Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A released!

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Can confirm that the Epeirote Aikiadai reforms are working as intended (although before a blank text box appears prior to the actual text box once the requirements are met).

Although I don't know why Epieros are restricted to only one Basiliki Patris, in Ambrakia. Surely you should be able to build one more in Syrakousai or Pella?
    Thanks for that. Entirely your call if you follow on with the Federalisation Reform - it's a sideways evolution, rather than "better" than the Centralisation one you've completed.

I'll check. EDIT: Historian agrees with you, those two will be added as valid locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    As others have said already, I also have that problem.
    Yep, everyone does. I forgot the new map_regions. Just waiting out any other things like this before I issue Release 2 which should be it for now.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 13, 2021 at 01:09 PM.

redin5ide.82's Avatar Foederatus

Hi guys! Any ETA on R2? Don't wanna make pression tho! Just every turn I care more for the health of Pergamon than for that of my faction

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Can confirm that the Epeirote Aikiadai reforms are working as intended (although before a blank text box appears prior to the actual text box once the requirements are met).

Although I don't know why Epieros are restricted to only one Basiliki Patris, in Ambrakia. Surely you should be able to build one more in Syrakousai or Pella?
    How many turns did it take to reach the reforms? Was just reading the player guide last night and they seemed to somewhat "force" the player to expand quickly and wide.

Quote Originally Posted by redin5ide.82 View Post
    Hi guys! Any ETA on R2? Don't wanna make pression tho! Just every turn I care more for the health of Pergamon than for that of my faction
    Maybe the weekend, but I don't want to make any promises yet. I'm keeping a weather eye on anything that needs fixing from people's first runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    How many turns did it take to reach the reforms? Was just reading the player guide last night and they seemed to somewhat "force" the player to expand quickly and wide.
    Megale Hellas should be an area of interest to you as Epeiros anyway, the point is that it pulls you westward, not east/south.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    (...)
    Megale Hellas should be an area of interest to you as Epeiros anyway, the point is that it pulls you westward, not east/south.
    I was not making an issue of expanding westwards. Note that I'm not playing Epiros, just read the requirements for the reforms.

You know the requirements for the Aiakidai reforms, of course, "Eliminate Gonatas", "Own 5 Settlements including Ambrakia, Pella and Sparte" as well as "controlling all settlements in Sicily". This for the ability of unlocking the Elite recruitment/highest goverment in Ambrakia (now with additional two locations considering your above edit).

The root of my question was that by needing so many settlements, and far appart, the player would seek to move fast and expand quickly in Greece. Because I my oppinion it would make it far easier to the player to take out both KH and Makedon right at the start, cleaning the backward so to would say, before going for Sicily without being worried with stabers in the back. The incentive for doing so is also greater since the player will most likely not want to face both these factions (w/elites) without access to recruit able elite troops themselves.

The Federalization path seems "easier" in comparison (by player guide) when you only need 3 settlements in Epiros, Ilyria Hellenike and Aitolia. Also a question, is the Sympoliteia Apeirotan limited similar to Basilike Patris, for example, one or can you build in all three settlements? From reading the guide, besides a roleplaying effort, the incentive for the Federalization is obtaining 3 locations for Sympoliteia Apeirotan at the cost of losing the “colonist” option.
    But by your previous edit, wouldn’t adding of Pella and Syrakousai negate this?

Taking into account that you will now consider two additional locations for the Basilike Patris (sorry, wasn't clear to if this means you can now construct more than one with this reform), why not consider having a two phased reform for future versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    I'm a bit past them now so I can't for the life of me remember, but after blitzing Makedon/KH extremely quickly, I took Epidamnos and built up a bit before going after Sicily. Might have been within the first 15 - 20 years?

I didn't feel too pushed to expand though, all you really miss is elites and siege weaponry pre-reforms. Only reason I went after Sicily so soon was to get the reforms while Phyrrus was alive (naturally he died outside the walls of Syrakousai).

Hi,
    two questions if I may.
    First, In my Pritanoi game I only got one extra cavalry unit after the kingdom reform. Is that WAD?
    Second, in my KH game I never got settlers. In the guide subforum it seems to indicate that at some point I will get the third metropolis either in Rhodos or in Sparte? Is that correct. For obvious reasons I don't want to conquer Pergamon

By the way, this mod is great. All the info, all this artwork and all the rest. Impressive.
    Have you guys ever thought about more ahistorical scenarios like the Pritanoi or Sweboz civilizing or something?
    Last edited by bismarck 1899; April 13, 2021 at 05:00 PM.

KH can't colonise. They don't get colonists, which is why their governments are available in so many places, giving locals in a broader swathe than most other factions. That's also why their government buildings convert to Hellenistic Polities.

You can, however, upgrade existing polis buildings. That doesn't require settlers.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    KH can't colonise. They don't get colonists, which is why their governments are available in so many places, giving locals in a broader swathe than most other factions. That's also why their government buildings convert to Hellenistic Polities.

You can, however, upgrade existing polis buildings. That doesn't require settlers.

uff... just saw that you have to build a market to upgrade... I'm an idiot!

I got A message I am king of Pergamon now and Sardis gives me High tier government building lol
    Last edited by bordinis; April 14, 2021 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks for coming up with a patch in these difficult times.

Now I really have to complete my 2.35 SPQR campaign
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

Wait a minute, there'll be a "R2" patch coming very soon? Well, will wait for the hotfix then. However, on the subject of "house rules", I need some confirmation before applying it to my playthrough. Does the AI ever turn off guard mode for its phalanxes? I love an offensive pike wall, but if the ai can't turn off guard mode then...huh...I won't turn off mine when playing with phalangites.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Wait a minute, there'll be a "R2" patch coming very soon? Well, will wait for the hotfix then. However, on the subject of "house rules", I need some confirmation before applying it to my playthrough. Does the AI ever turn off guard mode for its phalanxes? I love an offensive pike wall, but if the ai can't turn off guard mode then...huh...I won't turn off mine when playing with phalangites.
    It's not a hotfix, unfortunately. It will require a new campaign for the chances to take effect.

AI never toggles any of the modes, as far as I'm aware. That's why we set it to "on", because otherwise phalanxes would never do what they're supposed to.

Here are my thoughts after playing two campaigns (one AS one Epeiros) on H/M
    The new battle changes seem better, the ground terrain has changed making it smoother with less steep hills etc. which makes the ai take better positions. But what i see is if you move a single unit on the ai's flank (before engaging with the army) the ai moves their entire army just to face this unit (meaning they pay no attention to the rest of your army).
    Also, I’m not sure if it’s true or not but I feel like cavalry takes much longer to kill a broken unit and they just walk/run alongside the broken unit which is frustrating.

Campaign:
    As the Seleucids I thought the ptolemies were a bit harder to deal with due to the 3 spawned armies and lack of income (I’ll talk about that later). Only two of the armies came up to Syria koile and one at a time, making it easy to defeat them. One army went to Upper Egypt doing nothing while the other for some reason went to dedan (the ptolemies have a weird fixation with dedan, something I hadn’t seen in 2.35). Also they moved their capital to diospolis in the first few turns, leaving Alexandria and Memphis with a small garrison. The best change about the Seleucids is the satrapy system, mostly just for roleplaying purposes. I wish there was a mechanic for disloyal satraps that reduced movement to zero (can’t move him away from settlement) and decreased public order to the point of revolt.
    The economy:
    I think the economy reduction that the player gets is a bit too much. As the seleucids, after taking asia minor, Cyprus, Syria koile, petra I barely made 2-3k a turn in this patch (when I’d make at least 5-7k last patch). It seems a bit ahistorical for me and makes expansion not worth it. The whole reason of controlling Syria koile was income and trade from the coastal cities but I barely saw any income difference. Plus, the seleucids were known for having money (antiochos supplied Pyrrhus with funds apparently and agis said that seleucus kallinikos’ servants have more money than Spartan kings if im not mistaken). Most of it went to the army, not to corruption. Maybe make settlements require more troops to increase happiness, so the player will spend more money on garrisons that will reduce player income.

The raids:

Again, not the biggest fan of the 8 unit random spawn stacks. It is not threatening or difficult to deal with imo, but it’s really annoying more than anything. Fighting the same battle every time becomes a chore and the autoresolve is sketchy. As the seleucids you know get: Pisidian raids (already fought them 4-5 times in 60 turns), Arab raids in Syria Koile, Arab raids in Mesopotamia, Upper satrapy raids, random 8 stack spawn revolts (which will happen every few turns because you have a lot of settlements and I’m not sure what they represent). I’d rather have less revolts but stronger than many little revolts. Maybe scripted revolts on particular turns. Or something tied to the authority of the king.

The ai:

I haven’t seen much difference in ai v ai aggression. The romans still don’t go for rhegion, messana hasn’t been taken in 70 turns etc. But I see more aggression against the player, which is kind of fun, but at times stupid. Eg. I (seleucids) am at war with the ptolemies (who also fight the Carthaginians) and the Carthaginians declare war on me one turn after I declared war on the ptolemies. You’d think that we would want to cooperate to fight them but no.

With R2 coming in, is there enough time to play a full campaign? Like hundreds of turns, going-to-be-fully-invested-in campaign? Chafing at the bit here to play Makedonia already...

Is there a map somewhere of which provinces can have which level Hellenic polis/colony?

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Out of curiosity, do you guys have an ETA on the changelog?

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemaiosVI View Post
    Here are my thoughts after playing two campaigns (one AS one Epeiros) on H/M
    The new battle changes seem better, the ground terrain has changed making it smoother with less steep hills etc. which makes the ai take better positions. But what i see is if you move a single unit on the ai's flank (before engaging with the army) the ai moves their entire army just to face this unit (meaning they pay no attention to the rest of your army).
    Also, I’m not sure if it’s true or not but I feel like cavalry takes much longer to kill a broken unit and they just walk/run alongside the broken unit which is frustrating.

Campaign:
    As the Seleucids I thought the ptolemies were a bit harder to deal with due to the 3 spawned armies and lack of income (I’ll talk about that later). Only two of the armies came up to Syria koile and one at a time, making it easy to defeat them. One army went to Upper Egypt doing nothing while the other for some reason went to dedan (the ptolemies have a weird fixation with dedan, something I hadn’t seen in 2.35). Also they moved their capital to diospolis in the first few turns, leaving Alexandria and Memphis with a small garrison. The best change about the Seleucids is the satrapy system, mostly just for roleplaying purposes. I wish there was a mechanic for disloyal satraps that reduced movement to zero (can’t move him away from settlement) and decreased public order to the point of revolt.
    The economy:
    I think the economy reduction that the player gets is a bit too much. As the seleucids, after taking asia minor, Cyprus, Syria koile, petra I barely made 2-3k a turn in this patch (when I’d make at least 5-7k last patch). It seems a bit ahistorical for me and makes expansion not worth it. The whole reason of controlling Syria koile was income and trade from the coastal cities but I barely saw any income difference. Plus, the seleucids were known for having money (antiochos supplied Pyrrhus with funds apparently and agis said that seleucus kallinikos’ servants have more money than Spartan kings if im not mistaken). Most of it went to the army, not to corruption. Maybe make settlements require more troops to increase happiness, so the player will spend more money on garrisons that will reduce player income.

The raids:

Again, not the biggest fan of the 8 unit random spawn stacks. It is not threatening or difficult to deal with imo, but it’s really annoying more than anything. Fighting the same battle every time becomes a chore and the autoresolve is sketchy. As the seleucids you know get: Pisidian raids (already fought them 4-5 times in 60 turns), Arab raids in Syria Koile, Arab raids in Mesopotamia, Upper satrapy raids, random 8 stack spawn revolts (which will happen every few turns because you have a lot of settlements and I’m not sure what they represent). I’d rather have less revolts but stronger than many little revolts. Maybe scripted revolts on particular turns. Or something tied to the authority of the king.

The ai:

I haven’t seen much difference in ai v ai aggression. The romans still don’t go for rhegion, messana hasn’t been taken in 70 turns etc. But I see more aggression against the player, which is kind of fun, but at times stupid. Eg. I (seleucids) am at war with the ptolemies (who also fight the Carthaginians) and the Carthaginians declare war on me one turn after I declared war on the ptolemies. You’d think that we would want to cooperate to fight them but no.
    I'm going to have to respond to this when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    With R2 coming in, is there enough time to play a full campaign? Like hundreds of turns, going-to-be-fully-invested-in campaign? Chafing at the bit here to play Makedonia already...
    Not likely a hundreds-of-turns campaign, no. Try a faction you've never played before and feed back what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    Is there a map somewhere of which provinces can have which level Hellenic polis/colony?
    No, no one has made one.

Quote Originally Posted by postm00v View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you guys have an ETA on the changelog?
    I'm not even going to attempt to update the changelog thread until R2 has gone.

Hello. Thanks for keeping up this great work ! My MTW2 (running through steam) folder is installed in a separated drive, not into Program Files or Program Files(x86) nor into my steam folder, as per the original instructions. However there is already another game/mod installed in this MTW2 folder (MTW2/mod/XXX). I am afraid it may conflict with EBII if I install EBII in the same MTW2/mod folder. Could you please let me know, 1/ if the 2 games may indeed conflict with each other, 2/ and in case, where and how should I install EBII to run properly ?

redin5ide.82's Avatar Foederatus

EBII is completely modfolder, so it can be installed togheter with other mods for MedII inside "mods' because every mods has its own folder. I have EBII with others 6 or 7 mods .... Maybe you had the same problem I had with steam. For me new patch 2.35A only works when installed inside Program Folder ×86 and not outside (as per instruction).