Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

My three cents.
    I prefer less movement points. More to say, I would like to play EB with 12-season rather than 4-season campaign (optional, like in DeI for R2). @Sarkiss showed good points. I also understand that EB team wanted to find compromise for realism and gameplay factors. Anyway, I'm enjoying my campaign in new version.

One thing I observed; maybe it is already known. After ceasefire, enemy army is still present in my territory. Being in war, I took enemy city in Sardegna. Enemy landed on island. I offer peace, they accepted, but their army after few turn is still near city I tooked from them, standing there.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

As the AI is programmed to deal with the vanilla game, and not mods, consider staying close to default values when possible.

For movement points, the vanilla value for characters is starting_action_points 80

I think the splendatoi (stone throwers) should be nerved a lot. Two of those units can kill a quarter of an army of princeps and hastati. It's completely of the charts. Archers on the other hand are almost useless.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    I think the splendatoi (stone throwers) should be nerved a lot. Two of those units can kill a quarter of an army of princeps and hastati. It's completely of the charts. Archers on the other hand are almost useless.
    Some historians have a fetish when it comes to slingers even ,so they often represent them as being ridiculous op.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Some historians have a fetish when it comes to slingers even ,so they often represent them as being ridiculous op.
    There are people out there who do some not so scientific tests, confuse momentum with kinetic energy either on purpose or because they dont know any better, then claim that a sling is basically a .44 Magnum.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...agnum-scotland

No, not any old sling with stone. A sling using a glande, which is a lead bullet. Only used by three units: Sphendonetai, the Balearic Slinger and the Skaplinai.

What do people think of the new, rewritten Foreign Colony pools (since 2.35)? Has anyone noticed any overlapping ones (giveaway will be massive recruitment available)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    As the AI is programmed to deal with the vanilla game, and not mods, consider staying close to default values when possible.

For movement points, the vanilla value for characters is starting_action_points 80
    Eh. The current settings do not seem to me to be a hindrance to the AI. Personally I've taken to changing all my installed mods to mirror EB II (250/750 for boats).

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, not any old sling with stone. A sling using a glande, which is a lead bullet. Only used by three units: Sphendonetai, the Balearic Slinger and the Skaplinai.
    I ran a little test: 3 late Hastati + 3 late princeps units vs 4 sphendonetai. The romans stood still while being hit and lost 1/6 (163). I get that special units like balearic slingers could be damaging but the spendonetai are so widespread. That even heavily armed units like princeps and fairly well armed units like hastati take such a beating is off. Furthermore, how is it possible that a slinger unit has apparently huge amounts of lead glandes at the ready. One unit of rural sheepherders has just enough money to buy 30 lead balls each? That's 3600 lead glandes per unit. Meaning around 100 kg of lead. So either these guys have a smelter at home, lots of money to waste or never used the lead glandes before therefore receiving them before battle from the ammunition guy, I guess. Are we to believe that ancient field armies were just carrying around tons of lead to throw at people? Specialized units maybe, but not the Sphendonetai who can be recruited almost everywhere. It is ahistorically overpowered.

Ok, now I'm thinking about it a little more. One unit of 120 slingers would be around 10 times the number in an actual army. so two units would be around 2500 slingers. These guys could throw one lead bullet every 10 seconds? So for just shooting 10 minutes would mean 3 tons of lead. Battles often took hours. That would mean maybe 10+ tons of lead for a single battle, if you would actually want them to shoot for half an hour. If you had to retreat or could not scavenge the battlefield you had to make another 10+ tons of lead glandes for the next battle. Again for specialized units like high class balearic slingers maybe but not for a bunch of sheepherders.
    Last edited by bismarck 1899; August 20, 2021 at 03:08 AM.

