Thread: First Secretary of the Rings / 30th anniversary of Tolkien's work adaptation

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default First Secretary of the Rings / 30th anniversary of Tolkien's work adaptation

Privet comrades!

With so many Tolkien fans around, it is my great pleasure to reveal this gem to you.
    A gem of late soviet cinematography that has been lost for millenia (or since the collapse of the USSR) and the original adaptation of the J.R.R.Tolkien's great work.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6RZg_AqaY
    Last edited by Vladyvid; April 07, 2021 at 02:29 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: First Secretary of the Rings / 30th anniversary of Tolkien's work adaptation

O my dude I gave that a look yesterday, I almost chocked laughing

Am I wrong or is that just the fellowship of the Ring?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: First Secretary of the Rings / 30th anniversary of Tolkien's work adaptation

You are, it is the comradeship of the ring.
    Last edited by Iskar; April 07, 2021 at 06:22 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

@Flinn, i dont know if a "just" fits here at all. You are not wrong tho as for which part of the source material is covered.

I know this may now seem funny, but who is to say if the future generations will not unearth this, and not "the other one" of the Tolkien's adaptations, and in the collective memory of our distant seccessors it will be this soviet version that lives on.. oh man its hard to write this sentence even if i will be long gone by that time.

As a side note, there is also a soviet Hobbit, from 1985 if i recall, and its also good...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I saw that yesterday, I'm glad to see it's making a resurgence. This is truly the cinematic masterpiece that Tolkien truly would have loved to have seen. Peter Jackson's adaptation pales in comparison to this Russian masterpiece.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

This one beats Peter Jacksons for the simple fact that it has Tom Bombadil in it.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

This is two years early for the anniversary, but I cannot help posting. It is a similar Finnish adaptation of the story from 1993, albeit with a slight tongue-in-the-cheek approach. There are English subtitles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gzW...DfF8FKKXQq5ONn

In the first part, Gollum (Finnish Klonkku) is particularly impressive (from 11:50 on).

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Oh my, Gollum truly is something to behold there.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

LOL @ blond Soviet Frodo. That was pretty gnarly, but somehow not the cheesiest, oddest, off-the-wall medieval fantasy Soviet film. Ruslan and Ludmila is a strong contender for that.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Dont know if anyone noticed that, but Frodo is not called Frodo Baggins in this version (or at least the part ive seen), but i heard they called him Frodo Drogoson, or something like that.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I wonder what the Tolkien estate thinks of these lmao

I bet christopher is rolling in his grave rn. I mean, he didn't even like Jackson's LOTR

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Id like to know Peter Jacksons reaction, or anyone from the cast of his movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Dont know if anyone noticed that, but Frodo is not called Frodo Baggins in this version (or at least the part ive seen), but i heard they called him Frodo Drogoson, or something like that.
    I have been under the impression that Tolkien, who was a philologist first and foremost and obsessed with languages, wanted the names that invoke associations for English speakers to be translated similarly. And others to be adapted in case the original name would be hard to pronounce or appear excessively foreign.

For instance, in Finnish Baggins is "Reppuli", which combines reppu ("backpack") and -li (a derivational suffix; implies a noun with either diminutive or childlike qualities). Thus, also Gollum (mimicking the swallowing sounds he made) would be unacceptable in Finnish, so it became "Klonkku" that does the job of vaguely referring to swallowing noisily.

I read somewhere that Drogo is the name of Frodo's dad, so Drogoson would not be that much of a stretch. Also, im not really sure if they called him Drogoson, or Drogo's son (as the word "son" sounds similar in russian). I cant understand everything so im not sure.

For instance, in Finnish Baggins is "Reppuli", which combines reppu ("backpack") and -li (a derivational suffix; implies a noun with either diminutive or childlike qualities). Thus, also Gollum (mimicking the swallowing sounds he made) would be unacceptable in Finnish, so it became "Klonkku" that does the job of vaguely referring to swallowing noisily.

I understand the reasons, but im generally not a fan of changing the names from the source material.

I read somewhere that Drogo is the name of Frodo's dad, so Drogoson would not be that much of a stretch. Also, im not really sure if they called him Drogoson, or Drogo's son (as the word "son" sounds similar in russian). I cant understand everything so im not sure.
    Okay, that makes sense actually. I do not really know Russian except very superficially, but I can see how "Baggins" is nothing but weird to a Russian person without a good command of English.

I understand the reasons, but im generally not a fan of changing the names from the source material.
    I see your point, and I would not apply it to most things either. But in stories when the name is supposed describe the character or place somehow, not doing it like Tolkien supposedly wanted it would make almost every place, named object, and person completely unrelatable.
    I could not really see American or British kids enjoying the story about Schneeweißchen and the seven dwarfs.

To illustrate how nonsensical unlocalized names can be, I beg you to picture the works of Tolkien being written in Finnish originally with the names kept as they are in translation. You would read about Bilbo Reppuli from Repunpää in Kontu and his misadventures in the forest of Synkmetsä, armed with his magical sword Piikki. Or Frodo Reppuli meeting that mysterious character Konkari in Brii in an inn called Pomppiva poni. And the learning about the fallout between Gandalf Harmaa and Saruman Valkoinen. No.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 20, 2021 at 12:51 PM.