Thread: Auto Resolve Battle completely broken

Default Auto Resolve Battle completely broken

hi why is auto resolve battle so very much broken? 1 roman legion full triarii principes hastati velites equites vs 1 non armored barbarian army barely pyrrhic victory and when i play it manually i have heroic victory only with max 200 units dead because of armor difference and cavalry. 1 roman legion should be enough to wipe about 3 non armored armies especially when they have no cavalry. naval battles auto resolve are completely broken too, melee ships are not working they just die without kills even if they have more hp, stronger hull etc. there are many bugs like enemy attacking with transport ships my fleet only to be wiped, enemy/friendly armies get stuck all the time, but what pains me most is this auto resolve battle broken, just forcing me to spam armies and having bigger numbers instead using one army with strong troops this is completely not historically accurate.

Default Re: Auto Resolve Battle completely broken

i did wait for dei for many years and seems it was waste of yours and surely my time. this engine is too bad to work on it, this campaign is unplayable to me. and this 2 min waiting time before turn ends...

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Nah, it was waste of only your time, we enjoy our time.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Yeah, we wasted 7 years of our life you are right. I guess its time to give up modding. Go home, boys!

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

for real, this is literally one of, if not the best mod ever. I have no issues with auto resolve, in fact I find it very balancing as I tend to win my battles very strongly. I make house rules, where I am one character, and I can only fight the battles that character is in.

Smart move... have an issue with a mod. Choose one action:

A) Give productive feedback and an suggestion for further development for the modders
    B) Tell the Moders behind the most respected mod for the game that they wasted theirs and yours time

i dont know which one to choose.... the options don’t give a hint on successchance.....

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

Complete an entire campaign, winning every battle, without auto-resolving.

The mod is literally made to actually play more than 1 or 2 battles by hand per campaign, other than the current trend in recent TW titles....which seems to be dominated by AR.

On a sidenote, auto-resolve is broken in all TW games - if you consider, that you can win most encounter by stacking cheap missile troops - which CA consider for whatever reason top-notch in auto-resolve, because of the ammunition counter. The very best example is probably TW:Warhammer II, but you should know that already ^^
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

Quote Originally Posted by valky View Post

The mod is literally made to actually play more than 1 or 2 battles by hand per campaign, other than the current trend in recent TW titles....which seems to be dominated by AR.
    +1

I dont know why people even play this game if they just want to auto resolve

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

Have fun auto-resolving against a late Sarma, Parthia or Hayk army *wicked laugh*
    Those armies gave me a major headache and were uttermost fun to play in battle. I so hate cataphract archers.....
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

When people start saying that stuff is "broken", you know you're in for some heavy duty whining.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by valky View Post
    On a sidenote, auto-resolve is broken in all TW games - if you consider, that you can win most encounter by stacking cheap missile troops - which CA consider for whatever reason top-notch in auto-resolve, because of the ammunition counter. The very best example is probably TW:Warhammer II, but you should know that already ^^
    I don't think the autoresolve is broken. In some engines (I mean: Medieval 2) the heavy units have much higher effectiveness in the AR than the missile units. However, for me the most problematic is the sniping-group-of-armies tactics, that I've described in the Attila context, but is pertinent to all Warscape-based games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    After having played a dozen games with ATW-Great Campaign and ATW-AoC (and earlier in R2TW) I’ve come up with the dominant strategy which makes the game really boring (not to mention un-historical).

Features of R2TW and ATW that enable this strategy:
    · Limited number of armies per faction (depends on imperium level) – the number of armies a faction fights against depends on the number of factions it is at war with but not their strengths (ie one faction with 20+ provinces is much weaker than 3 factions with 3 provinces each).
    · No manpower limits (like in M2TW units’ refill rates, DeI mod for R2TW alleviates the problems) – if your army is destroyed, you just set up a new one: the speed depends on the recruitment slots, which are usually not a serious barrier.
    · Cheap units in comparison to the economy: most of the armies are 20-units armies. This is better in the AoC DLC, but still, the result is the same.
    · Automatic refill of the battle loses (if not enemy territory) – if you inflict losses on an enemy, he will come again in full numbers soon.
    · High movement ranges: long moves per turn possible what enables “catching” of enemy armies (I mean attacking twice: one attack may be avoided, but the second has to be fought to death).
    · Close-to-perfect knowledge of the enemy: where it’s positioned, how strong it is (only sometimes restricted by armies hiding or by having not enough agents) – also enable catching of the enemy armies.
    · Auto-resolve skewed to benefit the numerical superiority: even a small advantage in numbers produce effects when one army is wiped entirely, and the winner suffers very small losses.

Implementation of the strategy:
    · You get several full-stacks (2+) and tries to initiate the battles with higher numbers (2-1, 3-1,3-2 or more). The AI will flee but can do it only once. You get your army group on it again (what's enabled by the movement ranges), then autoresolve. The result should be the total annihilation of the enemy army(ies) with very low loses on your side - you can continue sniping immediately.
    · If the AI has more armies than you, you need to do it patiently – snipe one army, then another one, then you dominate.
    · It is sometimes employed also by the AI: it's not bad at positioning several of its armies around your army and attacking you. So the essential issue is to keep your armies together so that the AI cannot snipe by itself (and also to enable sniping by yourself). Perfect knowledge on the map enables it.
    · After you’ve annihilated the AI in one province you go to another one and do the same. It’s really a war of annihilation. To prevent AI from spawning again you’ve got to “raze” settlements in the ATW or take them in the AoC.
    · The result: playing the battles by yourself is really a worse option. Autoresolve is better plus battles with higher numbers are boring. You've got always lower loses and you can continue sniping. The composition of the armies (units), the quality of the leaders - matter much less.

Summary:
    With unlimited manpower and automatically replenishing armies what you need to beat the AI is to wipe completely his armies. It doesn't make any sense just to win a battle - the AI would replenish and come back soon. You really need to wipe the armies. You can do it with the numerical superiority (ie more armies to attack 2-1 or 3-2) and then attack two times in one turn, preferably on the autoresolve (otherwise they flee, now wiping). What follows, the superior tactics is "sniping the armies": you make a battle group of 2 full stacks and take enemy armies one-by-one. You also take and raze the AI settlements quickly as a follow up (especially as the WRE - you need to raze constantly the neighboring settlements, letting the AI to spend money on rebuilding them, and then razing them again).

The interplay between a few elements (1. relatively low prices for the units, both recruitment and upkeep; 2. no-limit of recruits (as it was in the M2TW, 3. automatic replenishment) makes it the superior tactics. Otherwise you face a constant flow of enemy armies. Thus for the ATW to be playable a mod would have to introduce a kind of strong mechanism counteracting this mechanics. How to do it, I don’t know.

Age of Charlemagne is slightly better, I admit. First: lower movement ranges combined with some terrain features (loses in the mountain passes, much slower movement there). Second: less money from the buildings. Third: no razing (unless you're Asturia). However, all this doesn't prevent this strategy to be effective and superior, to my mind. Interestingly, I've seen the AI in the AoC also using this tactics: kept 2-3 armies together and then attacked together in two-phased attack, wiping my armies.
    Tell me on what point I'm wrong...
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I don't think the autoresolve is broken. In some engines (I mean: Medieval 2) the heavy units have much higher effectiveness in the AR than the missile units. However, for me the most problematic is the sniping-group-of-armies tactics, that I've described in the Attila context, but is pertinent to all Warscape-based games.

Tell me on what point I'm wrong...
    i agree. of course the solution often taken in mods is to cripple the player with maluses, lowered income and increase upkeep so they can only afford 1 or 2 stacks so they are forced to fight and try to win battles 1v1 as enemies come into his territory, without the option to "snipe" them with autoresolve, or limit replenishment rate, while the AI has no such disadvantages. Of course that means that even if you win the battle, you will take losses, and not be able to resist the next stack.