Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A released!

We had to remove the 0AD music at the request of the owners of the IP.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Brigantion begins with no garrison.

Mister Apulo here seems to be placed in the wrong coordinates.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The settlement can be taken in the first turn by the lusitanian.

That's...not where it was before. Will have to move Apulo.

Latest changes in patches and Ptolemaioi playthrough had made me truly realize the influence good generals have on battles. For most factions, you either have a half-decent general or an army at the start. Later in campaign it also wouldn't matter as much since you have plenty of opportunities to get at least a 2 star veteran general, which is more than enough to hold the line and win against against enemy captain led stacks. But at the start as Ptolemaioi, you literally don't have a single general with more than 1 command star, yet you have plenty of enemies of enemies with more, and they have actually decent armies, for example, Seleukids near Akko is a pretty tough fight early on even if you use 2 full stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    Also my dislike is always with every mod i Play is that moders not giving armour-piercing for all the axemen, sica, scythes for units. For example those "basternai draugai" look like a cool unit and judging by description they and weapon they use they should have " fast moving " and armour-piercing lol. Anyway EB 2 was always weird on those regards.
    In EBII, all units with clubs, falxes, rhompaias, axes, sica swords and kopis have AP, but you usually don't see it because ingame, AP is only shown if the primary weapon has it, which is usually some kind of ranged weapon in those units. You can only see the AP attribute in recruitment viewer.
    The only exceptions are units that should have mix of different swords-most notably most Iberian units, who should have mix of straight swords and falcatas. So while the falcata is functionally identical to kopis and thus should have AP, the units don't have it because other swords should be prevalent.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Congrats on the new release
    Really glad to hear, that Seleukid campaign is harder/more interesting. I wish I have a more free time. Maybe in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We had to remove the 0AD music at the request of the owners of the IP.
    I´m a little sad to read this, it's good music and it fits the EB well in my opinion.

Devs, as of now,the Sarmatians have a more "complete" roster than the Saka, correct? Also, it is just plain to me that they're better. Archery that is only a point below the Saka (if averaged) and such brilliant charging stats? Dang, what do the Saka have to offer that the Sarmatians don't?

Well not a lot of people know this but Saka are literally Scythian-Sarmato people the only difference is that Saka are migrated further East Sarmatians. Even their culture dances and clothes were the same. Especially take nortice of their hats and clothes. These are literally same people migrated further East in search for better suitable living conditions.
    Last edited by bordinis; April 13, 2021 at 03:51 AM.

Is it hard to write those ethnicities? and descriptions, I want to volunteer to write some since I noticed that in 3 years not a lot of them were written in EB 2. About the Ap it s good to know that those units have AP. I guess the scythian foot archers who have a secondary weapon as an axe is not an AP unit? Also how does the AP work in this mod? so if a unit has a attack of 3 that means he deals 1 damage through armour and another 2 goes to armour?

Yeah unit cards are really pretty this time arround. The only coplaints I have are the music for barbaric factions. It s still arround for so many years. I think something calmer and more composed than brrrrrr bzzzzzz bzzzzzzz bzzzzzz all the time would be better lol. Also my dislike is always with every mod i Play is that moders not giving armour-piercing for all the axemen, sica, scythes for units. For example those "basternai draugai" look like a cool unit and judging by description they and weapon they use they should have " fast moving " and armour-piercing lol. Anyway EB 2 was always weird on those regards.
    Is it hard to write those ethnicities? and descriptions, I want to volunteer to write some since I noticed that in 3 years not a lot of them were written in EB 2. About the Ap it s good to know that those units have AP. I guess the scythian foot archers who have a secondary weapon as an axe is not an AP unit? Also how does the AP work in this mod? so if a unit has a attack of 3 that means he deals 1 damage through armour and another 2 goes to armour?
    The "features" reported on the unit card are drivel. That's an engine issue, I have no idea why it chooses to read the stats and display what it does. Every unit with an axe or other heavy chopper has ap. Look at the actual stats in the EDU (or recruitment viewer), not what is reported on the unit card in-game.

Secondary weapons aren't reported on the unit card. The way AP works is that it halves the armour value of the unit being attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Latest changes in patches and Ptolemaioi playthrough had made me truly realize the influence good generals have on battles. For most factions, you either have a half-decent general or an army at the start. Later in campaign it also wouldn't matter as much since you have plenty of opportunities to get at least a 2 star veteran general, which is more than enough to hold the line and win against against enemy captain led stacks. But at the start as Ptolemaioi, you literally don't have a single general with more than 1 command star, yet you have plenty of enemies of enemies with more, and they have actually decent armies, for example, Seleukids near Akko is a pretty tough fight early on even if you use 2 full stacks.
    There are a series of spawned armies to make the Syrian Wars more lively than leaving it entirely to the CAI. That applies to both the player of the Ptolemaioi and Seleukids. Akko is the first place that triggers them, which is why it's a tough fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Devs, as of now,the Sarmatians have a more "complete" roster than the Saka, correct? Also, it is just plain to me that they're better. Archery that is only a point below the Saka (if averaged) and such brilliant charging stats? Dang, what do the Saka have to offer that the Sarmatians don't?
    More of the western steppe units are done than the eastern steppe regionals, so you could perhaps say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    So while the falcata is functionally identical to kopis and thus should have AP, the units don't have it because other swords should be prevalent.
    Thinking that the falcata is functionally identical to kopis is a very common mistake, buy actually they were very different weapons. Unlike the sabres and stright swords, the blade of the falcata has the unique feature of having a main edge in combination with a secondary dorsal edge. In turn, the main edge, which has a profile in the shape of an inverted "S", has a concave edge near the hilt and a convex one near the point. So, unlike the prototype of the falcata, the machaira (or kopis), a sword which only has an edge on the convex part of its blade, the falcata has a main edge along the entire lenght of its blade. This feature distributes the weight in such a way that the falcata is benefited from the addition of weight in the part of the blade used for cutting but without unbalancing the center of gravity and optimizing the power of the blow. In regard to the secondary dorsal blade of the falcata, it should be noted that, unlike most sabres, it has a supplementary edge that covers a third of its blade, in the part of the point. This feature gives the falcata a double-edged point that enables this sword to execute attacks in the form of thrusts, which makes this weapon a cut and thrust sword in spite of the big wide of its blade. At the same time, the features of the blade of the falcata also allows it to make the cutting blow of a typical sabre, as well as, a secondary cutting blow taking advantage of the dorsal edge.

The falcta is also shorter than the kopis. The average lenght of the falcata with hilt measures about 60.2 cm while the average measure of the blade is about 48.9 cm, measuring the shortest one, from La Osera, 32.2 cm and the longest one, that was found in Cigarralejo, 61.2 cm, unlike in the case of the kopis and machaira, this fact made the falcata an inappropriate sword for horsemen, but a useful weapon for infantrymen, especially for fighting in close order. Seneca (De Benef. V, 24, 2) gathered an anecdote of Caesar's time that may refer to the efectiveness of the falcata although actually, due to the imprecision of the used military vocabulary, the existence of direct references to this sword in the written sources cannot be secured. According to the quote, some time after the battle of Munda, Caesar was not able to recognise one of his veterans due to his crippled features that according to him, had been the result of an attack suffered by an "Hispanic machaira" which was able to slit open both the veteran's helmet and part of his head.

In regard to the debate about the origin of the falcata, the most solid theory suggest that the most remote origin of this sword would have been in the curved knives of the Bronze Age from eastern Europe. It is probable that the first prototype of the machaira-kopis designed for war should be located in the Adriatic world, in places such as Epirus and Illyria. In the middle of the 6th century BC, the kopis appears in Etruria and in the 5th century BC it reaches Corsica, surely from Italy, and then, theoretically, the machaira with an Italian origin would have reached the Iberian coast without the intervention of Greek colonists, instead, it is more probable that Iberian mercenaries adopted this weapon during the early wars in Sicily, affected by Punic, Greek and Italic influences. It is in the Iberian Peninsula where the Italic machaira was transformed by the Iberians into a new weapon substantially different from the others. In summary, the hilt was modified, the blade was beautifully decorated through damascening in some cases and substantially shortened, finally, a counter-edge was added, obtaining a new cut and thrust sword. Surely, all these efforts not only reflect the desire of obtaining an efficient sword but also the existence of a symbolic valour associated to the falcata that allowed the Iberians to express their socio-political power, economic capacity, etc.

---

In regard to the gameplay, now we are revamping the Iberian swordsemen with caetra and I can confirm you that they will use 100% falcatas. Thing is that we could give AP to the falcatas of this unit but as far as I know, the weapons with AP such as the axes lose some attack points. For example while a short cut and thrust sword has 9 attack points, an axe with AP has 7 attack points. If we are going to give AP to the falcata I don't want to also give it 7 attack points because it would mean to understand the falcata as a common sabre and as I wrote above, that would be inaccurate. Due to its double-edge, the falcata is an exception to the rule, but in terms of gameplay, maybe having a sword with AP and 9 attack points would be OP. Actually, I have no idea since I don't know the technical part of the mod.
    Last edited by Trarco; April 13, 2021 at 04:14 AM.

Gameplay wise the spearmen should have slight bonus damage against cavalry and bigger defence skill than sword infantry. Sword infantry should be the best offensive units with higher attack than spearmen but lower defence skill. Levy spearmen should have proper "bonus against cavalry" since their are imediately useless once one starts campaign, so in that way moders would prolong their usage by players maybe unitil early mid-game. The axe and mace units should have an average attack in comparison to sword infantry and cav but they should be better than spear infantry. Slingers should be made into AP unit with low attack value, archers higher damage with no AP value. Sica's falcata's should be maybe the same as Axe and mace units but again that determines their function and the attack animation so if they are a javelin unit like Peltenai and have AP attack afterwards, moders should balance that with other units of the game. Also charge-lancer cavalry should not have AP upon their charge since that way cavalry wrecks anyone from front wich is not a good thing for balance. Kataprachtoi should be good at charging from any side an infantry units. There will be units in the game that are better than others so if heavy cavalry are good and expensive that means that they should be! Pike infantry shoyuld be the best against cavalry so the highest bonus against them. Anyway this is self explanatory stuff lol. Jus logiccal solutions to balance and interest for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Brigantion begins with no garrison.

Mister Apulo here seems to be placed in the wrong coordinates.

The settlement can be taken in the first turn by the lusitanian.
    I just fired up the dev build, and it looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brig.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	364606

Something has gone wrong with your patching, the spawn is in the right place, but the settlement isn't. Your map_regions hasn't updated.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 13, 2021 at 04:54 AM.

Gameplay wise the spearmen should have slight bonus damage against cavalry and bigger defence skill than sword infantry. Sword infantry should be the best offensive units with higher attack than spearmen but lower defence skill. Levy spearmen should have proper "bonus against cavalry" since their are imediately useless once one starts campaign, so in that way moders would prolong their usage by players maybe unitil early mid-game. The axe and mace units should have an average attack in comparison to sword infantry and cav but they should be better than spear infantry. Slingers should be made into AP unit with low attack value, archers higher damage with no AP value. Sica's falcata's should be maybe the same as Axe and mace units but again that determines their function and the attack animation so if they are a javelin unit like Peltenai and have AP attack afterwards, moders should balance that with other units of the game. Also charge-lancer cavalry should not have AP upon their charge since that way cavalry wrecks anyone from front wich is not a good thing for balance. Kataprachtoi should be good at charging from any side an infantry units. There will be units in the game that are better than others so if heavy cavalry are good and expensive that means that they should be! Pike infantry shoyuld be the best against cavalry so the highest bonus against them. Anyway this is self explanatory stuff lol. Jus logiccal solutions to balance and interest for the game.
    They already do, they have the spear_bonus_x attribute. Again, read the EDU, not the unit card displayed in game.

Something has gone wrong with your patching, the spawn is in the right place, but the settlement isn't. Your map_regions hasn't updated.
    My map_regions.tga doesn't seem to have been updated either.

Looking at the files in the first patch I don't see that file either:

Quote Originally Posted by Electricity View Post
    My map_regions.tga doesn't seem to have been updated either.

Looking at the files in the first patch I don't see that file either:

Crap. That'll be in R2 as well.

I can confirm, same issue with Brigantion in my campaign (2.35A Patch FINAL R1)

Quote Originally Posted by Venetus View Post
    I can confirm, same issue with Brigantion in my campaign (2.35A Patch FINAL R1)
    Yep, it's an oversight on my part building the compilation. Fortunately that's the only settlement that moved since 2.35.

Can confirm that the Epeirote Aikiadai reforms are working as intended (although before a blank text box appears prior to the actual text box once the requirements are met).

Although I don't know why Epieros are restricted to only one Basiliki Patris, in Ambrakia. Surely you should be able to build one more in Syrakousai or Pella?

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

As others have said already, I also have that problem.