Thread: 098 teaser: HANSA TEUTONICA by JoC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Icon14 098 teaser: HANSA TEUTONICA by JoC

Guys,

This is another teaser for the SSHIP 098. The guilds will remain in their current shape but one - the Hanseatic Guild. This one will be transformed into a regular building chain called Hansa Teutonica. The reasons for this change are as follows:
    1. historically, the benefits of the Baltic - North Sea trade were very different for the cities whom the Hanseatic merchants traded with, and the cities the merchants would come from / settle in
    (the Hanseatic cities).
    2. the guild was very underdeveloped (only 1 building), while the additional benefits (for 097 they were made dependent on the historical events) could make for it in a very limited way.
    3. the guild mechanics prevented getting this guild if another guild (eg. Merchants, Explorers) was accepted before (as a result - no main German cities would host them but only the fringes).
    4. actually, it didn't work. The guild was possible to be received everywhere (recently, in one player's save I've seen it in Dublin).
    5. the pics were not most eye-pleasing.
    6. the new system provides for a more unique experience while playing factions in this part of the world. De facto, there're 4 new unique buildings (or wonders), plus 5 other buildings. The feeling for somebody playing Novgorod will be different than for somebody playing HRE.
    7. the player will be able to develop the provinces and then to upgrade them. Until now, they're were very marginal for the game from the point of view of productivity.

The building will be available in 29 provinces historically involved in the Hanseatic trade. The benefits consist of trade, growth and also a unique unit, the Hanseatic Crossbowmen (or Baltic Crossbowmen, previously Lettish Crossbowmen - hopefully, it will undergo a revamp in the future). Obviously, the buildings are new - 9 of them. There will be also one additional event, Die Kogge (Hanseatic Cog), and some other events will be somehow adjusted, eg. by being triggered by something else (eg. Confederation of Cologne will be triggered when the Holsteintor is built, while Ostsiedlung will be triggered by the achievements of either HRE, or Poland, or Hungary, or just by script as a fall-back option). Building the unique buildings (the Hanseatic Kontors) will probably be possible only after the built-up of Lubeck with the Holsteintor (it signifies it's position), although I may change this... I'm just having a second thoughts - perhaps Die Kogge event would be dependent on the number of Hanseatische Kaufmenner and Faktoreien? And the Kontors after Die Kogge? Anyway, this will be fun for the player to find it out, I hope.

The building tree is complicated. As a matter of fact, I've come up with the most intricate coding of the building that exists in the SSHP (even if it's not so complicated as in the EBII or Tsardoms). It is best to be described with a graph/pic:

Crossbowmen unit that is provided by the building:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Screenshots of the buildings in-game:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 15, 2023 at 08:17 AM.