Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tips for bizs

Default tips for bizs

i played a bit the byzantines in the 1.3 and with the starting 10 grand i could quickly recruit merc units from anatolia and steamroll the kantakouzenoi before the ottomans came knocking.
    this version though the bizs start with 5 grant, what should i prioritise first? maybe take the galata?
    Last edited by sarpedon21; April 09, 2021 at 02:20 PM.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: tips for bizs

Personally I keep the Genose on my side

do you play on vh/vh? i cant seem to get to thessaloniki without loosing on vh/vh. i either get into big debt really fast or my army gets crippling loses in just 1 battle. thankfully bulgaria and the genoese in galata dont seem to want to attack me as yet.

I play on Vh/ Vh. I try at least if possible to avoid war until I consider myself built up in Konstinoupolis, and I make every effort to build solid alliances.

Ambush the enemy in passes. Keep a spy in your army, I can't remember how many times I have been ambushed myself. Even after decades of campaign
    Getting ahead early with armour too.
    I also secure the Morea (historically and a refuge) This will bring you into trouble with Latins though.
    Oh and avoid Lepanto a crusade will get called sooner or later.
    Try and keep Bulgaria sweet

You have enough enemies without upsetting the Genoese, though they don't necessarily understand why they occupy Galata and seem to think that it's a foothold for conquering your capital.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    You have enough enemies without upsetting the Genoese, though they don't necessarily understand why they occupy Galata and seem to think that it's a foothold for conquering your capital.
    Yes, that's a very good point. If it becomes possible give them a little sweener to keep them happy.
    If possible drag them into war with the Turk

JUST found out that if i get proclaimed emperor i automatically take all rebel town/armies. only problem are the serbs who usually take beroia/kastoria and larissa before i manage to move there.

Indeed, nevertheless a small price to pay for peace with Dusan. The Turk will be coming, and besides play your cards right and you might be able to seize territory in the Macedonia area if the Serb Boyars don't stay inline.

im thinking of abandoning asia and establishing an empire around serbia-boulgaria- greece.

Anyone have tips for Roman army composition in this mod? What do folks to ink of the Roman cavalry? Specifically the Dynatoi?

I usually set 4 kinds of armies up.

levy - extremely low cost units, good for garrisoning cities particularly hard to keep quiet either for cleaning up rebel armies throughout your empire.

Then so on:
    Low tier - 5 contaratoi spears, 3 arab swordsmen, 2 peltastoi ( akritai ), 3-4 archers ( not levy ), 2 alforrats, 3 stratiotai

Medium tier - 2 italian or german spearmen, 3 skoutatoi spears, 2 tzakones guards, 2 skoutatoi swords, 3 archers ( not levy ), 2 stratiotai, 1 german knights, 2 kavallarioi, 2 dynatoi

high tier - 4 skoutatoi sp, 3 tzakones marines, 2 englinovarangoi, 3 cretan archers, 2 dynatoi, 2 frankish knights, 3 paramonai guards

imperial army - 2 dismounted armigeri, 3 tzakones marines, 2 paramonai foot guards, 2 englinovarangoi, 3 mourtatoi archers ( or 2 of them plus 1 siphonatores ), 2 dynatoi, 2 catalan knights, 3 paramonai guards

PS: try to accomplish the most of special missions cause that gives you money and, above all, lots of imperial units ( this way i have got a great number of paramonai kats )

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

I use a ratio of 1/3 missiles, 1/3 cavalary and 1/3 infantry
    Missiles are Toxotai or Turkmen bowmen. Cavalary are Dynatoi and Stratiotae. Infantry preferably Tzakones but also Kontaratoi and Spathatoi. Siege army would have less cavalary and more infantry.
    I would occasionaly also have Mourtatoi Archers or Cretans and Varangians. They are difficult to retrain do.

By the time Timurids came I had some 18 full stacks
    Last edited by Hrobatos; May 16, 2021 at 01:58 PM.

I just recalled reading about one particular incident during this period. It amuses me to compare it with another Roman army. The Basileos Maurikios was usurped by the army allegedly because they did not wish to winter over the Danube.
    By the time we reach our period, albeit at a later date, we find a Roman army refusing to cross these foreign mountains, the Haemos mts, once Thrace the heart of the empire, now seemed distant and foreign.
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; October 18, 2021 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    I just recalled reading about one particular incident during this period. It amuses me to compare it with another Roman army. The Basileos Maurikios was usurped by the army allegedly because they did not wish to winter over the Danube.
    By the time we reach our period, albeit at a later date, we find a Roman army refusing to cross these foreign mountains, the Haemos mts, once Thrace the heart of the empire, now seemed distant and foreign.
    Remember when the Roman Empire Stretched from Iberia to Persia? Pepperidge farm remembers

I don't know if its the best strategy, but the first thing I did playing the Byzantines was to attack the Genoese and take Galata, in the first turn, collecting all the units I could. There will be a strong garrison, but the Byz have also good units, and siphonatores used well are decisive, they can massacre the enemy.
    After the Galata is taken the Genoese are far and irrelevant for the Byz, and there is no need to deal with a constant threat next to your capital. The next step is to conquer Hadrianopolis and Didymoteichon, which is more difficult, but with a determination its a matter of 15-20 turns. The Ottomans need to be somehow dealt with, which may be costly- if they attack well the player may lose Pegai and Kallipolis, but its worth it, because after conquering the Hadrianopolis and Didymoteichon and killing the usurper- the empire is united, so the player gets the bonus of another few cities. And the whole northern frontier becomes peaceful, the Serbs and Bulgarians are faithfully allies.

Then the emperor may focus on Ottomans, and sent the whole strength of the reunited empire against them. My advice is to be relentless and keep conquering until they are left with 2,3 cities. Otherwise they get some unexpected support by scripted events, which may be very troublesome if they are not weakened enough by this time. If they are weak enough they will go to the east conquering rebel cities. This way when the Timurids arrive they will get busy with the Ottomans, the player may just wait until both of them weakens by many battles and attack both. By this time the Byzantine empire will be totally a supreme power, with good units and very heavy cavalry.
    I played this campaign some time ago and it was a lot of fun, the idea of reconstructing the collapsing empire is awesome, it may be difficult sometimes, but not very much.

Honestly Byzantine have more benefit conquering Ottoman than Serbia or Bulgaria. Ottoman land are not only richer and closer to Constantinople (with Bursa equally as wealthy as Constantinople and Galata combined) they are also considered Byzantine core territories and you gained access to turkish bowmen in addition with greek core armies. Serbia and Bulgaria are quite worthless as far as recruitment goes except for Messembria and access to Serbian knight in all Serbian core territories.

The Paramonai Hippeis and Dynatoi are excellent heavy cavalry! How are other Roman players dealing with the Gendarmes of some of the western factions at the endgame (afaik the Gendarmes are the only western heavy cav clearly superior to those of the romans)?

Don't ask this Roman player. I play too close to history. I allow the evil green to spread
    This way I have both an enormous challenge and historic accuracy or there abouts. I might even loose.
    Loosing for fun

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    Honestly Byzantine have more benefit conquering Ottoman than Serbia or Bulgaria. Ottoman land are not only richer and closer to Constantinople (with Bursa equally as wealthy as Constantinople and Galata combined) they are also considered Byzantine core territories and you gained access to turkish bowmen in addition with greek core armies. Serbia and Bulgaria are quite worthless as far as recruitment goes except for Messembria and access to Serbian knight in all Serbian core territories.
    Are tirkish bowmen relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by PavleSubich View Post
    Are tirkish bowmen relevant?
    Definitely for byz. Toxotai are quite trash for regular archer and should be replace by either greek crossbowman(Recruited in Greek city) mercenary crossbowman(Everwhere with at least lv1 mercenary barracks except Anatolia) and turkmen bowmen (Recruited in Anatolia castle)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast