View Poll Results: Which feature would you most like to see in Rome Total War Remastered?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Additional seasons (spring and autumn)

15 24.59%
  • Alternative settlement types

9 14.75%
  • Civil wars for factions other than Rome

5 8.20%
  • Fine adjustment of the battle speed (levels of slo-mo in battle)

0 0%
  • Multiplayer campaign

9 14.75%
  • Reforms for factions other than Rome

10 16.39%
  • Vanguard deployment

0 0%
  • Other (please specify on the poll thread)

13 21.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which feature would you most like to see in Rome Total War Remastered?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Which feature would you most like to see in Rome Total War Remastered?

• Additional seasons (spring and autumn)
    • Alternative settlement types
    • Civil wars for factions other than Rome
    • Fine adjustment of the battle speed (levels of slo-mo in battle)
    • Multiplayer campaign
    • Reforms for factions other than Rome
    • Vanguard deployment
    • Other (please specify on the poll thread)
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 02, 2021 at 03:18 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Which feature would you most like to see in Rome Total War Remastered?

Hi Alwyn,
    this is very good idea to create such polls. Let's make more of them!
    I would like to have:
    - AI: CAI, BAI scalable with difficulty (it also means completely re-done).
    - recruitment pools as they're in the M2TW. The current system still leads to the depletion of population in the cities.
    - different classes of the populations (as they're in the Empire TW - for me, the best feature of that game).

BTW - is the "Fine adjustment of the battle speed (levels of slo-mo in battle)" not in the RTW:R? (I don't recall it from the RTW... what's shame). I thought it's the feature of the engine and only in the Warscape you don't have it?
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Which feature would you most like to see in Rome Total War Remastered?

Voted other, because the one thing that the post ETW games have over the earlier ones is the replenishment system. Especially if you have lots of region-specific units and mercenaries (which adds a lot of flavour) it becomes a great annoyance to ship them back for "retraining" or to not even be able to replenish them at all (cf. mercenaries in Rome I).
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Upgraded campaign script at the moment. Can't share the sentiment for replenishment; but I've long tuned my gameplay to account for not having it and now everything later feels cheap.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

I would like to see 40 unit armies or at least a S2TW type of "control large army".
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Domesticus

40 units in the army, for modding.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Voted other, because the one thing that the post ETW games have over the earlier ones is the replenishment system. Especially if you have lots of region-specific units and mercenaries (which adds a lot of flavour) it becomes a great annoyance to ship them back for "retraining" or to not even be able to replenish them at all (cf. mercenaries in Rome I).
    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I would like to see 40 unit armies or at least a S2TW type of "control large army".
    Ha, this is interesting: it's exactly what I don't like in the new TW games:
    - you don't need to care about the loses in battles (unless you allow to get your units destroyed) because they'll replenish automatically;
    - I don't think a non-power gamers is able to control simultaneously so many units. 20 is enough. What I've seen in the youtube videos was that they always put the same type units in groups and send them to battle. "On right flank 2 units of cavalry, go around, charge; in the center 6 units of spearmen hold, 4 units of slingers behind" etc. If you divide everything by 2, the outcome is 1 cavalry around, 3 spearmen in the center, 2 slingers behind. The same outcome.

Not mentioned here but related to the number of units:
    - I love the system that you can detach units without a general. In my games - also because in the SSHIP the traits triggers fire if you're an underdog - I usually leave a couple of units behind to fight always in a (reasonable) disadvantage. In the DeI/MKTW I cannot do it.
    - in RTW/M2TW I play battles with limited numbers of troops: 6 agains 8, 12 against 14, etc. In R2TW/ATW/ToB its always 20 vs. 20. Apart from the initial phase of the game, it never make sense to have armies of less than max 20 units. And then you make those sniping-army-groups destroying the AI armies (and the AI is doing the same, like here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have voted "other" because I'd really like to see a game that can be easily and fully modable like the original one. That way, anybody can get what he wants
    Unfortunately, I don't think it would be the case.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I have voted "other" because I'd really like to see a game that can be easily and fully modable like the original one. That way, anybody can get what he wants
    Unfortunately, I don't think it would be the case.
    They actually said they are going to remove hardcoded limits and make it even more moddable than before. It remains to be seen but it leads us to hope it might happen.

