Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R2 released!

moisesjns, how do I apply your changes to my campaign? What were the general movement points before?

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    moisesjns, how do I apply your changes to my campaign? What were the general movement points before?
    [Submod] Enhanced Campaign Movement for EBII 2.35A R2

Alright. Since R2 seems to be, for now, stable version, I've put it up on Google Drive. It's 2.35A fully patched, so you need only 2.35.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wYv...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Alright. Since R2 seems to be, for now, stable version, I've put it up on Google Drive. It's 2.35A fully patched, so you need only 2.35.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wYv...ew?usp=sharing
    It is relatively stable, but I think I found a potential game-breaking error in the script in the Alan Invasions (which happen around turn 400-and-something). There's been all sorts of tinkering the last couple of weeks, so may end up issuing a Release 3 after all.

Which will also turn the kill rate down to 0.45. And also downgrade the traits of all the Rebel spawns so they have at most one star and don't gain them the way the AI factions do. I think that might be scaring them off later on.

Dang...a release 3? Will I have to setback my super-invested playthrough even further? Urghh EB2 really tests your patience...

Did a lot of tinkering in the descr_strat to give faction generals across the board more personality traits to make them...uhmm...more unique. I really, really hope that R3 has an untouched descr_strat.

Campidoctor

It's not save compatible, and default movement for captains/FMs is 124/125.

Dang...a release 3? Will I have to setback my super-invested playthrough even further? Urghh EB2 really tests your patience...
    EBII releases are like buses, you wait years for one then three show up at once.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It is relatively stable, but I think I found a potential game-breaking error in the script in the Alan Invasions (which happen around turn 400-and-something). There's been all sorts of tinkering the last couple of weeks, so may end up issuing a Release 3 after all.

Which will also turn the kill rate down to 0.45. And also downgrade the traits of all the Rebel spawns so they have at most one star and don't gain them the way the AI factions do. I think that might be scaring them off later on.
    I m at turn 680 nothing game breaking happened. Which factions are suppoosed to be suffering from Alan invasion script?

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    I m at turn 680 nothing game breaking happened. Which factions are suppoosed to be suffering from Alan invasion script?
    It's not factional, it's universal. I guess that particular error isn't game-breaking then, the game may have ignored the bugged spawn.

In this particular version I did not had any crashes so far lol I had many previously, not even battle crashes. So it s very stable. Is there any particular reason you guys did only 1 night fighter unit per 25 turns? They don t seem like they were nobles and you did change "mekidraugai" to be more populous and 2 to recruit per settlement. 1 settlement 1 unit per 25 turns might be a bit harsh especially to consider they did not seem to be nobles like for exmaple Thrakian Rompaiai..
    So my point is, is there a consensus within the team to make these really really rare and coming late into the campaign units to be more available? like you know make a night fighter unit recruitment pool larger, like 2 or 3 untis to recruit within Lugidunon? Or for example those awessome Langobards to make like also 2 per settlement to recruit? It won t kill historical accuracy you know..
    Edit : also the new roman Marian legio unit has a very "white" unit card as opposed to skin colour. Looks weird
    Last edited by bordinis; May 03, 2021 at 11:47 AM.

I'm at ~150 turns in both a Roman and an Epeirote game. This is my first time playing EB since RTW/EB 1. A big thank you to the team, this is an amazing mod and has clearly come a long way since the old days. I don't think I've ever played as deep of a simulation of the period in any other game as this (kudos!).

First things first, I think there may be some Roman bugs around the provincia buildings in general (in some provinces outside of Italy, like Bononia and Medionalum and Messina, I can only build the free city, but in other provinces like Liguria and Lilybaeum, I can build the provincia. I even tried deleting the free city and building the pacification again, but no luck).

In the Balearic island province in particular, I get 2 identical options to build a provincia building. As far as I can tell they're identical (I ended up taking the first one, which caused the duplicate to disappear as an option from the queue) but still strange to see 2 of them in the queue.

For the starting game, it feels a little too easy to recruit Roman troops outside of Rome. Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive because I tried a roleplaying run, but it's a little immersion breaking to get even enough triarii and equites to fill out my legions and never need to recruit in Rome. I find myself using 2 cities splitting the job to raise 1 proper legion (2 H, 1 P, 1 T, 1 E) but I had to resort to recruiting in Rome only a few times for the odds triarii, and maybe one whole time for the cavalry.

For the Polybian reform Romans, the Italian soci infantry spawn in the pool much slower than the hastati, principes, etc, so it takes a lot of waiting if you want to roleplay, and you could pump out probably 4 legions in Rome before you have enough soci to fill out 1 legion's contingent. I only gave Latin rights to Capua, so I have those 2 cities for legions and the other 4 Italian for soci and still need to wait ~10 turns to properly fill out my legions with allies. I also think there's something weird in Ariminum specifically. I only have the option to recruit the extraordinary infantry unit, not the regular, which probably doesn't help the shortage.

The cursus honorum is hard to keep managing, and it's a whole other game just to groom characters, with the end result that I leave most to rot in Rome (where they get elected consul at age 50 with 0 military experience just because they've been in Rome so long and swooped up the offices. I tend to end up with a lot of man children in the family as a result....) and focus on about 4 that I use to fight. I know the pro-former office trait is not supposed to last forever, but I've found it hard to time exactly when imperium from carried over offices expires, to the point where I'm sometimes sieging one turn and don't realize the main general's imperium will go away next turn. Now I carry 2-3 of the useless guys (but with imperium!) in every stack just in case, but a timer (imperium expires in X turns) or a heads up (imperium expires next turn) would be good, if at all possible. On the bright side, now I know why it was so important for Caesar to get a 5 year term as governor! 1 year is just too short to do anything after you've expanded outside of Italy. I only now figured out with Sicily that governors also get imperium (I avoided making provinces for a long time), so it should hopefully help.

For Epirus: The starting situation was a real shock to me, compared to EB1. I was really fighting for my life in the first ~30-40 turns. It's much harder than it was in EB1, where you at least had a turn or 2 to either face the Macedonians or the Romans and it was your choice. I don't mind though, I like the extra history and difficulty, but the rating might need a little adjusting up, because it's definitely not just average "challenging" (or I just suck at playing!).

I found it a bit hard that the expansion regions aren't as clearly laid out in the in-game map as EB1, so it took a bit of guessing to find out where I can get good troops, but even then, the troops aren't necessarily that good. It's surprisingly difficult to build/find enough infrastructure to be able to recruit regular phalangites (which according to the description, should be the bulk of my army). I conquered all of Greece+Macedonia+Egypt+Sicily+Italy and by the time I hit the first Hellenic reform, I had some access to levy phalanxes, and ironically, by the second reform (which tells me I should be phasing out my phalanxes), is when I *sort of* have 4-5 cities where I can recruit 1 or 2 units worth of regular ordinary phalangites. The swordsmen and spearmen which are supposed to be reform units are available in way too large quantities already after the first reform and form the bulk of my army (so I have no incentive to build the land reforms to make more of them). The second reform was a little surprising with what it kept and what it got rid of. The X-named lancers for example, were a really good unit that I would've expected to stay, but they were gone, while the hemi-"classical Greek peltasts" whose description makes them sound like I shouldn't be using them already from the beginning, only go away after the 2nd reform, when it sounds like they outstayed ther welcome even after the first one. I also find that I can only recruit the agema cavalry in Ambrakia (which is fine, the description says it should be rare), but I can recruit all of the other elites in Pella and Syrakousai. I'm not sure if that's working as designed.

Oh, the rebels are also a bit strange in both. The stacks are *ok* if you manually play every battle, but with the command stars they get, you need to bring either a great general or much bigger numbers to take them out on auto-resolve. Sometimes I've let them pillage for years just because I'm busy fighting a faction and can't risk equal numbers. They also spawn very strangely. I know the code was changed recently with some kind of cooldown, but I've noticed they spawn about 75% of the time, right after you take the settlement, especially from the non-faction rebels. Feels a bit strange that a relatively big stack of rebels with a great general pops up just after I've beaten down the rebels in town, but at least my army just took the town, so they're nearby to go after them. If they'd waited 2 turns after I took the settlement to pop up, they'd probably just find a skeleton garrison though....

Campidoctor

I found it a bit hard that the expansion regions aren't as clearly laid out in the in-game map as EB1, so it took a bit of guessing to find out where I can get good troops
    I believe there is a "recruitment viewer" or something like that included in the mod folder, it's a great tool, check it out for a good look at what you can get where.

Thanks! Good catch, that is helpful.

Also, as a followup to the above, I forgot to mention but speaking of the Baleares...the main settlement is on Ibiza and Mallorca is empty. This causes the annoyance of a single rebel stack constantly spawning on Mallorca that pillages the prosperity of the province but needs a dedicated navy nearby just in case it shows up, and also UI problems if say you're Rome fighting Carthage and you're sieging/being sieged. With the under siege addition to the city graphic, it becomes super fiddly to even disembark any unit on Ibiza (since it's such a small island) to fight the siege. Is there any chance of moving the settlement to the main island? I know there's probably good historical reasons for Ibiza, but gameplay wise it's annoying to try and hover the mouse around to not click on the siege lines to disembark.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor1234 View Post
    For Epirus: The starting situation was a real shock to me, compared to EB1. I was really fighting for my life in the first ~30-40 turns. It's much harder than it was in EB1, where you at least had a turn or 2 to either face the Macedonians or the Romans and it was your choice. I don't mind though, I like the extra history and difficulty, but the rating might need a little adjusting up, because it's definitely not just average "challenging" (or I just suck at playing!).

