Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435363738394041424358 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R2 released!

Currently testing an increase of 2 points to all cavalry's javelin attack, and more ammo for skirmisher cavalry.

Thanks the heavens...javelin cavalry are a threat now (acting as ranged cavalry)!!

I remember posting this question a few years ago, but should the governor of Nikaia in Bithynia not be the sort of famous Nikomedes I? Even if you play as Pergamon he does not appear as the leader of one of the scripted rebel armies.

I must be missing something...

Ptolemaic campaign, turn 208. Thorakitai reforms hit a few turns ago and recruitment pools have been updated accordingly. But I can't recruit Kataphraktoi from Antiocheia. Got helcol_three, metropolis, Basilike Patris there, 70% hellenistic culture...recruitment viewer says I should be able to get them.

This maybe out dated but I remember playing a Makedonian campaign and having to go further east (Assyria IIRC) to get access to Kataphractoi, I think it needs the ressource "eastern" or something which isn't attributed to Antiocheia
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post

Ptolemaic campaign, turn 208. Thorakitai reforms hit a few turns ago and recruitment pools have been updated accordingly. But I can't recruit Kataphraktoi from Antiocheia. Got helcol_three, metropolis, Basilike Patris there, 70% hellenistic culture...recruitment viewer says I should be able to get them.
    You can only recruit them in the helcol_three/helcol_ref in places with the warhorses resource. You need an eastcol_three to recruit them in Antiocheia/Damaskos.

You can only recruit them in the helcol_three/helcol_ref in places with the warhorses resource. You need an eastcol_three to recruit them in Antiocheia/Damaskos.

Otherwise, you should get a point of them in the Basilike Patris with the reform.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post

Otherwise, you should get a point of them in the Basilike Patris with the reform.
    If I'm reading EDB right, only Seleucid and Baktrian BP gives Kataphraktoi.

Odd that RV tells me I need helcol_three or helcol_ref in Syria, not eastcol_three. A bug in RV, I suppose. It also gives all of the above mentioned as possibilities for Syria Koile.

If anyone remembers this submod, we're implementing a version of it in Release 3.

It's the thing that's taken a while to agree. Cavalry balance has changed in some important ways with this and the jav-cav boost.

Campidoctor

That's great, loved the idea of that submod and often thought of it though never got to use it in a campaign myself. Looking forward to seeing how it's implemented and plays out

Cavalry especially heavy cavalry were always too dominant in amy medieval game/mod. Not sure how the game is going to be balanced arround CAI and Auto-Resolve among AI factions though. How that is going to shape the world of EB2 balance on the map though..

Playing as Rome VH/VH. I have 40 regions now. Capital Roma( Never changed capital ) My corruption is 17 000 per turn and I get income 20 000 from corruption per turn. Meaning, I get +3000 from corruption a turn. Turn 403 Polybian Era.

Now testing the cavalry changes, which I hope to be the last thing to go into Release 3.

Now testing the cavalry changes, which I hope to be the last thing to go into Release 3.

Very curious to see the cav changes! Blocks of cavalry are often the decisive element in my battles so it would be interesting to see if I'll need to adjust my tactics and maybe develop some new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    Very curious to see the cav changes! Blocks of cavalry are often the decisive element in my battles so it would be interesting to see if I'll need to adjust my tactics and maybe develop some new ones.
    Depends on the factions you're used to playing and the units in particular you were using. Romans really need auxiliary cavalry now, their native units have only 60 troopers on Huge (equivalent to 600 men in real life - same as the entire cavalry contingent of a consular army). Same goes Greek cavalry, which are 70 or 80 men for the most part.

Skirmishers are a little more effective and no smaller, so they're more dangerous to other cavalry than they were. Though in all the tests foot skirmishers are still the most threatening thing to them. Eastern, African and steppe cavalry is largely unchanged, fighting nomads using only your Hellenistic units as the Seleukids is a losing proposition. They'll get overwhelmed.

To quote some immediate feedback:

Quote Originally Posted by realm56
    I did a series of quick tests and came up with the following:

• Size differences play a large part on who wins engagements (Medium cavalry will find it riskier to engage lighter cavalry without a clean charge + Nomadic and cavalry proficient sedentary factions fare better against those who lack cavalry traditions + Players may be more hesitant to throw away cav needlessly knowing that their now reduced numbers will count against them) as per Lancaster's Laws.
    • Cavalry bodyguards are a lot more viable when engaging regular cavalry units in most cases (Except nomads and most light cav which remains unchanged).
    • I suspect that factions that may be fighting nomads early campaign (Such as KB, Baktria and Getai) will find life more difficult and I suspect that the difficulties of several nomadic factions may go down thanks to these changes (Pahlava, Saka Rauka, Nabatu and Sauromatae especially...)
    • Some cavalry units become easier field due to their lower numbers, but make what you will the combat effectiveness that lower cost gives you (ie. Do you need the full 100 man unit to deliver the charge/melee staying power/ranged + melee damage you need and vice versa....)
    • Infantry cement their status as superior garrison units vs cavalry units for the purpose of maintaining PO although smaller cavalry should be sufficient if PO/security is a non-issue.
    • In some provinces that can recruit from multiple cultures, players will most likely make the choice between comparable units with superior numbers (From the more cavalry oriented culture) for better longevity and effectiveness on a tactical and strategic level or cost-effectiveness at the cost of some some strength on the tactical and strategic level.
    • Infantry become more useful in defending against cavalry due to their lower numbers in most cases.
    • The lower numbers can make certain cavalry units easier to micro but as previously established, at the cost of combat effectiveness.

Will the new version be uploaded today? It's like 100000 degrees Celsius here and I cannot do anything apart from a little gaming.

How are the numbers of "hybrid" cavalry, like skythohellenic Thureophorentes Hippotoxotai, determined?

To quote some immediate feedback:
    That's super interesting. The distinction between cavalry-focused factions and more settled infantry-focused factions being reflected in unit numbers is a really cool one, but if melee + shock cav are getting generally reduced numbers I'd want some manner of buff to their charge impact or individual-model survivability. It would be a shame if I felt forced to phase out medium cav because they suffer from too much attrition in melee.

But then, maybe that's addressed by the general melee lethality changes. I'll say that most of my cav losses have always come from chasing off enemy cav around the flanks, so maybe I'll need new tactics to deal with steppe factions specifically? Excited to try the new changes.

I like the ideas here, regardless. Faction diversity is generally a good thing to foster imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    Will the new version be uploaded today? It's like 100000 degrees Celsius here and I cannot do anything apart from a little gaming.
    Not today, no.

How are the numbers of "hybrid" cavalry, like skythohellenic Thureophorentes Hippotoxotai, determined?
    80 for them. Units have been considered individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    That's super interesting. The distinction between cavalry-focused factions and more settled infantry-focused factions being reflected in unit numbers is a really cool one, but if melee + shock cav are getting generally reduced numbers I'd want some manner of buff to their charge impact or individual-model survivability. It would be a shame if I felt forced to phase out medium cav because they suffer from too much attrition in melee.

But then, maybe that's addressed by the general melee lethality changes. I'll say that most of my cav losses have always come from chasing off enemy cav around the flanks, so maybe I'll need new tactics to deal with steppe factions specifically? Excited to try the new changes.

I like the ideas here, regardless. Faction diversity is generally a good thing to foster imo.
    Cavalry already got a charge buff with the increase in melee hit rates to 0.45. What medium cavalry have over the heaviest is durability because on average they have 10 more men. Some medium cavalry, like the Anatolian and Iranian mediums, are still full sized.