Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have we gone too far with computer technology?

Campidoctor

Default Re: Have we gone too far with computer technology?

We ourselves are just an algorithm. When you do x, I also do x, {if} I comply with it, {else} I will do y {endif}

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Have we gone too far with computer technology?

^^ With a number of factors derived from genes, memory and unknown things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    1. Social media is bad on a personal level: It makes you sick.
    No it doesn't. Isn't it happy to see e.g. your friends travel somewhere or find new things? They have been nothing but aspirations for me!

Jealousy is what makes you sick and we should not think in such a negative way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    1. Conversely the high skilled white collar people can only expect their salaries to rise. Making a couple thousand jobs superfluous makes you an extremely valuable asset. This and the previous two points very much lead to the same result, which is the stratification and feudalisation of the world. The Pareto distribution has always been the natural state of wealth distribution, but technology makes this curve much more pronounced. Social upwards mobility has always been a hard thing to achieve for most people - Technology can ultimately make it all but impossible except for some lucky few. Those lucky few in turn get even more spectacular results. Even once we ignore dumb money magnets such as Musk and the vast amounts of money being pumped into stock markets without any corresponding productivity increase, the kind of success Jeff Bezos and Zuckerberg have would have been quite unattainable in previous centuries.
    2. There are lots of ethical concerns to be had with CRISPR, neuroscience (just not Neuralink or any other company of Musk for that matter), and a number of other appliances.
    [/list]
    People are being made obsolete because of the complete lack of improvement on the human side. We have not become better or smarter, and education can't help much because most people are awfully dull, unambitious and uninterested - they all want to live in the old way but enjoy the fruit of ongoing technology development such as advanced healthcare and automations. How can this continue? (just ask if any of them want to die by 50 or a life without modern toilet)

On the other hand, their support is absolutely needed if we're going to build a galactic or multiverse empire one day and I agree we need to fabricate new American or world dreams to keep them in line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12