I agree, I doubt that greek sheepherders were using lead bullets as part of their daily lives, which is what the sphendonetai unit sort of represents (a levy of peasants). However I can imagine the skaplinai, rhodian slingers, those recorded by xenophon on the anabasis, to be using a more professional grade sling and then have lead bullets cast as part of that. I would prefer to see two kind of slingers, the levy ones who use rocks and are very widespread, and a more professional type which is much more restricted geographically but could use the glandes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I agree, I doubt that greek sheepherders were using lead bullets as part of their daily lives, which is what the sphendonetai unit sort of represents (a levy of peasants). However I can imagine the skaplinai, rhodian slingers, those recorded by xenophon on the anabasis, to be using a more professional grade sling and then have lead bullets cast as part of that. I would prefer to see two kind of slingers, the levy ones who use rocks and are very widespread, and a more professional type which is much more restricted geographically but could use the glandes.
    Sorry, I was wrong, there's one more that uses the glande: the Corso-Ligurian Slinger. As for your proposed dichotomy, the only unit that doesn't fit one of those two categories is the Greek Slinger. All three of the other glande-users are professional slingers.

Stones would be a better fit for the greek/hellenistic slingers, yes.

What are the best facions to play with the new update? Who has exciting changes? i haven't played in over a year but i'm unemployed again so looking to sink my teeth in!

Quote Originally Posted by jvasss View Post
    What are the best facions to play with the new update? Who has exciting changes? i haven't played in over a year but i'm unemployed again so looking to sink my teeth in!
    Epeiros has an entirely new government tree and two unique reforms.

Makedonia's full government options are now hidden behind the Imperial Reforms which require control of Pella, Ipsos, and Antiochea. There's also an "Easter Egg" that's unlocked by controlling Babylonia in addition to the Imperial Reform settlements.

All the new units are spread somewhat evenly across the map, but the three Germanic factions (Sweboz, Lugia, Boii) are situated close to the new Pomerian unit pool.

I can't build roads in Iykoshim as Carthage.

Because it turns out that, to build roads, I need at minimum an Allied Colony. Supervised Administration & a Large Trade Colony just won't cut it apparently.

(and also because TWC won't let me delete this post that I made a question & then found the answer to)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roads.jpg  
    Last edited by Ivir Baggins; August 28, 2021 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivir Baggins View Post
    I can't build roads in Iykoshim as Carthage.

Because it turns out that, to build roads, I need at minimum an Allied Colony. Supervised Administration & a Large Trade Colony just won't cut it apparently.

(and also because TWC won't let me delete this post that I made a question & then found the answer to)
    You're past turn 140, which means you can now try to achieve the Barcid Reforms, which unlocks higher level governments that allow construction of nearly everything. Please
    consult the player guide to learn how to achieve the Barcid Reforms. BTW, you also get some REALLY nice troops post-reform

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    You're past turn 140, which means you can now try to achieve the Barcid Reforms, which unlocks higher level governments that allow construction of nearly everything. Please
    consult the player guide to learn how to achieve the Barcid Reforms. BTW, you also get some REALLY nice troops post-reform
    Time to go beat up the Romans, and also find where the hell the Potential Successor ancillary went so I can chuck that on a Barcid.

Does said Barcid have to be both Faction Leader and Rab Mahnet, or is just one OK?

Also, is there a fallback condition for if the Romans are defeated in under 6 Major Land Battles (I'm assuming that's the standard case of a manual battle against an enemy stack of at least 11 units)? It's looking awfully sparse in Italy.
    Last edited by Ivir Baggins; August 29, 2021 at 01:52 AM.

Time to go beat up the Romans, and also find where the hell the Potential Successor ancillary went so I can chuck that on a Barcid.

Does said Barcid have to be both Faction Leader and Rab Mahnet, or is just one OK?

Also, is there a fallback condition for if the Romans are defeated in under 6 Major Land Battles (I'm assuming that's the standard case of a manual battle against an enemy stack of at least 11 units)? It's looking awfully sparse in Italy.
    As far as I can tell:

• A Barcid must be both the faction leader AND Rab Mahnet
    • There is fallback for the reforms, just wipe the Romans out and sow salt on the ruins of Rome .
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Usually, the potential successor ancillary is with your Faction Leader.

There is a fallback condition based on the number of turns passed, not whether the Romans have been destroyed or not.