Thread: [Roleplay] Getae

Default [Roleplay] Getae

Greetings,

There seems to be something of a roleplay/let’s play renaissance in the DEI community, so I am inspired to add my own creation.

This project is aimed at hardcore role-players, who enjoy a slow and deliberate pace.

A primary aim of this project is to form plausible rationalisations of events that take place in the game, not only from the player’s perspective, but also the AI. So, for example, if a character possesses a certain trait, or, skill, this may be used as a basis upon which to rationalise a specific decision.

A secondary aim of this project is to try and add an element of historicity to the overall narrative. To this end, I have planned and conducted quite extensive research and will continue this as the series progresses.

I understand this series is probably not for everyone, but thought I would post it in case a few you enjoy it.

The first video post here is an introduction to the project, which sets out the aims in more detail.

Below this, I will post the first episode. More shall be added in the future.

Thank you DEI team for a great mod :-)

Default Re: [Roleplay] Getae

Here is the first episode. 'A new king'.

Last edited by charlieh; May 15, 2021 at 11:24 AM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    nice
    Thank you Jake. I hope work on ROR goes well. Looking forward to hearing more as it progresses.

Interesting concept.

As an amateur video maker myself, I was really glad when someone pointed out the importance of Safe Zones to me.
    TLDR; Some device will crop the screen, In your case Youtube might decide to crop the screen for no apparent reason (!) and you will end up losing 15% of the txt.
    Making most of it ineligible.
    Most editing software have an option to turn on an overlay of where the Safe Zones are.

Also, I think you will do much better if you introduce TTS (text to speech) or even your voice.
    Most people utilize YouTube as a visual or audio (leaving it in the background) medium, some find the need to read as a foreign concept (On Youtube).
    Not sure you want to attract those kind of people, but its some food for thought.

In case you want to experiment;
    Google has some free TTS with nice vocal ranges.
    The example is horrible, of an accent I find funny... but there are also some 'normal'/'human' voices.
    Notably the British B, Most of the Americans and Indian ones as well.

Hope it helps,
    Good luck conquering the world!

Thank you for the feedback Oga. That first point does sound concerning. I will keep an eye on it.

Second episode, 'Political and divine coercion'.

Last edited by charlieh; May 15, 2021 at 11:35 AM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

I am a little bit disappointed by the Falxmen aren't you?

Edit: I mean on the Trajan's Column you see a lot of diversity of falxes and also the amount and type of armour. Also they had an ambassador who negociated the alliance with Pompei in Thrace so they should be able to recruit some Thracians too don't you think? It is clearly said Burebista the greatest king of Thrace in Dionysopolis.

Also more diversity for the Roxolani and also some Bastarnae included in the roster would be nice.

I mean after all they made the Romans improve their armour you know...

Edit: Oh yeah he also subdued the Scordisci and pacified them so... Scordisci as well.

Also in Scythia Minor we have the Greeks and the Celts so some Greek and Celtic influences too.

Also there were found some Celtic and Hellenic helmets in Romania so more diversity would be nice.

Search for Noviodunum, Arrubium, Aegyssus (Celtic), Callatis, Histria, Tomis, Dionysopolis, Odessos, Olbia (Greek), Peuce Island (Germanic).

Oh yeah also the Scythian Agathyrsi.

So more diversity. I mean for instance in Scythia Minor there were Greeks, Scythians, Thracians, Celts and Germans (Bastarnae) even now is the most diverse region of Romania with many nations. Also the Sarmatian Iassy from Iași region and the Roxolani from Bărăgan. The Celtic Scordisci în Timoc Valley and Scythian Agathyrsi from somewhere in the center don't remember exactly.

So a lot of mercs possibility there.

Edit: Well about the Agathyrsi Herodotus places them in Transylvania while Pliny in Crimea so who knows maybe they migrated in the meantime. Also they are not mentioned as allies of the Getae or Dacians how you prefer so the Bastarnae and Roxolani allies and the conquered Scordisci, Greeks, Thracians and Scythians of Olbia I guess. Which can be AoR, true. But anyway we have the Gallothracians so I guess that counts. And the Cordinau Orca! Love those!

Edit: Oh yeah and the Roman deserters!

Edit: Yeah I took another look and I must apologise, they're awesome the way they are and AoR and Mercs do the rest! I don't know how I looked earlier frankly!
    Last edited by Visarion; May 19, 2021 at 04:13 PM.

Third episode, 'Threats and reconciliation'.