As for me I agree with what Jurand is saying but I would like to add something of my own and that would be new units and goals for all factions, especially the ones that were formerly unplayable since Darren really made a point that they were not in the Base game on default for a reason that the Developers thought they were not fully finished and would have been lacking compared to most. I would prefer the new units to be only around two for the already playable ones and a couple more for the formerly unplayable. Why the small number is because I don't want to them just make up entire new rosters but keep the feel of the factions in the original but add enough to give more incentive to play them again and add some more depth to them. I would like a glorious achievements mode from MTW1 or Prestige mode from ETW in the game so you do not have to simply play the same campaign of recoloring the map with your faction.

Foederatus

I voted "other", because even though I do like some of the other points brought forward, to me the moddability (including removal of hardcoded limits and perhaps added flexibility in adding new elements to the game) will basically make all the other options somewhat obsolete from my PoV. If something isn't in the game that I miss, I'll add it myself or search for a mod that already adds this.

This I do with virtually any game btw and not just RTW. Every time I'm getting interested in a game I might buy, the first questions I always ask myself are "Is it possible to play this offline? (nso if the master server kicks the bucket, I can still play it)", "Is it coopable?" and "Is it moddable?".

And of course it should be a fun game as well

Personally I do hope it won't break some of the things I added to my personal modded campaign map. And especially the ability to have multiple family trees for a single faction because I like to be able to roleplay having several families per faction with distinct genetically inherited generals traits (which pass down only within a certain family).
    And this way I can have 4 family trees for my modded unified Rome (the Julii, Brutii, Scipii and Maxentius) and also multiple family trees for my unified Greek faction.

But I've accepted that I'm somewhat in a minority here.

4 seasons is a must for me. Best innovation ( possibly the only good one ) in recent TW titles.
    Classical World - overhaul mod for Hegemony 3 , Clash of The Ancients. The Real Time Grand Strategy equivalent of Total War
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/classical-world-5

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Letalis View Post
    I voted "other", because even though I do like some of the other points brought forward, to me the moddability (including removal of hardcoded limits and perhaps added flexibility in adding new elements to the game) will basically make all the other options somewhat obsolete from my PoV. If something isn't in the game that I miss, I'll add it myself or search for a mod that already adds this.

This I do with virtually any game btw and not just RTW. Every time I'm getting interested in a game I might buy, the first questions I always ask myself are "Is it possible to play this offline? (nso if the master server kicks the bucket, I can still play it)", "Is it coopable?" and "Is it moddable?".

And of course it should be a fun game as well

Personally I do hope it won't break some of the things I added to my personal modded campaign map. And especially the ability to have multiple family trees for a single faction because I like to be able to roleplay having several families per faction with distinct genetically inherited generals traits (which pass down only within a certain family).
    And this way I can have 4 family trees for my modded unified Rome (the Julii, Brutii, Scipii and Maxentius) and also multiple family trees for my unified Greek faction.

But I've accepted that I'm somewhat in a minority here.
    They should remove the factions limits, for other limits they should only increase them.
    Let's see other news these days.

I voted multiplayer campaign. All the other options are more or less moddable

Voted for additional seasons, as a modder, I really enjoy modding the environment stuff and being able to transition the strat and battle map through extra seasons would be great! It also suits more turns per year mods a lot better.

As a player, I would definitely want a multiplayer campaign though. We're currently buying and playing the later games (which I don't actually like as much as RTW/M2) just because they have the co-op campaign option.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Ha, this is interesting: it's exactly what I don't like in the new TW games:
    - you don't need to care about the loses in battles (unless you allow to get your units destroyed) because they'll replenish automatically;
    - I don't think a non-power gamers is able to control simultaneously so many units. 20 is enough. What I've seen in the youtube videos was that they always put the same type units in groups and send them to battle. "On right flank 2 units of cavalry, go around, charge; in the center 6 units of spearmen hold, 4 units of slingers behind" etc. If you divide everything by 2, the outcome is 1 cavalry around, 3 spearmen in the center, 2 slingers behind. The same outcome.

Not mentioned here but related to the number of units:
    - I love the system that you can detach units without a general. In my games - also because in the SSHIP the traits triggers fire if you're an underdog - I usually leave a couple of units behind to fight always in a (reasonable) disadvantage. In the DeI/MKTW I cannot do it.
    - in RTW/M2TW I play battles with limited numbers of troops: 6 agains 8, 12 against 14, etc. In R2TW/ATW/ToB its always 20 vs. 20. Apart from the initial phase of the game, it never make sense to have armies of less than max 20 units. And then you make those sniping-army-groups destroying the AI armies (and the AI is doing the same, like here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Im a bit neurotic where non-full-strength units are concerned. I hate it when they miss even one man before going to battle, so sending troops back to where they can be recruited/retrained became a pain in ass for me (and made me not use mercenaries at all since they could mostly not be retrained). I ended up fighting most of my battles with mid-tier units because those were the only ones I could reliably retrain everywhere.

I agree very much, though, about the non-full-stack armies. I have missed those ever since they removed armies not led by characters after S2. The small-armies fights with militia units/garrisons against small enemy incursions or rebels in MedII had their very own appeal.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    They should remove the factions limits, for other limits they should only increase them.
    Let's see other news these days.
    Personally I think the addition of the Remastered version is an awesome development! I'm actually exited about modding RTW again now that we also get more factions, more different units (that way I don't have to keep count on how many different models I'm using with the "#"-counting trick in notepad++) and more regions (so I can expand the map northward so I have all or most of Scandinavia and Finland, which is a personal project I never ended up finishing) without having to delete some of the desert regions (I used a modified Mundus Magnus v4 iirc?).

I'm also hoping it will be easier to tweak the generals speeches. It's impossible for us to add more using the same voice, but I totally love the (sometimes wacky xD) generals speeches. But I kinda hated that whenever my Roman general would battle the Goths (basically a modified Numidia faction with some symbols etc ported from BI and some of the existing barbarian factions), he would talk about those Numidians -_- which was kinda immersion-breaking :/

I'm definitely following this development, checking a few times a day if anything news has surfaced! ^^

Other - the ability to rename armies
    A rout was prevented by Hopton's stalwart Cornish foot regiments posted to support the flanks of the cavalry as they withdrew. The Cornishmen held their ground and succeeded in holding off the Parliamentarian attack.
    By mid-afternoon, the Royalist infantry had gained a foothold on the hilltop. The Cornish pikemen formed into a defensive line and succeeded in holding off counter-attacks by the Parliamentarian cavalry
    Lansdown 1643

In order of importance, but I realize that it would be quite a stretch:
    -Naval and amphibious battles
    -improved AI
    -a new recruitment system combining M2TW manpower and NTW+ replenishment in friendly territory

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Letalis View Post
    Personally I think the addition of the Remastered version is an awesome development! I'm actually exited about modding RTW again now that we also get more factions, more different units (that way I don't have to keep count on how many different models I'm using with the "#"-counting trick in notepad++) and more regions (so I can expand the map northward so I have all or most of Scandinavia and Finland, which is a personal project I never ended up finishing) without having to delete some of the desert regions (I used a modified Mundus Magnus v4 iirc?).

I'm also hoping it will be easier to tweak the generals speeches. It's impossible for us to add more using the same voice, but I totally love the (sometimes wacky xD) generals speeches. But I kinda hated that whenever my Roman general would battle the Goths (basically a modified Numidia faction with some symbols etc ported from BI and some of the existing barbarian factions), he would talk about those Numidians -_- which was kinda immersion-breaking :/

I'm definitely following this development, checking a few times a day if anything news has surfaced! ^^
    Yes, we hope they will greatly increase the limit of the campaign map (map_regions.tga etc ...).

I know, I ask a lot, I would have liked to have more than 20 units in an army, or to have a garrison system like in Rome II (in cities, where you have the possibility to have more units during a siege).

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkka123 View Post
    I voted multiplayer campaign. All the other options are more or less moddable
    Same here. It shouldn't be too hard for them to port this over from M2TW. They did that with Merchants, after all. And it doesn't affect any of the existing game play.
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Caesar II; April 05, 2021 at 01:33 PM.
    I'm OldTotalWarrior on YouTube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast