Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536373839404142434459 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3.5 released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R2 released!

I tried takashila and wow, they are pretty rough. I conquered the western city close to Baktria, while doing that a half stack was plundering the southern border of takashila which made the province income drop from 2300 to 800 in 4 turns. There was another half stack close to the newly conquered city which tanked the income down to 600, it was also in the red happiness. Add to this the 3000 to the Mauryan Empire and it was pretty much over for me after 6 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    I tried takashila and wow, they are pretty rough. I conquered the western city close to Baktria, while doing that a half stack was plundering the southern border of takashila which made the province income drop from 2300 to 800 in 4 turns. There was another half stack close to the newly conquered city which tanked the income down to 600, it was also in the red happiness. Add to this the 3000 to the Mauryan Empire and it was pretty much over for me after 6 turns.
    Here is the preferred early game blueprint for Taksashila:

• Secure Sagala and Opiana and kill the rebel armies that protect them, good use of your starting elephants and chariots will be crucial to winning these early battles (Your archers are really good but their 150 range can leave them dangerously exposed to nomadic foot archers in the late game (who can have upwards of 180 to 200 range)). Kill any rebel rovers within your territory ASAP.
    • Consolidate until you are sufficiently developed to refuse the tribute demanded by your deadbeat, illegitimate brother Ashoka, fight off the armies he sends to end your defiance and presto! You have gained independence and can build Maruyan Urban administrations and gain access to Yavana guilds and Foreign Military colonies which provide sorely needed, high quality troops (Your levies and even your Kshatriya troops are inadequate for the struggles ahead...) for your confrontations with Baktria, Seleukeia and the Nomads.

Your mistakes:
    • Not dealing with the rebel rovers (They will wreck what little eco you have).
    • Going west to capture Kapshia too early (You lose a vital buffer against Baktria, Seleukeia and the Nomads). You really do not want to face crack heavy cavalry and horse archers with your Indian rabble do you?
    Last edited by realm56; June 19, 2021 at 08:49 AM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Here is the preferred early game blueprint for Taksashila:

• Secure Sagala and Opiana and kill the rebel armies that protect them, good use of your starting elephants and chariots will be crucial to winning these early battles (Your archers are really good but their 150 range can leave them dangerously exposed to nomadic foot archers in the late game (who can have upwards of 180 to 200 range)). Kill any rebel rovers within your territory ASAP.
    • Consolidate until you are sufficiently developed to refuse the tribute demanded by your deadbeat, illegitimate brother Ashoka, fight off the armies he sends to end your defiance and presto! You have gained independence and can build Maruyan Urban administrations and gain access to Yavana guilds and Foreign Military colonies which provide sorely needed, high quality troops (Your levies and even your Kshatriya troops are inadequate for the struggles ahead...) for your confrontations with Baktria, Seleukeia and the Nomads.

Your mistakes:
    • Not dealing with the rebel rovers (They will wreck what little eco you have).
    • Going west to capture Kapshia too early (You lose a vital buffer against Baktria, Seleukeia and the Nomads). You really do not want to face crack heavy cavalry and horse archers with your Indian rabble do you?

Thanks maybe I'll try that and I really like your guides. I hope you keep it up! But today I'm already driving down cocktail lane because it is like 50000000 degrees outside.

So far it doesn't look like the cavalry changes have caused the CAI to change it's recruiting behaviour.

R3 is quite a bit bigger than R2 was.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; June 21, 2021 at 05:34 PM.

redin5ide.82's Avatar Foederatus

So ... unleash the beast, we will tame it !

Has anyone successfully achieved the Mauryan military reform as Taksashila (the one that replaces chariots with lancers)?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Has anyone successfully achieved the Mauryan military reform as Taksashila (the one that replaces chariots with lancers)?

