Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claiming Macedonian Kingship

Default Claiming Macedonian Kingship

Hi there,

I'm playing Antigonidai and managed to fulfill all of the requirements for Macedonian Kingship including getting the event pop-up. I can now build Basilike Patris governments in certain key cities (Korinth, Demetrias, etc.) However, although it appears in the building browser, I cannot build this government in Pella. I think because I don't have a the military settlers building chain built up... however, only the 'foreign military settlers' chain is available.

It seems somewhere along the line the kingship 'quest' bugged and I'm hoping someone can help me straighten it out. How exactly are you supposed to get through this script? Are there any common pitfalls?

i.e. If you kill defeat/kill Pyrrhos in autoresolve, does it still count? When you capture Pella initially, what type of government are you supposed to build? Things like that.

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Claiming Macedonian Kingship

It should have been automatically built in Pella when you fulfilled the conditions of the reform.

Check you don't have two government buildings there.

If you can build BP in some settlements but not Pella, the likely issue is that Pella lacks some prerequisite. Since it requires level 2 hellenistic colony and you don't have it...well, there's your problem. Build those colonies.

Well I can confirm I do not have two government buildings in Pella, only an Eleutheria kai Autonomia. Sar1n is right, I am lacking the pre-requisite of an Isoteleia Katoikon, but as you can see in this screenshot https://i.imgur.com/KkmrOzp.jpg I don't have the option to build that, only the foreign garrison building.

NOTE: That screenshot was taken from a save before the Kingship event. Here is another screenshot a little later (using process_cq to get me the remaining buildings I needed to trigger the event) https://i.imgur.com/yL90KfD.jpg where as you can see no Basileia Patris was added to Pella.

I do think my issue is that for some reason it's bugging and not giving me the Basileia Patris building I need, while at the same time since the military settler chain isn't available in Pella I can't build the pre-requisite needed to build the Basileia Patris myself.

You need settlers to build a colony. Do you have a Metropoleis, or three regular-sized polis buildings?

So is it my responsibility to make sure an Isoteleia Katoikon is built in Pella before the kingship event?

Right now Pella only has a Hellenistic Polis building, it hasn't been upgraded to Metropolis yet... assuming that's what you're asking? I own Pella, Demetrias, Athenai, Korinthos, and Sparte so I have plenty of Hellenistic Polis around, if that's what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    So is it my responsibility to make sure an Isoteleia Katoikon is built in Pella before the kingship event?

Right now Pella only has a Hellenistic Polis building, it hasn't been upgraded to Metropolis yet... assuming that's what you're asking? I own Pella, Demetrias, Athenai, Korinthos, and Sparte so I have plenty of Hellenistic Polis around, if that's what you're asking.
    No, it's supposed to just build it automatically as a reward.

I'm saying to get colonists, which is required in order to build a Hellenistic Colony, you need either a Metropoleis or three Poleis' (not the small ones). Athenai is a Metropoleis, so you should be getting colony points to spend on Hellenistic Colonies.

Okay, so point taken about the colonists. I started a new Macedonian campaign just because I wanted to be sure I did everything 'right'. So I beat Pyrrhus, got all the required buildings (AND the military settler chain) and this is the result:
    https://i.imgur.com/4Z37v8N.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/BAwl0PV.jpg

As you can see, I'm showing you everything in Pella on those two screenshots (as far as I can tell, no duplicate government building or anything else weird). And my government didn't get upgraded to Basilike Patris. I'm wondering if this is just a bug with the script because as far as I can tell I've done everything exactly correctly. Note that because I have the Isoteleia Katoikon I can build the Basilike Patris myself, it's just the script isn't automatically doing it for me.

Another weird thing I encountered is I got an event about the Epirotes revolting in Epadamnos, and a full-stack spawned by Dyrrhachium... but for some reason the script gave them a random city in Italy. Possibly another bug?
    https://i.imgur.com/9Q69Qei.jpg

Hopefully this feedback is more helpful than annoying, but it's possible I'm still missing something or have screwed something up.

Are you playing 2.35A, the newest version? As in does it say that at the bottom right of the main menu?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 16, 2021 at 07:50 AM.

Laetus

The Makedonian Kingship Event just happened in my Campaign with them and Pella got the Basilike Patris as it should be (very early turnwise as i was straightforward working towards this event; the Thureophoroi Reforms haven't even happened yet).

But:
    Since there were now 2 governmental buildings in Pella (the new one and the old Eleutheria kai Autonomia) i thought i could destroy the lesser one without any problems. Turns out that the Basilike Patris only provides recruitment options for now, I think because it technically only becomes available when the Makedonian Imperial Reform Event fires (for which the player needs to own Pella, Ipsos & Antiocheia). So when you destroy the Eleutheria kai Autonomia, the only building options provided afterwards are the Doriktete Ge and the Tributary State (and some other buildings that don't require governmental precursors).

I think there should be a written warning concerning this matter at the end of the announcment that pops up to notify the player of the Kingship Event (i mean HE_MAKEDONIAN_KINGSHIP_ATTAINED_BODY in data\text\historic events).

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Are you playing 2.35A, the newest version? As in does it say that at the bottom right of the main menu?
    Just chiming in to say I'm playing with 2.35a and there seems to be nothing wrong on my end in my current Macedonian campaign, where I've been able to build the core factional government building "Basilike Patris" in Korinthos, Demetrias, and Pella. Sounds like this guy's game is bugged out or something, either that or he's playing an incredibly old version of the mod. I simply followed the EBII PDF player's guide on building trees and everything seems fine. My only delay was not having the prerequisite farms built which I remedied as quickly as possible and voila, I was able to build the highest tier government. I'm currently playing over turn #400 in the 160s BC and have been able to recruit the Makedones Peltastai, Hypaspistai, and Agema Phalangitai from Greece for the past five decades (plus the Thorakitai Epilektoi which I added to the Macedonian faction for my own game, since I don't like the fact you removed that unit for Macedon).

Well crap, I thought I was playing 2.35A but now that I actually look at the lower left corner it just says 2.35... That's probably it.

I guess I need to do a fresh install!

I suspected that might be the case. Glad we got to the bottom of that.

As to the double governments, I have no idea why the script-built Basilike Patris isn't overwriting whatever is already in place. That's what it should be doing. I wonder if it's because it's already governed by script? Might have to rethink that "reward".

So I freshly reinstalled EB2 and got the latest version and tried Macedon again tonight. Can confirm that once the Kingship event fires, the Basilike Patris building does spawn, but does not overwrite the existing government building. So now I have two.

Laetus

I just cheated my way further into the Makedonian reforms (money, process_cq and reloading basically) and tried out some things, here's how the game behaved:

- After the Kingship event but before the second stage the spawned Basilike Patris provided recruitment options but didn't act as government building as mentioned in my post above.
    - After the second event (owning Pella, Ipsos & Antiocheia/Antigoneia) I could destroy the spawned Basilike Patris and build 1 BP on my own terms (I did this in Pella and I did NOT process_cq this for there is some part of the BP-related scripting that refers to the 8 turns it takes to build and I wanted to be sure to not mess anything up) whiched worked just as it should. (The campaign script always allows 1 BP to be built for Makedonia, if I'm reading the script correctly. At the start of the campaign this is just inhibited by the counter for ecMakedonianReform which prevents both the building of a BP and the upgrading of the Eleutheria kai Autonomia.)
    - The last stage (conquering Babylon) builds another BP in said city and this one works perfectly fine.

I have no idea how the game's engine works in detail regarding such things, but I'm going to try something:
    Starting a new Makedonian campaign and then, just before the Kingship event happens, I will destroy the Eleutheria kai Autonomia and look at how the game behaves when the spawned BP is the only government there. Maybe this will do something different?

There is definitely something funny going on with script-built buildings in Pella specifically.

Laetus

Soooo, that was quick. New Makedonian campaign: took Pella, quick-built (process_cq and add_money) Eleutheria kai Autonomia (to be able to build the following), then Doreai, Port Garrison & Road Garrison. Then I destroyed the Eleutheria kai Autonomia again, left Pella idle and went on to seek out Pyrrhos.

After killing him in battle a few turns later and hitting end turn, I got a Basilike Patris in Pella and - Praise the Gods! - it worked completely fine.

Maybe it would work if the script for the Kingship-Event would destroy any existing government buildings in Pella first before establishing the Basilike Patris? Something like it does if one captures an enemy settlement?

Hope this helps in any way.

I really do enjoy all your team's work with this mod, the new marriage-related traits for example but also the new loading-screen pictures just to name two smaller things (though I suspect the traits are not so simple as they look like...)!
    Thank you all for Europa Barbarorum II!

As it happens, I made a save just before the kingship event fired so I had a chance to test it a little more.

If I destroy the existing government building then the Basilike Patris still spawns
    If I don't destroy the existing gov building, then the Basilike Patris 'double dips' bonuses with the other government building (i.e. the public order bonuses and possibly recruitment seem to stack).

Happy to test any other combinations if someone wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    As it happens, I made a save just before the kingship event fired so I had a chance to test it a little more.

If I destroy the existing government building then the Basilike Patris still spawns
    If I don't destroy the existing gov building, then the Basilike Patris 'double dips' bonuses with the other government building (i.e. the public order bonuses and possibly recruitment seem to stack).

Happy to test any other combinations if someone wants.
    Unfortunately, I can't script the destruction of the existing government in Pella before spawning the Basilike Patris. In their infinite wisdom, CA coded the destroy_building command to only work on a whole-faction basis. As in I could destroy every instance of an Epistateia you have, but not just the one in Pella.

Perhaps in that case it would make sense to rework the Macedonian Kingship event?

If you remove the 'free' Basilike Patris then the player will have to wait approximately 50-60 turns before they can build the requirements for Kingship -> Build Settler Colonies - > Construct Basilike Patris from scratch. Which IMO is too long to wait when everyone else basically gets to start the game with their Basilike Patris equivalent.

Perhaps you could make Pella start with an Isoteleia Katoikon, or a Port or something? This would shave off some of the time required to get the Basilike Patris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast