Thread: Political Promotion - Cursus honorum

Default Political Promotion - Cursus honorum

Greetings,

I've been looking for specific information on how to move the characters in my game through the Roman Cursus Honorum, and I'm having trouble finding the latest information, or perhaps not, I've found this information below, in my search, but this post is a bit old and from 1.2 I believe. Is this still correct, and the correct requirements to move each character through the Cursus Honorum? Or are things slightly different now?

Quaestor - At least 5 battles won and at least 30 years old
    Aedile - At least 10 battles won and at least 34 years old
    Praetor - At least 15 battles won and at least 39 years old
    Consul - At least 20 battles won and at least 42 years old
    Proconsul - One year after attaining the Consulship
    Censor - At least 30 battles won and at least 53 years of age

Is this still the correct path through the Cursus Honorum?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Political Promotion - Cursus honorum

check cursus_honorum_level_requirements_tables so to see how the age is set
    open the first dei pack with pfm/rpfm

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    check cursus_honorum_level_requirements_tables so to see how the age is set
    open the first dei pack with pfm/rpfm
    Ah, well that will at least show me where to look. Appreciate it bud!

A lot of that is scripted also.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    A lot of that is scripted also.
    <br>
    <br>
    Yeah this is what I'm getting from cursus_honorum_level_requirements_tables

lvl subculture Key Age Rank
    1 sc_rom_roman 25 2
    2 sc_rom_roman 30 3
    3 sc_rom_roman 32 4
    4 sc_rom_roman 35 5
    5 sc_rom_roman 999 6
    6 sc_rom_roman 999 7
    7 sc_rom_roman

So are the battle requirements scripted in combination with these numbers?
    Last edited by WRL; April 09, 2021 at 05:59 PM.

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

IIRC in older DeI revisions the Cursus honorum was fully script controlled and battle dependent. Now you can just use 'secure Promotion' once the level + age requirements are met as well. (because I usually have a few tax/food generals, who never participated in battle and have their political rank to 6 and higher. For other parties this can also trigger by political incident.

The script still auto-promotes Generals, who actually fight battles. Though, the age requirements seem to be set much higher compared to the manual promotion.
    ie Rome Rank 1 to 2: (or every other faction)
    (context:character():battles_won() >= 3) and (context:character():age() >= 30)

I just promoted a General by hand at age 25 in my current campaign to political rank 2 - never saw a single battle

If that helps....
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

Early ranks you can secure through promotion or battles, later ones require battles if I remember.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Baktria:
    My highest farming/tax General has political rank 5 already (age 41 / rank 6 - Macedonian Nobility) - manually promoted.
    I think the script ensures, that at least fighting generals get auto-promoted, even for other houses. SInce it would be easy to maintain the gravitas flow and balance, if all Generals can be kept at political rank 1. (with the occasional political incident that promotes as well)
    It's already much easier, because you can marry off any & everything - the woman are a great option to deal with the political balance

Am pretty sure, for manual promotion, the table is only getting used, since the requirements fit exactly with all my Generals.

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

Quote Originally Posted by valky View Post
    Baktria:
    My highest farming/tax General has political rank 5 already (age 41 / rank 6 - Macedonian Nobility) - manually promoted.
    I think the script ensures, that at least fighting generals get auto-promoted, even for other houses. SInce it would be easy to maintain the gravitas flow and balance, if all Generals can be kept at political rank 1. (with the occasional political incident that promotes as well)
    It's already much easier, because you can marry off any & everything - the woman are a great option to deal with the political balance

Am pretty sure, for manual promotion, the table is only getting used, since the requirements fit exactly with all my Generals.
    So manual promotion goes according to the table, however, there is a script that auto promotes based on military victories is what I'm getting out of this... Sound about right?

^yes - worked in my oldish Egypt campaign (*finished with veni, vidi, vici yay*) half a year ago....and is working exactly like that in my fresh Bactria campaign. (started after the update, so no leftover...cleared old files and such)

I never really paid attention to that in my last campaign (Egypt), as I typically use the women to maintain loyalty/public order and alike ..
    I try to get most of my beneficial fighting generals and keep them in my house, but usually one of my 2nd or 3rd in command is from another house - that makes it much easier to maintain the balance. Every other general does province maintenance and provides food/tax/+++ income + PO and I can upgrade them just fine, even if they haven't seen a single battle.

(and I hammer that promotion-button as soon as it is available *cough* - less upkeep/ more mA/MD ^^ more public order .. more of everything)

That being said, in older DeI versions, the promotion was capped at a certain point and only battle could get you further promotion. But that's quite some time ago....and more or less experimentental for only Roma at the beginning. With the general update to Emperor Edition a few things were added from CA...and DeI adapted to it and changed accordingly.
    While I barely finish my campaigns..it's safe to say I watch the DeI evolution nearly since the beginning .. closely I wanna have that BaI in all my TW games...but KAM got lazy lately. (I could take over at least the warhammer proper_combat)

edit: no offense, KAM :> I know you are involved in a crapton of other things...
    Last edited by valky; April 14, 2021 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valky View Post
    ^yes - worked in my oldish Egypt campaign (*finished with veni, vidi, vici yay*) half a year ago....and is working exactly like that in my fresh Bactria campaign. (started after the update, so no leftover...cleared old files and such)

I never really paid attention to that in my last campaign (Egypt), as I typically use the women to maintain loyalty/public order and alike ..
    I try to get most of my beneficial fighting generals and keep them in my house, but usually one of my 2nd or 3rd in command is from another house - that makes it much easier to maintain the balance. Every other general does province maintenance and provides food/tax/+++ income + PO and I can upgrade them just fine, even if they haven't seen a single battle.

(and I hammer that promotion-button as soon as it is available *cough* - less upkeep/ more mA/MD ^^ more public order .. more of everything)

That being said, in older DeI versions, the promotion was capped at a certain point and only battle could get you further promotion. But that's quite some time ago....and more or less experimentental for only Roma at the beginning. With the general update to Emperor Edition a few things were added from CA...and DeI adapted to it and changed accordingly.
    While I barely finish my campaigns..it's safe to say I watch the DeI evolution nearly since the beginning .. closely I wanna have that BaI in all my TW games...but KAM got lazy lately. (I could take over at least the warhammer proper_combat)

edit: no offense, KAM :> I know you are involved in a crapton of other things...
    Well I started to get concerned because I'm not seeing the promotion button ungrey itself out so I can promote people, but I'm thinking what my problem is, is that I play 12tpy so it's taking forever, for them to age up enough. Got a bunch of kids apparantly running my empire. No ones over 25 except for the 2 consuls you start with. ;P

Patrician

lower the age thresholds in the cursus_honorum_level_requirements_tables

One thing I noticed is that in factions with female generals (such as nomads), they can rank up to the max level without any age/battle requirement, just by sending them on missions. Probably unintended, but it might to hard to implement the same requirements without also preventing "standard" wives from ranking up via missions.

Considering that it is probably hardcoded, I guess the best option is to send them on missions but never use them as generals/governors. That way you still get stuff like reduced empire maintenance at the higher levels without the more OP benefits.

Patrician

yeah it's hardcoded, sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    lower the age thresholds in the cursus_honorum_level_requirements_tables
    I was able to get this worked out and working right, thank you for the suggestion, it got me where I needed, where I can move my characters up the Cursus Honorum. You're the best brother!