This is not a criticism of the mod in general but Taksashila was very unpleasant to play. The cities are too far apart which means that fighting rebels takes forever and because of the game mechanics I constantly got cities from the Seleucids which triggered the independence war which was also wonky (The Mauryan army attacked one of my cities without siege equipment which destroyed the entire army without a fight). The roster is not really interesting. There was probably put a lot of work into this faction but I was 160 turns in and could not bring myself to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by bismarck 1899 View Post
    This is not a criticism of the mod in general but Taksashila was very unpleasant to play. The cities are too far apart which means that fighting rebels takes forever and because of the game mechanics I constantly got cities from the Seleucids which triggered the independence war which was also wonky (The Mauryan army attacked one of my cities without siege equipment which destroyed the entire army without a fight). The roster is not really interesting. There was probably put a lot of work into this faction but I was 160 turns in and could not bring myself to continue.
    To address your queries:
    • Your complaints about the length of time it takes to fight the rebel rovers can be attributed to the large size of the Indian provinces which unfortunately means your armies takes some time to get to them as a side effect of the province size, nothing much to be done there. This also means that patience is required to play as them (You may be required to recover slowly from upwards of 30k debt)
    • The fact that you got cities from the Seleucids likely means that the Seleucids had problems holding Arachosia in your game if I call it right?
    • The fact that the Mauryan army attacked and likely captured Sagala without a fight, I am not sure how that happened, I immediately attacked their arimes as soon as they appeared and I faced no issue (Fighting both the larger armies one after another is very hard!).
    • The lack of diversity of their factional roster can be attributed to the fact that you are not really playing a proper kingdom at campaign start but rather, you are playing as what is essentially a semi-independent vassal of the Mauryan empire at the easternmost edge of the map. As such, you gain no access to Indian regionals that would have been historically present further east from your domain. The best troops Taksashila gains access to surprisingly comes not from their government but from the upper tiers of the Foreign Military colony and Yavana Guilds.

I do have a couple of suggestions of my own to the team to make their experience even better:
    • Starting from 184BC, the Indian provinces (Specifically Gandhara and Sagala) could be subjected to scripted invasions/raids from the Shunga Empire, if I understand it correctly, they had designs on Taksashila's starting domains (Pushyamitra Shunga's alleged persecution of the Buddhists in his realm provided the casus belli for Demetrios I of Baktria to launch his invasion of India. The invasions can also represent him attempting to assert his authority over former Maruyan holdings).
    • I expected a more concerted pushback from the tribal peoples from the southern provinces where Patala and Girnar are located, I am pretty sure that these tribesmen did not take kindly to a centralized Maruyan administration being forced upon them (Perhaps a small chance for a large tribal army to spawn if Urban administrations are built in their home territories)

I sincerely hope that all of the issues that you faced does not take away from the experience that they can offer (They were quite fun for me! A breath of fresh air from my usual go to Hellenistic and Nomadic factions!)
    Last edited by realm56; June 22, 2021 at 05:38 PM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    To address your queries:
    • Your complaints about the length of time it takes to fight the rebel rovers can be attributed to the large size of the Indian provinces which unfortunately means your armies takes some time to get to them as a side effect of the province size, nothing much to be done there. This also means that patience is required to play as them (You may be required to recover slowly from upwards of 30k debt)
    • The fact that you got cities from the Seleucids likely means that the Seleucids had problems holding Arachosia in your game if I call it right?
    • The fact that the Mauryan army attacked and likely captured Sagala without a fight, I am not sure how that happened, I immediately attacked their arimes as soon as they appeared and I faced no issue (Fighting both the larger armies one after another is very hard!).
    • The lack of diversity of their factional roster can be attributed to the fact that you are not really playing a proper kingdom at campaign start but rather, you are playing as what is essentially a semi-independent vassal of the Mauryan empire at the easternmost edge of the map. As such, you gain no access to Indian regionals that would have been historically present further east from your domain. The best troops Taksashila gains access to surprisingly comes not from their government but from the upper tiers of the Foreign Military colony and Yavana Guilds.

- The fact that the provinces are so gigantic is not immersive. Germania for example has much more cities and villages in a comparably smaller area.
    - No I got all the southern indian provinces from the Seleucids. Arachosia was the one city I actually conquered myself. The first one I got was Girnar.
    - Two armies spawned directly next to the two main cities and wasn't sure that I could beat both so I let one besiege Taksashila and it immediately attacked. I guess, it could be a bug where the ai thinks it can open the gates with elephants maybe? Wasn't that a thing in vanilla?
    - Lack of diversity is lack of diversity.
    - I know that it has a completely different meaning in India but phew all those Swastika sure bugged me.

