Started up a campaign as Baktria, which I've always rather enjoyed. You can acquire up to 4 colonists from the Seleukids from missions, making them a very valuable resource. However, I'm getting a bit frustrated with some of the opaque mechanics.

I remember in older versions you could bootstrap your way into a proper settler economy by building Katoikia Poleon and pushing culture so that you can upgrade the Polis into a Metropolis. That said, I'm very confused about how this works in 2.35a. I've met all the requirements according to the Player Guide but do not see the option to build Settler Cities.

So I peeked at export_descr_buildings a bit to see if I could figure what's going on. From what I can tell on line 35654, it should indeed be possible to build Settler Cities and Reforms in Baktria, so I have no clue what is blocking me from building it. The only thing left for me to ask is does this option only unlock after you've achieved independence? If there *is* some magical voodoo going on, I'd just like to point out it's not mentioned in the Player Guide, which just adds to my frustration.

I'll include the details of my capital so that you don't have to ask:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
Baktria
Large City
25698 households
54% Greek culture
Highways
Waystations and Garrisons
Field of Games
...some other stuff that shouldn't matter

I've already tried building Epistateia epi Hellenas, but it didn't help. Tl;dr I can't build Settler Cities, what am I doing wrong? Thanks for lending an ear, I appreciate it.