Thread: Does this article hides something?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Does this article hides something?

The title says it all. https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-lord-of-the-rings .
    The question that emerges is that if CA/SEGA will use TWC modder's work without their consent.
    That would be "legal" but imoral ...
    Other questions that emerge are:
    Will the walls of Minas Tirith melt with rain and air like Attila or the settlement -as someone wrote in Facebook- will have no walls at all to allow stupid AI to storm the city?
    Will the besiegers use the siege equipent like in Rome II? With such stupitidy?
    Finally : Why bother buy a AI stupid game for moeny when TATW has complex scripts and id free?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Does this article hides something?

Firstly. The biggest issue are rights. Not only to aquire Tolkienīs which are probably quite mess because CA would most likely go for all possible sources...LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion.... CA can be right now the best studio around to try such endeavour...they can put on table very loreful Wh1/2/3 games. Big successes. Exactly resume you want to find in somebody applying for your IP.... But the issue can be as well relationship with GW. There might be easily note preventing CA from touching any other major IP + why do it if GW might be willing to try TW Wh40k...I can see both way happening...

CA will not use modders work because backlash it could lead to. Why? To save some bucks? Come on, you can sell DLC for Tolkien almost as long as for Wh so why using modders work as base. I can imagine rarely CA being influenced by mods...but units especially? Nope..

People will buy it because it will be the new game. Honestly majority of people,casual people is caring about "living" games. Not about any mods for 10+ year old game (by time this new TW emerges). It is the very same logic like why should anybody care about new games when we have all old ones....yet there are new and new games all the time.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Knowing how incapable CA/SEGA DEVS ARE i would not be surpriced if Settlements that created by modders with the IWTE tool would be "polished" and put in to the game.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I find it improbable, even disingenuous to think CA will outright lift modder's work for the title. But getting into that would be to repeat myself. There's not much farther a 'what if they steal from modders' focused conversation can go. If they do they will be discovered and criticized accordingly.

I think there are two problems with the title, though neither would prohibit CA from trying. Politically it's a stretch to make the game play like a traditional total war title. It's possible, but a little radical in the dynamics it raises. Secondly, it would be a shift from my expectations if they actually got the rights per Daruwind's concern. But in spite of both I'm sure the sales would be quite excellent and the vision of such a game is quite achievable. If it will ever actually happen is another question.

There's a Med 2 mod for almost everything CA has published one way or another in setting, and CA has published anyways. Given it would be a different experience than Medieval 2 modding I don't think the existence of a Medieval 2 mod would in any way kill the sales of an actual title any more than Rome Remastered won't sell because there are multiple big rome mods, even stuffed with more assets than the remaster. But all of this is contingent on true evidence that such a title will ever appear.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    The title says it all. https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-lord-of-the-rings .
    The question that emerges is that if CA/SEGA will use TWC modder's work without their consent.
    That would be "legal" but imoral ...
    How could that be immoral when CA actually own all mods that is created for the game?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    How could that be immoral when CA actually own all mods that is created for the game?
    CA/SEGA does not own all mods create for the game.
    Like CA/SEGA ToU there are mods that also have stablished legal Terms of Use like TGC.
    I spoke to my lawyer and he agreed that ANY ELEMENT that TGC mod has WRITEN PERMISION FROM ITS THE ORIGINAL CREATORS to use for free only in TGC IS FORBITEN EVEN FOR CA/SEGA to use without THEIR ALSO WRITEN PERMISION and that means comunication with them, pay rights etc.

@AnthoniusII CA/Sega gives about your rights. Unless proven in court...They only recognize other IP owners like GW for Warhammer, Tolkienīs Estate..... and then there is public outcry and controversy which is much more bigger issue so "stealing" any content has no sense. They have full team and can create whatever content they want. Because while you have rights for your own creation, it is most likely as well copyright infringement unless you have permission to modify the game. At best it is no win scenario for modder.

Plus choose one. Either be worry that CA will use without permission any content because they can or be sure they cannot legally and thus they will not. You cannot vote for both options as they are not logically possible at the same time...

More than likely CA would put their foot down and deny a mod's right to exist, being that they often draw strongly from the intellectual properties of others (ie, the LOTR mod). The right to your own constructs being called yours may not be a right for you to have made them and called them LOTR material. But that's a moot aside. As entertaining as the responses to that end will be, it really won't go anywhere.

Exactly. Creating model, textures is one thing. But having right to call it as part of IPs you are not having right to. It is much simpler to create generic stuff for historical game but going for any IP especially owned by other company like GW, Estates,....that would be quick way to be taken down..

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I should have gotten a copy right for my Rise of three Kingdoms.....

G Rava
    R.D'AMMATO
    HellenicArmors
    are aonly few of the original creators my mod has spesific writen permision to use their original material as basis for our own.
    CA.SEGA has to contact them (just like it did with the Imperial British Naval Museum" to PAY or not , to have its own writen permisions. As simple as that.
    That is the reason TROY TW can not use HellenicArmors material as reference.

G Rava
    R.D'AMMATO
    HellenicArmors
    are aonly few of the original creators my mod has spesific writen permision to use their original material as basis for our own.
    CA.SEGA has to contact them (just like it did with the Imperial British Naval Museum" to PAY or not , to have its own writen permisions. As simple as that.
    Can you state single instance where CA has not covered all neccessary rights/permissions?

Who cares about those people if CA is not using their stuff as base for anything? CA has to contact me for right, if they want to use my drawing as source....except they never will as they will never use them in such manner ;-)

You are posting hypothetical situation with outcome that is unlikely to happen - CA using those sources and CA not obtaining rights...So even if you have rights. CA wonīt use your mod anyway. I really donīt see isuue you keep bringing on...

I know it's redundant, but I'm going to bluntly reiterate that CA won't and won't care to steal or otherwise request the work of you or modders you mentioned. Rest easy. In no way is it worth it to them, thus any continuation is a silly hypothetical.

Real article here
    https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/cre...tal-war-series

CA doesnīt need to focus on R1 rework. They are as successful as possible with what they are doing now - Wh, 3K, Troy. Tldr anybody hoping CA is doing bad or needs to change are not living in reality ;-)

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

G Rava
    R.D'AMMATO
    HellenicArmors

Antonius, if CA/SEGA decide to use historically accurate Greek armor, they will get the rights just like you did. If you could afford to get these rights, so can they. CA has a legal team that is paid for such things. They have no reason to "steal" anything. They can afford to buy the rights. Also, I don't know who you contacted but CA would probably contact some Greek Museum or archaelogists and pay them. Such things are 'business expenses' and not a problem for a company.

The reason CA/SEGA didn't use HellenicArmors Material as reference is that they didn't care enough about authenticity or they found the material they wanted in a different place. Considering what I have seen from Troy, I would say... they didn't care about Authenticity.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Antonius, if CA/SEGA decide to use historically accurate Greek armor, they will get the rights just like you did. If you could afford to get these rights, so can they. CA has a legal team that is paid for such things. They have no reason to "steal" anything. They can afford to buy the rights. Also, I don't know who you contacted but CA would probably contact some Greek Museum or archaelogists and pay them. Such things are 'business expenses' and not a problem for a company.
    That was my point too. CA/SEGA could "think" that if some material that others have its rights is in a TW mod can have it for free is wrong.
    I nottified all those you mention to "keep an eye" in the future. I would love to see CA/SEGA pay for the rights the rightfull creators and finally have a clear authenticity in a TW game.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd like to know when they've ever been proven to steal assets that would make this subject a concern in the first place. Aside from dislike for their creative choices I really don't see where it comes from. Not to mention a developer that's only getting larger and more lucrative.

Come on. The header shows a Minas Tirith that's basically a copy of the Return of the King movie. Nothing from the Rome Lord of the Rings mod would begin to be suitable to import into a modern game. If CA ever got a license to make Middle Earth games and they wished to use the movie style they'd recreate it themselves. Using the same source material isn't anything close to plagiarism of a derivative work. Which that mod is.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!