Thread: Cavalry Speed

Default Cavalry Speed

Hi, I noticed the 'Fast Moving' trait seems to been removed from all cavalry units in the mod. Does anyone know why? I've been playing a Lithuania campaign recently and found it very frustrating during battles when my fresh horse archers couldn't run down general's bodyguard who'd been fighting all battle long and were fully armoured. It felt very frustrating and unimmersive. Every cavalry unit seems to have the same exact speed now, regardless of type.

Default Re: Cavalry Speed

I'm not sure but I believe "fast" mount feature doesn't work anyway, and various cav units have different speed modifiers in EDU.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Normally not all cavalry should have the same speed. It seems to me to have sometimes caught up with a slower unit with light cavalry ... maybe to check in descr_mount ?

It is true that we should have different speeds depending on armor, it makes more sense. We'll have to look at it!
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

If you want a clue , check the stats on a regular Spear Militia v.s Dismounted Knights of Jerusalem , the Jerusalem guys seem to move/run 30% slower than regular infantry .

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    If you want a clue , check the stats on a regular Spear Militia v.s Dismounted Knights of Jerusalem , the Jerusalem guys seem to move/run 30% slower than regular infantry .
    Well I looked at the EDU, and the Dismounted Knights of Jerusalem have a speed modifier of 0.7, meaning they move at 70% the speed of "default" infantry unit. Well played @Nemesis!
    The mounts have different speeds fixed in EDU through the move_speed_mod, but there is not that much range: it goes from 0.85 to 1 I believe. Maybe it should be review for more range, with slower armored horses?
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Well I looked at the EDU, and the Dismounted Knights of Jerusalem have a speed modifier of 0.7, meaning they move at 70% the speed of "default" infantry unit. Well played @Nemesis!
    The mounts have different speeds fixed in EDU through the move_speed_mod, but there is not that much range: it goes from 0.85 to 1 I believe. Maybe it should be review for more range, with slower armored horses?
    Regarding this issue Katapraktoi cavalry should have low speed( much armored) but also very high charge bonus and the attribute of scary nearby units (Seeing these "machines" charging against you in battle should be terrifying, apart from the fact that due to their weight and training they should have a high charge power but low speed)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    Regarding this issue Katapraktoi cavalry should have low speed( much armored) but also very high charge bonus and the attribute of scary nearby units (Seeing these "machines" charging against you in battle should be terrifying, apart from the fact that due to their weight and training they should have a high charge power but low speed)
    Very true, also they should have Excelent Stamina because those were actually War Horses trained for .....well....War xD

The animation of the armored horses of the Byzantine bodyguards (Katapraktoi) is however not satisfactory to my taste. I would like to replace them with a new model inspired by those of marka.
    And while we're at it - if anyone does it before me - to try to diversify the unit by mixing between very protected horses and lesser ones. I have always found it more realistic to mix the units to the maximum and therefore the horses too.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    The animation of the armored horses of the Byzantine bodyguards (Katapraktoi) is however not satisfactory to my taste. I would like to replace them with a new model inspired by those of marka.
    And while we're at it - if anyone does it before me - to try to diversify the unit by mixing between very protected horses and lesser ones. I have always found it more realistic to mix the units to the maximum and therefore the horses too.
    But for this, sship team have the Nikkosaiz units for byzantines no?
    In my opinion Kataphractoi should have the best quality for equipment and be pretty similar because the "state or country" provides all this equipment to tagmata units
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Nikossaiz units use the Kataphractoi vanilla horses. I would like to change that. Even if they have to be well equipped, vary the equipment will anyway be prettier I think. To think...

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Nikossaiz units use the Kataphractoi vanilla horses. I would like to change that. Even if they have to be well equipped, vary the equipment will anyway be prettier I think. To think...
    There is nothing to think on , that is the simple truth . Always loved how not only a unit had like 4 or 5 soldier variations with different equipment on them , but upgrading the armor and weapons also changed them as well.