Thread: Crash when starting a battle.

Default Crash when starting a battle.

Hallo. I'm having a crash when starting a battle. It happens on the loading screen. Im using the MoE mod with Bran CA ai submode and i have made it be a 40 unit save. Is there somwhere where the game makes a logg? Maybe i can uppload it here so someone can see the reason.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Crash when starting a battle.

you are maybe missing one of the required pack? Does it happen with every faction/units?

I happens as france and sweden. Those are the only ones that i have tyed. I tryed looking at the crash log using windows visual studio and i think i found this if it helps: "'napoleon_1754_crash_2021_4_4T14_3_43C0.mdmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Windows\System32\wow64cpu.dll'. Module was built without symbols.Unhandled exception at 0x0129D2DF (Napoleon.exe) in napoleon_1754_crash_2021_4_4T14_3_43C0.mdmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x54165030.".
    I think i manage to upload the crashlog https://www.mediafire.com/file/bp2xk...43C0.mdmp/file

I'm not missing any files (acording to your mod installer, exept of corse that i only have one localicsation file). I tryed the fix that was used it this tread: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...CRASH-BUG-FIX* and removed the deublications in the tecnolegies but it did not fix it for me.

Patrician Artifex

the minidump is useless, it doesn't give anything interesting.

If you had a crash in campaign, there may be a bug there. But normally in custom battle it should work. I suggest you try something very basic, like just put the general and one line infantry in custom battle. If it still crashes, you probably have a conflict with something, or files are not installed correctly.

If it doesn't, try to add the units one by one to see when it stops working: it could be one faulty unit.

And to start with, try with only MoE, no Bran mod, no 40 units save.

Custom battles work. It's pretty wired bacause as france i have an army by gibraltar and if i attack the game crashes on the loading screen. But if i take an army from alsach-lorrein and attack wurtemburg the battle loads as it should. This it the bran CA ai mod and 40 unit save. Dose the game make any crash log thats more usefull that i could upload?

Patrician Artifex

no log unfortunately, CA offered little support for mods or debugging at the time. Try without Bran and 40 units, may that's causing the issue

So i tryed a new campain as france without bran or 40 unit jsut to test and i took an army and marched it to vienna and i got a crash. But i get no crash if i take an army and attack amsterdam. I allso started a game as spain and attacked gibraltar and i got no crash. It allso tock my game as france where i get crashes when trying to attack gibraltar. I abandond the seige. Waited a turn and attacked again and still got a crash. So it seams so be pretty random but when it happens it to a specefic town it keeps on happening.

Patrician Artifex

May it have to do with the size of the town? I'm using the "fort" slot for the administrative building. But I think CA may have hardcoded something there, and you get walls if it's level 1 or 2, even if you are not supposed to, and then the wall disappear with level 3.

When you said that i togth that that would make sense so i went to do some tests both with my ongoing campain and with new ones but i could not find any pattern related to the forts. Sometime it crashed with the lowest levle somtime it did not. Same with higher levels. Somtime if it crashed i could attack the same town a turn later and it would work and sometime it would not. There must be someting thats wrong somewhere but the patern is so random

I will try a complete reinstall of napoleon and your mod and see if it fixes it.

Great news i found the problem i think. I had a mod file in my data folder from a mod called Alb23 modified deployment zone that was causing it. Maybe it made deploymnetzones overlap or somthing. Anyway a reinstaling and removing it fixed it.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    May it have to do with the size of the town? I'm using the "fort" slot for the administrative building. But I think CA may have hardcoded something there, and you get walls if it's level 1 or 2, even if you are not supposed to, and then the wall disappear with level 3.
    I've had similar problems with using the fort slot for Administration buildings. Modifying the fort slot in the startpos.esf file with a level 1 building will show up as a level 1 fortification on the battle map. A level 2 building will place a level 2 star fort. As Steph noted a level 3 and up the forts disappear. You can tell on the campaign map by looking closely for the fort icons around the city.

Last edited by Lord Davn; April 12, 2021 at 01:44 PM.