Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Infant Male Circumcision is Genital Mutilation without Consent

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Infant Male Circumcision is Genital Mutilation without Consent

Did the study involve the same testers having double blind(folded) intercourse with large numbers of men from both the test and control group in a controlled environment without being told which was which, after which the hypothesis was tested by sound inference statistics against the primary and secondary errors? Or did they just run around asking random women what they preferred? The latter is not a study, it's just a survey that might help establish a hypothesis to be tested by actual experiments but no reliable results.

Not that such an experimental setup would likely pass the responsible ethics OR STD-concerned medical council.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Indefinitely Banned

God I hope so on the former. Love a properly procedured experiment.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yes, probably. But rhetoric about circumcision has been used as a dogwhistle for Antisemitism. So we should probably do away with the greater evil, before tackling this lesser one.

I'm all against stopping the fash on the internet, but I think stopping the mutilation of babies should be a priority here.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Indefinitely Banned

With that argument considering the type of mutilation aren’t there bigger priorities and isn’t anti semitism probably one of them? The internet is not its primarily stewing place.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I volunteer to take part in Iskars double blind test.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I volunteer to take part in Iskars double blind test.
    Akar makes a good point; there should be blindfolded male and female testers.

I went to high school with some chicks who, in the name of science, would certainly like to help.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Men should have the right to choose circumcision, not have the choice forced upon them. Infant circumcision without consent or immediate medical justification is an unjustified violation of basic human rights, that shares more in common with ancient coming-of-age rituals than responsible medical practice.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...dern%20society.

I understand the arguments for circumcision. Less chances of penile cancer and infections specifically of the urinary tract. Less need for daily penis related hygiene practices. Last longer in the boudoir. Prettier.

Pretending it is anything but genital mutilation without consent seems a coping rationalization. It is a barbaric practice from the times before Christianity brought enlightenment to humankind.

Why would western countries allow it to continue? Is a religious minority so powerful they run the western world I wonder? Maybe the whole world.

for toni
    Having circumcision done as an infant is far less painful and dramatic than as an adult. Having it done as an infant really doesn't leave traumatic painful memories for the infant, I have never seen evidence supporting that.

Male circumcision might have sone medical benefits, it is debatable, but it is not comparable to female circumcision, which has no medical benefits and does have negative consequences.

FMG is often falsely equated with male circumcision. They are worlds apart. The FGM equivalent procedure on males would be basically cutting off the penis entirely.
    The Armenian Issue

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It is obviously not as severe, anyone who claims it's the same thing is completely ignorant. I think it's a widely spread cultural and religious practice so it's not my place to say that it's wrong, especially since, unlike FGM, it doesn't really harm the child. That said, I suppose that technically it's mutilation without consent, but you could equally view (from an atheist perspective) religious upbringing as forced conversion but honestly who would dare take away the right of parents to raise their kids in accordance with their beliefs?
    Last edited by Hobbes; May 13, 2021 at 09:51 AM.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    I'm all against stopping the fash on the internet, but I think stopping the mutilation of babies should be a priority here.
    Well I guess we just have different priorities, then. I think stopping fascists comes first, regardless of platform. They're a direct threat to all life, whereas circumcision is an unpleasant thing but rarely life-or-death.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Tackling one doesn't exclude tackling the other. Especially since there is incredibly little chance anyone here will put genuine work into tackling either, kudos if you are said magical unicorn.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quite frankly who here has given and signed consent to being conceived and born. Everyone here's who they are because of their parents. Even if taken away from their parents on day one and adopted by someone else, the current data on the nature vs nurture debate suggests that you'd be quite a lot like your parents when grown up, and not like your adoptive parents. So everyone saying "Reee there was no consent!1!!" should take a step back and think imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Where I lived in the Southside of Glasgow there was a good sized Jewish community, some being my schoolmates or neighbours. Never once was the subject brought up by any of the Jewish boys I knew nor was there any knowledge that any were troubled by their circumcision. They were just as normal as we considered ourselves to be.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Where I lived in the Southside of Glasgow there was a good sized Jewish community, some being my schoolmates or neighbours. Never once was the subject brought up by any of the Jewish boys I knew nor was there any knowledge that any were troubled by their circumcision. They were just as normal as we considered ourselves to be.
    But because they haven’t accepted Jesus as Christ they will not see Heaven. Very sad. This was a good post. Plus rep. No one path is the right path.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

But because they haven’t accepted Jesus as Christ they will not see Heaven. Very sad. This was a good post. Plus rep. No one path is the right path.
    enoch,

No man can enter heaven unless born again of the Spirit of God so that being the case there is only one way to get there. That way is when God the Father draws a person to Jesus, genuine repentence begged for with the broken and contrite heart, thus inducing regeneration. That is the only path available to fallen man. As Jesus said the path to heaven is so narrow that few get in.

enoch,

No man can enter heaven unless born again of the Spirit of God so that being the case there is only one way to get there. That way is when God the Father draws a person to Jesus, genuine repentence begged for with the broken and contrite heart, thus inducing regeneration. That is the only path available to fallen man. As Jesus said the path to heaven is so narrow that few get in.
    Awesome. it's so wonderful that all those neighbours of yours will be tortured by Jesus for all eternity. So, for example, a billion billions of years will only form a tiny fracture of their torture. That is so metal.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Indefinitely Banned

enoch,

Plus the Bible also states it’s mostly only Jews who are saved in the final reckoning. Narrows the path even more.

Come on, Enoch. We all know Basics likes to talk about his religion. But when he makes a post in good faith (no pun intended) about a social issue without bringing up his religious views, we should not turn it into a question of his or anyone else's faith.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast