Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death of Daunte Wright and Subsequent Riots

Indefinitely Banned

Default Death of Daunte Wright and Subsequent Riots

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...g-mistake.html

To sum up, on April 11, 2021, Daunte Demetrius Wright, a 20-year-old African-American man, was fatally shot by police officer Kim Potter during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. After being shot, Wright attempted to flee but crashed his vehicle into another and hit a cement barrier. Riots have since ensued.

In an opinion, the affair is more the result of the femaleness than a symptom of racism, although the second possibility cannot be excluded, until more information becomes available or common sense prevails.

Less than 10 miles from where George Floyd died. Pulled over for an air freshener. The officer who shot Wright was a 26 year veteran and Police Union President. She has since been arrested for 2nd degree manslaughter. It is thought she could not cope with her actions resigning soon after the murder.

Default Re: Death of Daunte Wright and Subsequent Riots

This can probably be merged with the George Floyd thread. The Wright killing is an open and shut case of second-degree (involuntary) manslaughter, which I assume Potter will plead guilty to. The maximum sentence for that crime is ten years, although there doesn't seem to be any point in incarcerating someone who requires no rehabilitation and doesn't pose any threat to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Pulled over for an air freshener.
    He was pulled over for expired registration:
    ""He was pulled over for having an expired registration on the vehicle," Gannon said Monday. "When the officer went over, an item hanging from the rearview mirror was spotted."

After police pulled him over, they discovered an outstanding misdemeanor warrant and tried to apprehend Wright. Body-camera video appeared to show Wright getting out of his car and then getting back in before shots rang out."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...taser-n1263984

Even the linked article in the OP notes this.
    "Wright was fatally shot by Brooklyn Center Police Officer Kimberly Potter on Sunday after he was pulled over for what police said were expired license plate tags.
    Police said a struggle broke out when they tried to arrest Wright after running his name and realizing he had an outstanding warrant."

edit:
    609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
    A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:
    (1) by the person’s culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205
    Last edited by Infidel144; April 15, 2021 at 07:07 AM.

There is some confusion about the nature of the warrant. So far as I can tell, Wright broke the bail conditions of a first-degree aggravated robbery charge by carrying a firearm. He then skipped a court date concerning this breach, for which another warrant for his arrest was issued. It was this warrant that the police were trying to execute.

Whether the officers knew about the robbery charge is unknown, but it isn't any sort of defense against the involuntary manslaughter charge anyway.
    Last edited by Cope; April 15, 2021 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
    A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:
    (1) by the person’s culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205
    I forgot about the part which requires "consciously takes chances of causing death". The officer might have a defense after all.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I forgot about the part which requires "consciously takes chances of causing death". The officer might have a defense after all.
    People can die from being tased, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

People can die from being tased, so...
    I don't know of a PD which typically considers tasing a form of deadly force.

Citizen

You're still consciously taking the chance of causing death when tasering someone tho

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

You're still consciously taking the chance of causing death when tasering someone tho
    Not relevant in this case. Police officers are held to different standards than civilians. These standards are largely based on departmental policy and the Graham vs Connor test regarding "objective reasonableness". If officers are trained to use tasers as a form of non-lethal force (which as a general rule they are), no court is going to find that they created an "unreasonable risk" of death when using them.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

This can probably be merged with the George Floyd thread. The Wright killing is an open and shut case of second-degree (involuntary) manslaughter, which I assume Potter will plead guilty to. The maximum sentence for that crime is ten years, although there doesn't seem to be any point in incarcerating someone who requires no rehabilitation and doesn't pose any threat to the public.
    You realize I hope that Wright was a member of the public. He may have had an outstanding arrest warrant but that doesn't mean the officer didn't kill an unarmed human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Shooting people is not risk created by negligence. We're not talking about flammables left next to the camp fire here. We're talking about SHOOTING the guy for a misdemeanor.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 15, 2021 at 08:14 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    You realize I hope that Wright was a member of the public. He may have had an outstanding arrest warrant but that doesn't mean the officer didn't kill an unarmed human being.
    Not sure how this comment relates to my statement. An officer accidentally discharging their firearm does not provide a basis for assuming that they pose a threat to the public in a civilian capacity (and therefore should be incarcerated).

Shooting people is not risk created by negligence. We're not talking about flammables left next to the camp fire here. We're talking about SHOOTING the guy for a misdemeanor.
    Accidentally shooting someone would be an example of negligence.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

I'm willing to accept that the officer indeed was intending to use her taser and used her gun by mistake. Meaning she did not intend to kill him. She still did, so some punishment should be in order for her failure to do her job properly, but aside from that accidents happen, tragic ones like this one included.

Now, if during the trial it's proven that this officer was actually that guy's racist sworn enemy. If the threatening messages she was for years sending him are found. If it was shown that she plotted this botched arrest, so she could feign going for her taser but on purpose use her gun in order to kill him, but fool everyone and get away with it... well, ok. Nice premise for a book I guess.
    Last edited by Alastor; April 15, 2021 at 08:29 AM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

This reminds me more of the shooting of Jacob Blake than the murder of George Floyd tbh: suspect with outstanding warrant resists arrest, apparently tries to flee in car and gets shot at close range. Apparently the officer in the blake case was let off on the thinnest of excuses). It's unfortunate for the officer that her shouting "taser" highlights her mistake to a point that no similar ridiculous excuse van be fabricated. The obvious conclusion is that the American police are either unfit to withstand the pressure of the job or trigger happy and the rules allow them to get away with. Either way, for now the country by and large seems to tolerate it.
    Last edited by Muizer; April 15, 2021 at 09:29 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    This reminds me more of the shooting of Jacob Blake than the murder of George Floyd tbh: suspect with outstanding warrant resists arrest, apparently tries to flee in car and gets shot at close range. Apparently the officer in the blake case was let off on the thinnest of excuses). It's unfortunate for the officer that her shouting "taser" highlights her mistake to a point that no similar ridiculous excuse van be fabricated.
    This is nothing like the Blake case. Blake was armed, wanted for rape, had evaded taser strikes, was actively resisting arrest and was attempting to flee with children in the vehicle.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

This is nothing like the Blake case. Blake was armed, wanted for rape, had evaded taser strikes, was actively resisting arrest and was attempting to flee with children in the vehicle.
    Lol I'm not going to start that discussion with you again. If what happened there was justified by the rules, then that only goes to show those rules are the product of moral bankruptcy.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Citizen

Lol I'm not going to start that discussion with you again. If what happened there was justified by the rules, then that only goes to show those rules are the product of moral bankruptcy.
    How so? Should restraining orders by victims of domestic abuse no longer be enforced and women be left to their own?

Lol I'm not going to start that discussion with you again.
    I'm not interested in discussing that case again. I was pointing out that the Blake case and the Wright case are disanalogous.

If what happened there was justified by the rules, then that only goes to show those rules are the product of moral bankruptcy.
    Even though no "morally bankrupt" policy or procedure relevant to the Blake case was ever actually noted, much less explained.

Indefinitely Banned

This can probably be merged with the George Floyd thread.
    Let’s lump all the black men murdered by cops in the same thread. It’s not personal, just systemic. Makes it easier to come up with rationalizations to cope with the horrors if we don’t think of blacks as individuals.

Citizen

If you believe in freedom, you have to be willing to pay the price that comes with it.

I believe that the tree of the second amendment right has to be refreshed constantly with the blood of patriots and minor traffic law violators alike.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Not sure how this comment relates to my statement. An officer accidentally discharging their firearm does not provide a basis for assuming that they pose a threat to the public in a civilian capacity (and therefore should be incarcerated).

Accidentally shooting someone would be an example of negligence.
    Yes, accidentally shooting someone would be negligence. Shooting someone on purpose, because you think they will reach for a gun, is not negligence. Perhaps she indeed reached for her taser. That doesn't change the fact that she shot him with her gun and I don't believe this is in the same category as "I forgot the gasoline container next to the camp fire and poor John is now ashes along with 20 acres of forest."
    Last edited by alhoon; April 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast