Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A released!

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and say I think the projectile changes are great. My hemithorakitai peltophoroi absolutely cleaned house when flinging javelins into unarmoured, unshielded infantry blobs (enough to cause a few routs on some occasions!) but bounced semi-harmlessly off units with armour and large shields. Feels way better than 2.35.
    Hemithorakitai and Merc Hoplites were the mid-point units we were using to gauge the changes. As in they shouldn't be slaughtered like flies, the way unarmoured units are, but equally they shouldn't be as durable under missile fire as fully armoured Hoplites and other heavier units are.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Historical question to anyone that knows: The Asanan Riders, Asanan Ashwabara, are meant to represent the Wusun nobles right ?

Very good job for rebalancing the units, loving the patch.

I'm pretty sure I fixed the Massagetes with the correctly-named folder - can anyone confirm that's now the case?

2.35A

What are the conditions that spawn rebels, now that brigand_spawn is disabled? I've looked at the code in campaign_script.txt, and it looks like there is a 2% chance for every turn. Am I reading this correctly? And if so, does the 2% stack up, will it be 4% the next turn?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm pretty sure I fixed the Massagetes with the correctly-named folder - can anyone confirm that's now the case?
    Working fine for me in custom battles now !

Quote Originally Posted by Venetus View Post
    What are the conditions that spawn rebels, now that brigand_spawn is disabled? I've looked at the code in campaign_script.txt, and it looks like there is a 2% chance for every turn. Am I reading this correctly? And if so, does the 2% stack up, will it be 4% the next turn?
    It's not cumulative, it's 6% chance each turn (only one of the two or three spawns can happen at a time), as long as it's not in "cooldown". Basically each time they spawn, a timer is set so the random trigger stops until a minimum number of turns have passed.

I think it works out at about once every 50 turns for each province (which means somewhere will be spawning virtually every turn). More for the old "Troublesome Regions". The big 8-unit spawns also cause unrest in the settlement and are likely to besiege any poorly-garrisoned city.

You can't stop them happening, they never "end". The only place that is an exception to them is your faction's starting capital province (and the same goes for the AI's starting capital).

I'm really curious what people make of this, it's deliberately designed to be more threatening than the old bandit spawns and mean you can't ignore your interior as "safe". At the same time, as long as you maintain decent garrisons and have a mobile reaction force, they shouldn't be more than a good way to keep your young FMs in shape.

It was also my hair-brained idea from concept through to execution (though obviously the historians chose the composition of the spawns).
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 08, 2021 at 02:47 PM.

Campidoctor

Playing as Rome, does the existence of a hellenistic colony preclude me from eventually establishing a roman colony of my own? I ask because the colony building can't be destroyed.

Also, the civic strife building doesn't seem to affect me (according to the description and lack of visible modifiers), but I guess I'd ask whether there is anything hidden being affected? Like maybe blocked off paths for building my own faction stuff or anything else..

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Playing as Rome, does the existence of a hellenistic colony preclude me from eventually establishing a roman colony of my own? I ask because the colony building can't be destroyed.

Also, the civic strife building doesn't seem to affect me (according to the description and lack of visible modifiers), but I guess I'd ask whether there is anything hidden being affected? Like maybe blocked off paths for building my own faction stuff or anything else..
    Do you mean a polis? You can destroy Hellenistic Colonies.

The Stasis and Autonomia buildings aren't for you, they're to create unrest for Hellenistic factions in places that are Hellenised. You already get the "foreign" culture penalty, which is trouble enough. They don't do anything for non-Hellenistic factions.

Imho, It'd be better to have events that grant the ability to bribe them off (eg. Barbarian invasion events for Pergamon) and the more ''Troublesome Regions'' could cost more.
    Both: fighting and bribing would have an effect on AI expansion, also the player's to some degree.
    Just an idea...i'm more than happy with the current setting.
    Last edited by Venetus; April 08, 2021 at 03:14 PM.

Campidoctor

I did mean polis, I guess as listed in the player guide under a general colonies heading. So those I can't destroy, but can destroy military colonies. Same question though, will having a hellenistic polis present preclude latin colonies being established? I can only assume the answer is no, but you would know better!

Quote Originally Posted by Venetus View Post
    Imho, It'd be better to have events that grant the ability to bribe them off (eg. Barbarian invasion events for Pergamon) and the more ''Troublesome Regions'' could cost more.
    Both: fighting and bribing would have an effect on AI expansion, also the player's to some degree.
    Just an idea...i'm more than happy with the current setting.
    That would be a nightmarishly complicated script, given it would have to be replicated 199 (every region) x 28 (every faction) times. The current script is one long monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    I did mean polis, I guess as listed in the player guide under a general colonies heading. So those I can't destroy, but can destroy military colonies. Same question though, will having a hellenistic polis present preclude latin colonies being established? I can only assume the answer is no, but you would know better!
    Yes, you can't destroy polis buildings, and they don't have any impact on your colonisation. They do stop those who can build the Foreign Colony building the biggest one if they're over a certain size.

Mazaka riders don t crash the game now in custom battles.

re: the new revolts - generally my experience seems to be (80 turns in) that there's fewer revolts than in 2.35 but they're more substantial and I find myself fighting more of those battles in 2.35A rather than just autoresolving random three/four-unit-stacks of bandits.

I quite like the Rome remaster's way of handling revolts (building watchtowers reduces and eventually eliminates risk of random bandits popping up), but if revolts are gonna be part of the game then I think I prefer them as they are right now (rarer, more substantial, more/less frequent depending on a region's historical rebelliousness) to how they used to be (puny, frequent, random).

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    re: the new revolts - generally my experience seems to be (80 turns in) that there's fewer revolts than in 2.35 but they're more substantial and I find myself fighting more of those battles in 2.35A rather than just autoresolving random three/four-unit-stacks of bandits.

I quite like the Rome remaster's way of handling revolts (building watchtowers reduces and eventually eliminates risk of random bandits popping up), but if revolts are gonna be part of the game then I think I prefer them as they are right now (rarer, more substantial, more/less frequent depending on a region's historical rebelliousness) to how they used to be (puny, frequent, random).
    Yes, which is the intent. The presence of a proper commander makes a big difference as well, meaning they don't fold after the first few moments of combat, and that they have proper AI for campaign movement.

Less whack a mole that you just autoresolve. The compositions should also give you a flavour of what is local/nearby as well.

I love the new updated phalanxes they are a lot more useful now! and as enemies they feel menasing!

Some units still need some revisiting. Fatagai Rasma (Sarmatian Bodyguard) still has arrows sticking out of their right elbows. Venetian cavalry still has wonky chainmail textures on their cuirasses and shirts. Havent checked them but Machimoi skirmishers probably suffer from the same texture problems still then too. Also some of the new unit descriptions, for example for Bosporan Hippeis, or the late Lugian elite swordsmen, needs some fixing too, reads like it was done by google translate in parts.

Spoiler for Pics of the issues

Last edited by Marvzilla; April 08, 2021 at 10:09 PM.

Should I assume from how quiet everyone has gone that with the fix-patch we're now at something stable?

redin5ide.82's Avatar Foederatus

Yes, for me at least!