Thread: Seleucid satrapy ancillaries

Default Seleucid satrapy ancillaries

first of all its so great these are finally in the game and working, thank you for your hard work.

One problem though: it seems that it is not possible to pass these around from one character to the other? lets say one is extremely unloyal, a poor administrator, starts minting coins after himself, yet I cannot deprive him of his Satrap title to give it to a more worthy and loyal character.

Is it a bug or it is by design? I remember in EBI you could pass these around if the guy that gets the Satrap title is terrible at managing his satrapy.

Default Re: Seleucid satrapy ancillaries

Historically a seleucid ruler couldn't remove a satrap from his position without some effort. In this case the governor who is minting coins would do things like resist or even defect to a neighbouring nation if push came to shove, along with his city and armies that he is paying. At most the seleucid ruler could threaten the governor and maybe he could take the hint and step down.

Allowing the player to just move this ancillary around would be like having the ruler removing people from key positions of government without consequences.

it is a bit counter intuitive because the player can always shove them on a boat or send them to suicide on pirates, then park the prefered character in the satrapy and he'll eventually become a satrap

I know that if you move the king to the satrapy, the satrap loses the "mint coins after himself" trait, but he's still extremely unproductive and disloyal

I wonder if there is a way to be able to switch satraps but also not make it easy enough to simulate historical accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucid Fanatic View Post
    it is a bit counter intuitive because the player can always shove them on a boat or send them to suicide on pirates
    Not specifically about the Seleucids overall, but if you want to exploit the game and it's design in such a way that the AI never could, there's nothing stopping you. In my mind this is no different than adding to yourself money via the console. So sending rebellious generals to die in fleets is a pure cheat, no matter how you rationalize it yourself.

I haven't played a LONG time with AS, but the main challenge with such a huge empire was (historically) always within, unless they got hit by a juggernaut rival Empire (like the Selecuids did when they faced Rome; before they lost a lot and won a lot vs the other diadochi, new states etc... but their biggest issues came with internal rebellions).

So if the mechanic us made like this i think it's great. It makes you pay extra attention whom you want to become a satrap, and shows well that you cannot control people miles and miles away if it takes a few weeks for you to even get in contact with him, and months to raise and march an army with enormous cost to enforce that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Not specifically about the Seleucids overall, but if you want to exploit the game and it's design in such a way that the AI never could, there's nothing stopping you. In my mind this is no different than adding to yourself money via the console. So sending rebellious generals to die in fleets is a pure cheat, no matter how you rationalize it yourself.

I haven't played a LONG time with AS, but the main challenge with such a huge empire was (historically) always within, unless they got hit by a juggernaut rival Empire (like the Selecuids did when they faced Rome; before they lost a lot and won a lot vs the other diadochi, new states etc... but their biggest issues came with internal rebellions).

So if the mechanic us made like this i think it's great. It makes you pay extra attention whom you want to become a satrap, and shows well that you cannot control people miles and miles away if it takes a few weeks for you to even get in contact with him, and months to raise and march an army with enormous cost to enforce that.
    I understand that, I only noticed this because the guy that pops in Babylonia became a satrap 10 turns in and somehow turned awful despite the academy and all that, then turned utterly disloyal and the whole city hates him, feels weird not being able to change the satrap in my own heartland while the king is literally in the city opposite it every winter for the festival