Thread: 098 teaser: HANSA TEUTONICA by JoC

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Icon14 098 teaser: HANSA TEUTONICA by JoC

Guys,

This is another teaser for the SSHIP 098. The guilds will remain in their current shape but one - the Hanseatic Guild. This one will be transformed into a regular building chain called Hansa Teutonica. The reasons for this change are as follows:
    1. historically, the benefits of the Baltic - North Sea trade were very different for the cities whom the Hanseatic merchants traded with, and the cities the merchants would come from / settle in
    (the Hanseatic cities).
    2. the guild was very underdeveloped (only 1 building), while the additional benefits (for 097 they were made dependent on the historical events) could make for it in a very limited way.
    3. the guild mechanics prevented getting this guild if another guild (eg. Merchants, Explorers) was accepted before (as a result - no main German cities would host them but only the fringes).
    4. actually, it didn't work. The guild was possible to be received everywhere (recently, in one player's save I've seen it in Dublin).
    5. the pics were not most eye-pleasing.
    6. the new system provides for a more unique experience while playing factions in this part of the world. De facto, there're 4 new unique buildings (or wonders), plus 5 other buildings. The feeling for somebody playing Novgorod will be different than for somebody playing HRE.
    7. the player will be able to develop the provinces and then to upgrade them. Until now, they're were very marginal for the game from the point of view of productivity.

The building will be available in 29 provinces historically involved in the Hanseatic trade. The benefits consist of trade, growth and also a unique unit, the Hanseatic Crossbowmen (or Baltic Crossbowmen, previously Lettish Crossbowmen - hopefully, it will undergo a revamp in the future). Obviously, the buildings are new - 9 of them. There will be also one additional event, Die Kogge (Hanseatic Cog), and some other events will be somehow adjusted, eg. by being triggered by something else (eg. Confederation of Cologne will be triggered when the Holsteintor is built, while Ostsiedlung will be triggered by the achievements of either HRE, or Poland, or Hungary, or just by script as a fall-back option). Building the unique buildings (the Hanseatic Kontors) will probably be possible only after the built-up of Lubeck with the Holsteintor (it signifies it's position), although I may change this... I'm just having a second thoughts - perhaps Die Kogge event would be dependent on the number of Hanseatische Kaufmenner and Faktoreien? And the Kontors after Die Kogge? Anyway, this will be fun for the player to find it out, I hope.

The building tree is complicated. As a matter of fact, I've come up with the most intricate coding of the building that exists in the SSHP (even if it's not so complicated as in the EBII or Tsardoms). It is best to be described with a graph/pic:

Crossbowmen unit that is provided by the building:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Screenshots of the buildings in-game:

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 15, 2023 at 08:17 AM.

Default Re: 098 teaser: HANSA TEUTONICA in the next version

Beautiful work! Thanks Jurand. Really looking forward to playing .98, maybe as Teutonic Order!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

I love this Jurand! I love see unique features for the differents factions and more unique buildings and units!
    ++++ Rep!!!!

As little questions/suggestions i say:

-what about trade fleet available?? Dont think that have an Hansa quarter in your city should add, at least, one ship for trade?

-About recruitable units in Hansa quarters i like Baltic Crossbowmen( maybe call them Hanseatic Crossbowmen with more bourgeois appearance? ( Kostic models).

I would also add about the 14th century that you can recruit bourgeois pikemen by pretending that wealthy merchants would form a militia to defend those settlements (similar to what the Flemish pikemen did against the French knights)
    Together with the Baltic crossbowmen it would be nice to add an infantry unit as it was in the old version 0.9.7, like some swordmen sergeants or even a merchant militia cavalry (simulating the richest merchant that can own horses in advanced levels of the Hansa quarters) .

I think all of this along with what you have already done would add even more flavor to the game and I think it is historical to pretend that these Hansa quarter help these settlements in the form of military aid when required in the form of militiamen and rich merchants with light cavalry.

On the other hand it would be like the Venetians / Genoese / Pisans did in Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire with its neighborhoods or mercantile ghettos.

What is the opinion of sship team?
    Last edited by j.a.luna; April 17, 2021 at 01:58 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

@j.a.luna:L
    - trade fleets - read this thread: only ports can give trade fleets, and this is capped at 3;
    - I agree and even asked @kostic to provide more Hanseatic appearance. Also another foot unit, maybe according to this book?

I don't think Hanseatic buildings should provide any cavalry units.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    @j.a.luna:L
    - trade fleets - read this thread: only ports can give trade fleets, and this is capped at 3;
    - I agree and even asked @kostic to provide more Hanseatic appearance. Also another foot unit, maybe according to this book?

I don't think Hanseatic buildings should provide any cavalry units.
    Amm ook about ports... It is a pity that is capped at 3.

About another foot units, yes, according to this historical book, an hanseatic/northern appearance. With this, we would obtain 2 unique hanseatic units for support in these settlements ( crossbows and swordmen/spearmens), also in middle s.XIII-XIV could be added pikemen/halberdier militia or something similar for new era.

Another examples:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	655144767278f5cb0f52e4d1632b4ed2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	364654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a6c8e24ff3207437e84d9fcf10f3821a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	364655
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Indeed it is an excellent idea, as well as having at least 2 specific units for the Hanseatic League. Hopefully we can make it all work without CTDs !

Great work Jurand and the rest of the team. Can't wait for 098

The Hanseatic League mechanism will serve also other goals if this is historically justified.
    For instance, it's a condition for the evolution of the Danish military:
    ; 1st stage
    recruit_pool "Norse Axemen" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and not event_counter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE 1
    recruit_pool "Norse Axemen" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and event_counter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE 1 and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1

recruit_pool "Gotland Footmen" 0.9 0.04 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and not event_counter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE 1
    recruit_pool "Gotland Footmen" 0.9 0.03 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and event_counter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE 1 and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1

; 2nd stage - after contacts with HRE the Mailed Knights were introduced

recruit_pool "Mailed Knights" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE 1 and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Mailed Knights" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1

recruit_pool "Dismounted Mailed Knights" 0.9 0.04 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE 1 and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Mailed Knights" 0.9 0.03 2 0 requires factions { denmark, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 21, 2021 at 08:26 AM.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [Release]KCC (Kostic Chronology Costumes)

Here are some images of the Baltic crossbowmen Jurand of Cracow will use as Hanseatic crossbowmen:
    As you can see, I am offering a unit card as well as the picture for the information.

Hanseatic crossbowmen

Hanseatic crossbowmen_ug1

Fights melee

The icons for 098 are being occassionally updated. Here is a new version for Hansa:

The Hanseatic mechanism is being interconnected with the other mechanism, eg. the integration of provinces:

Code:
    		log --- (.E.)   Lubeck Integration Process ------------------------------------------------------		
    		if	I_EventCounter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm < 560

if I_EventCounter FL_weak_on_the_throne < 1				; natural integration process but not with a Usurper (thus not during a civil war either)
    				inc_event_counter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm 1
    			end_if

if I_EventCounter FL_is_crowned_ruler > 0				; if the owner's faction FL has the crown
    				inc_event_counter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm 1			; integration is faster
    			end_if

if I_EventCounter FL_policy_thinks_of_his_people > 0	; if FL pursues a conducive policy
    				inc_event_counter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm 1			; integration is faster
    			end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_hre > 0
    			and I_EventCounter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm < 500
    				if I_EventCounter HANSEATIC_LEAGUE > 0			
    				and I_EventCounter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm < 200
    					set_event_counter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm 200
    				end_if			
    				if I_EventCounter HANSEATIC_LUBECK > 0			
    					set_event_counter Lubeck_turns_in_our_realm 500
    				end_if	
    			end_if

end_if

A few pic how the Hanseatic buildings look like in-game:

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 14, 2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

For those interested in history - here is a good analytical chapter on Hansa (open access, unlike the rest of the book).