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.35A R3 released!

The Release 3 patch is in the original post. It's a lot bigger than R2, now 200MB compared to 40MB.

Paste over either v2.35A+R1 or v2.35A+R1+R2. Either way it won't work without R1. If it doesn't throw up any howlers, I'll replace the R1 link with a properly integrated big zip.

See here for an updated changelog, R2 was at r17431, R1 at r17373.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; June 24, 2021 at 08:07 AM.

the patch works. You guys reduced the size of the Lugian horse? It looks like a small pony now or maybe those new noble riders from the East have massively big horse models. Anyway since I am the only guy who plays Lugia in this forum I can say that I approve the new "Tautaginos" unit model, however the only thing I missed was more "rectangularity" on their shields, reminded me more of those armenian spearmen people haha
    Last edited by bordinis; June 24, 2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    the patch works. You guys reduced the size of the Lugian horse? It looks like a small pony now
    No change, it's always been a pony.

the change to Tautaginoi means we no longer will get the new body guard unit model for Lugians in the future? The old Tautaginoi unit model will be in place? Ok going to go to digest the mod now..

Was soliferrum wielding cavalry excluded from the attack boost on purpose or is it a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Was soliferrum wielding cavalry excluded from the attack boost on purpose or is it a mistake?
    Left out on purpose. They already have a very high attack number and an effective projectile.

Can you find and upload the R1 patch ? Or will it work only with 2.35 + R3 patch?

Can you find and upload the R1 patch ? Or will it work only with 2.35 + R3 patch?
    It's on the original post still. You need v2.35+R1+R3.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; June 25, 2021 at 06:00 AM.

The download for the direct download 1 in the installation instructions enables you to download the update titled 2.35A R1 Final, this downloaded file should be applied to a fresh 2.35 install. After this is done, install R3 over the 2.35 install with 2.35A R1 Final applied.
    - Sun Tzu

Mm thanks guys.. Has anyone ever made The Sarmatia reform? I m having difficulties getting to Estern Imperial. I have 5 tribute collectors in 5 towns and nothing is triggering.. mm

Mm thanks guys.. Has anyone ever made The Sarmatia reform? I m having difficulties getting to Estern Imperial. I have 5 tribute collectors in 5 towns and nothing is triggering.. mm
    This is the specific script pertaining to the Sarmatian reforms.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ; === Sauromatae Reforms ===

;; Player trigger

declare_counter sauro_settled_tributaries

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType f_sauromatae
    and SettlementBuildingExists > wooden_pallisade
    and SettlementBuildingExists = sauro_prec
    if I_EventCounter ecSauro_Settled < 1
    inc_counter sauro_settled_tributaries 1
    end_if
    if I_EventCounter ecSauro_Settled > 0
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType f_sauromatae
    if not I_IsFactionAIControlled f_sauromatae ; player trigger
    and I_CompareCounter sauro_settled_tributaries > 4
    set_event_counter ecSauro_Settled 1
    historic_event HE_SAURO_SETTLED factions { f_sauromatae, }
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    if I_IsFactionAIControlled f_sauromatae ; AI trigger
    and I_CompareCounter sauro_settled_tributaries > 2
    set_event_counter ecSauro_Settled 1
    terminate_monitor
    end_if
    if I_EventCounter ecSauro_Settled < 1
    set_counter sauro_settled_tributaries 0
    end_if
    end_monitor

If I interpret this correctly, the player must establish at least 5 Æfsadai Khsaran governments in settlements (Those settlements must not have the building called pastoral/nomadic region in order for them to count towards the reforms) that are at town level or higher. You appear to be doing things by the book....and btw, the Sarmatians do not change culture when they achieve their reforms (Bunch of weirdos...) although they gain access to much needed diversity in their unit roster and civil infrastructure when Sarmatian Urban Administrations have been established post-reform.
    Last edited by realm56; June 25, 2021 at 06:45 AM.
    - Sun Tzu