Thread: Admirals not Relinquishing their command (Merging Fleets)

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Default Admirals not Relinquishing their command (Merging Fleets)

Hello,

First of all I'm sorry if this was already questioned/answered or if this is maybe a feature of the new patch. I've been away from the forum (and game) and this may be something new.

I started a new campaign and I can't join in one two separate fleets, even when both admirals have no stars or any other trait besides the "well Supplied".

For example, I start with a fleet of 3 naval units. I separate the fleet in three so I can ferry units between my lands. On the same turn I can merge all "naval units" back to one commanded by one admiral, but when I move to the next turn, none of the Admirals want to relinquish their command. Both units are grayed.

I don't remember that happening in the previous versions of the game so I don't know if this is a new feature or not. I also don't remember seeing this in other mods or on the Vanilla game. I've done a quick searched on the forum and didn't found an answer, sorry for that.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Admirals not Relinquishing their command (Merging Fleets)

I've seen this before in all versions of EBII. No idea what causes it.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Thank you Quintus, and sorry for the trouble.

It is what it is.

Whenever an admiral has any trait or ancillary, it's impossible to completely merge his stack. That's normal M2TW behavior.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Whenever an admiral has any trait or ancillary, it's impossible to completely merge his stack. That's normal M2TW behavior.
    I understand it is normal M2TW behavior. So to be clear, I was talking about the behavior when joining two fleets when at least one of the Admirals has no traits or ancillary.

I really remember this wasn't the case on the previous version so I checked what happened on EBII 2.35. On this version the "Supplied" trait for Admirals was not yet implemented in this version, as it it now in version 2.35A.and as such you could normally join the fleets of two admirals because they had "none" in the Trait section.

I checked the "export_descr_character_traits.txt" files of both version, and only the 2.35A has the "Supplied" trait for the Admirals in the Agent section.

So, this is a feature now.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

They might be a hidden trait involved as technically you are right that a fleet without traits or ancillaries should merge with another fleet. Do a simply search and replace action in the EDCT that places a semi-colon in front of each hidden entry. That should show if there is indeed a hidden trait involved. Example:
    Code:
    Trait Celtic
        Characters all
       ; Hidden

Level Celtic
            Description Hidden_desc
            EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc
            Threshold  1
    Make a backup before proceeding!
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 07, 2021 at 11:48 PM.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    They might be a hidden trait involved as technically you are right that a fleet without traits or ancillaries should merge with another fleet. Do a simply search and replace action in the EDCT that places a semi-colon in front of each hidden entry. That should show if there is indeed a hidden trait involved. Example:
    Code:
    Trait Celtic
        Characters all
       ; Hidden

Level Celtic
            Description Hidden_desc
            EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc
            Threshold  1
    Make a backup before proceeding!
    Hello Gigantus. Thank you very much for your feedback.

I was able to remove the "NavalSupplies" trait from one of the admirals using the console and, as suspected, the fleets can merge without issue.

I leave some images here for visual support.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sorry for being redundant. Just trying to clarify that this is a new behavior from patch 2.35A. 2.35 didn't had this. But I can live with this.

Thank you all for the answers.

By the way, why the change on Carthage colour?

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    By the way, why the change on Carthage colour?
    Ahhh, with white I can't really see the fog of war on the mini map, so I prefer changing it to a darker color

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Ahhh, with white I can't really see the fog of war on the mini map, so I prefer changing it to a darker color
    Were you aiming for a Tyrian purple? Does it not contrast badly with Roman red?

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Were you aiming for a Tyrian purple? Does it not contrast badly with Roman red?
    Yes, that was the inspiration but can't really say I'm being truly faithful to the color. I actually made this years back, remember sampling colors from the cloaks of the old Sacred Band textures.

Contrast is not the best if you play with the mini map zoomed out, unfortunately. Zoomed in, it is Okeyish, I guess. But I let others to be the judge.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Trying to see if I can tune the color a little bit (instead of playing of course ), good thing it is savegame compatible change.

This issue has been considered when we were coding these traits; the general consensus agreed upon leaving the traits in the game, at the price of the small discomfort of not being able of merging fleets.
    If you don't want to spawn another admiral, you have to be careful to train new naval units only when a fleet is already stationing in the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Trying to see if I can tune the color a little bit (instead of playing of course ), good thing it is savegame compatible change.
    What numbers are you using? I would like to try that myself.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    What numbers are you using? I would like to try that myself.
    Currently have this:
    Code:
    primary_colour                    red 102, green 30, blue 72
    secondary_colour                red 102, green 30, blue 72
    Hope you enjoy it.

On the main topic, we've addressed this by stopping the immediate assignment of that hidden trait. It means you should get a turn or two to gather fleets before it becomes an Admiral in it's own right and un-merge-able.

That means as well as recruiting into a stack already in port, you should have a turn's grace to move a new fleet to join an existing one.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    On the main topic, we've addressed this by stopping the immediate assignment of that hidden trait. It means you should get a turn or two to gather fleets before it becomes an Admiral in it's own right and un-merge-able.

That means as well as recruiting into a stack already in port, you should have a turn's grace to move a new fleet to join an existing one.
    Thank you very much for the update. That indeed makes it easier to reinforce existing fleets and also creating a new one by multiple construction of ships in different ports, all in the same turn.

After playing around with the current system there were always ways to go around the existing limitation, so it was doable. Hopefully this "little" change doesn't compromise your overall objective with the naval trait system.

Got to say I love the attention given to the admiral/fleets in the form of their trait system. Makes managing them all much more interesting and forces you to be more strategic with your fleets.

Thank you.