2023 at 04:01 PM.

And Terminator on M2TW Rem