Thread: Wireless electricity

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Wireless electricity

I'm sure everybody knows Tesla, if anything because of Musk's cars

However, the greatest of all dreams of that dreamer that Tesla was, was indeed wireless electricity... it seems like that important steps have been taken towards that dream.

First, the concept of wireless is "tricky", since it implies the use of "no wires", which is actually something existing since long (my electric toothbrush has it, and it's at the least 5 years old) and as of today many portable devices can be charged wireless by direct contact or staying close to the charging pads

This video gives an overview of the actual systems and of what is the actual state of the art for wireless charging.

Tesla, of course, was referring to moving large amounts of electricity far away from the source, for every kind of usage (included heavy industry); while this is theoretically possible (I've seen some documentaries about transmitting electricity via the ground, for instance, and it works), the problem is that there's a large waste of energy compared to transmitting it via a confined mean (like a copper cable). As of today, the idea is to use the 5G network for transmitting amounts of energy enough for charging small portable devices, at the least. You can read more here.

However, it's not just a matter of efficiency, but of safety too. The video below is 4 years old, and not much has changed since then. Disney is involved in the project, and we all know how rich and powerful they are. The video is titled "Disney Invented A Room Where Your Phone Will Never Die", and as one of the comments brilliantly says "Your phone won't die, but you will" .

However, significant steps have been made in the recent times, and some realistic technologies are being tested, for instance in New Zealand. However, it might be early still, but I suggest them to find another name for what they named "rectennas"
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Wireless electricity

The problem with wireless "electricity" is that like all Em fields it travels in all directions and you can't really tell it to only go to Flinn's house because only Flinn payed the bill, or to not permeate Flinn's walls and let Flinn' neighbor hijack Flinn's bill. We will not be getting any form of wireless current until it can be effectively commercialized, and that is quite a few decades in the future.

Also, like all EM fields, it negatively impacts your overall health.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

If you look at 2:20 on the first video, it shows a procedure for directing the electricity towards specific targets (though of course it's just theoretical, at this stage); I agree anyways, the health risks are the main cons ATM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

If it's an EM field the transmitter at 2:20 will still broadcasts into a 360 degree angle. All it does is make the transfer to your phone more efficient by targeting it specifically(?). No idea how it does that but if it's like wi-fi then your phone will be granted some kind of increased priority until it is charged, meaning that you get to hog it all or as much as you need while your thief neighbor gets what's left. After that it reverts to first come first served. Thing is your non-paying neighbor will still be able to access it, just like he can access your wi-fi.

If it's not a field, and it's just a tower basically commanding your phone to charge through the evangelical power of Samsung, then this technology might be really revolutionary because you've basically invented infinite batteries.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; April 15, 2021 at 02:01 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Emrod's claim is that they can beam electromagnetic waves which eliminates any leakage outside the beam. Given all we know its hard to wrap one's head around. Its limited to its field of vision. I wonder if they could do anything with quantum coupling.
    The Armenian Issue

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

wonder if they could do anything with quantum coupling.
    No, they can't.

Quantum coupling cannot be used to relay information or signals faster than we can do so conventionally.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    The problem with wireless "electricity" is that like all Em fields it travels in all directions and you can't really tell it to only go to Flinn's house because only Flinn payed the bill, or to not permeate Flinn's walls and let Flinn' neighbor hijack Flinn's bill. We will not be getting any form of wireless current until it can be effectively commercialized, and that is quite a few decades in the future.

Also, like all EM fields, it negatively impacts your overall health.
    It's not really that. I'm not sure anybody really realizes how much voltage goes through the power lines and at what small current to boot. Nevermind, when it's then run through a transformer for use in a house that's somewhat reversed. If you then run that kind of field through a house at that high a current...people gonna die.

Now, "current" is the wrong word for what we're thinking of here. Just remember, the first time we used radar in world war II, literally in the Battle of Britain, when they had to maintain the dishes, but they didn't realize how dangerous the microwaves were especially at that amp level, people were walking away from there outright burned after doing maintenance.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 29, 2021 at 08:02 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Yeah, this sounds spectacular, but I doubt it has much of a future. The physical basis for this technology is directed high energy EM radiation and that involves safety problems, as mentioned above, as well as problems with efficiency. I suppose it can have some uses in low energy devices, especially in the vacuum of space. It might be interesting for future satellite technology.

But i must say, that, generally speaking, my respect for Musk and his endeavors has grown massively over the past few years. He does have some truly visionary qualities. At first he seemed to be a bit of a wacko, because of his statements on Sars-Cov2 mainly, but some of his projects are really gaining shape. There is definitely potential application for reusable transatmospheric transport systems. I'm not exactly bullish on this specific stuff, though.
    Last edited by swabian; May 05, 2021 at 10:15 PM.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

No idea why you'd give Musk the credit for the things his engineers are designing. That would be like pretending Bill Gates was actually actively coding Windows on a day to day basis.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Yes, of course. But his engineers work on clearly defined goals he is setting and he's not completely oblivious of the technical details, like for example Steve Jobs was. I'm not at all a Musk fanboi, if that is what you mean. All I said was that I'm more or less surprised SpaceX amounts to something after all. Musk is definitaly a very interesting character, albeit controversial.