I found it a bit hard that the expansion regions aren't as clearly laid out in the in-game map as EB1, so it took a bit of guessing to find out where I can get good troops, but even then, the troops aren't necessarily that good. It's surprisingly difficult to build/find enough infrastructure to be able to recruit regular phalangites (which according to the description, should be the bulk of my army). I conquered all of Greece+Macedonia+Egypt+Sicily+Italy and by the time I hit the first Hellenic reform, I had some access to levy phalanxes, and ironically, by the second reform (which tells me I should be phasing out my phalanxes), is when I *sort of* have 4-5 cities where I can recruit 1 or 2 units worth of regular ordinary phalangites. The swordsmen and spearmen which are supposed to be reform units are available in way too large quantities already after the first reform and form the bulk of my army (so I have no incentive to build the land reforms to make more of them). The second reform was a little surprising with what it kept and what it got rid of. The X-named lancers for example, were a really good unit that I would've expected to stay, but they were gone, while the hemi-"classical Greek peltasts" whose description makes them sound like I shouldn't be using them already from the beginning, only go away after the 2nd reform, when it sounds like they outstayed ther welcome even after the first one. I also find that I can only recruit the agema cavalry in Ambrakia (which is fine, the description says it should be rare), but I can recruit all of the other elites in Pella and Syrakousai. I'm not sure if that's working as designed.
    EBII isn't EB1, nor is it trying to be. I say this because the mechanics work differently. There are no "expansion regions", because government buildings aren't the main source of recruitment for Hellenistic factions, the polis and colonies are.

The reason you were struggling for regular Phalangitai is because you weren't building Hellenistic Colonies, which is where they come from. Same goes for other professional units, they come from colonies, not from your governments. It sounds like you were relying entirely on the polis for recruitment, and they're not at the cutting edge of warfare, which is why the Hemithorakitai persisted longer.

The Molossians only come from Epirus proper, that's intended. There should be other elite cavalry instead in those other two locations.

I'd highly recommend reading the Player's Guide on how the colonisation mechanics and reforms for the faction work.

Oh, the rebels are also a bit strange in both. The stacks are *ok* if you manually play every battle, but with the command stars they get, you need to bring either a great general or much bigger numbers to take them out on auto-resolve. Sometimes I've let them pillage for years just because I'm busy fighting a faction and can't risk equal numbers. They also spawn very strangely. I know the code was changed recently with some kind of cooldown, but I've noticed they spawn about 75% of the time, right after you take the settlement, especially from the non-faction rebels. Feels a bit strange that a relatively big stack of rebels with a great general pops up just after I've beaten down the rebels in town, but at least my army just took the town, so they're nearby to go after them. If they'd waited 2 turns after I took the settlement to pop up, they'd probably just find a skeleton garrison though....
    They spawn with 3 Command stars, but if you leave them, they tend to get more if they win battles against the AI. That will be rectified in a later release, because it wasn't intended that they end up the best commanders on the map.

The spawns themselves are random. It's a relatively simple script that doesn't check ownership or settlements changing hands, so I can only suggest what you're observing is a coincidence. They're also not big stacks, the largest ones are only 8 units. Unless what you're encountering are consolidating stacks who've been hiding or wandering around.

Thanks! Good catch, that is helpful.

Also, as a followup to the above, I forgot to mention but speaking of the Baleares...the main settlement is on Ibiza and Mallorca is empty. This causes the annoyance of a single rebel stack constantly spawning on Mallorca that pillages the prosperity of the province but needs a dedicated navy nearby just in case it shows up, and also UI problems if say you're Rome fighting Carthage and you're sieging/being sieged. With the under siege addition to the city graphic, it becomes super fiddly to even disembark any unit on Ibiza (since it's such a small island) to fight the siege. Is there any chance of moving the settlement to the main island? I know there's probably good historical reasons for Ibiza, but gameplay wise it's annoying to try and hover the mouse around to not click on the siege lines to disembark.
    I mentioned this problem about Scandinavia and Belearic Islands and how it causes some AI factions to baby sit full stacks on the other side of the water which severely wounds their progression into the game. They don t get strong in the campaign. The same goes with Getai and their culture change with enclaves, they loose their best governments and recruiting options.

The same goes with Getai and their culture change with enclaves, they loose their best governments and recruiting options.
    Again, no they don't. Culture is completely irrelevant to Getai governments and recruitment.

But they always keep losing somehow. Data from 5 campaigns and they never reach high culture of their own at their capital.

But they always keep losing somehow. Data from 5 campaigns and they never reach high culture of their own at their capital.
    It's got nothing to do with culture. What they are lacking is an AI version of their reform, so they can't build their highest government.

Just as an aside, few factions have culture-linked recruitment, the vast majority of that was removed in place of regional-based options instead. Options change over time/with reforms, not based on cultural changes.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; May 06, 2021 at 08:41 AM.

So the AI cannot build their best government I was wondering why I was playing and seeing their new elite unit at the begining and then afterwards no elites for Getai. Also I noticed that Getai like really really struggle to take Histrie. In fact their survival in my opinion in any campaign very much depends how quicly they can get Histrie and after like 300 turns they still don t have it, Macedon and Pergamon just stomps them. They mostly have 3 to 4 settlements and then get defeated. If it wasn t repeating in all my campaigns I would never have mentioned that here but it does. I m yet to see Getai get strong in any campaign.