Thread: Are you someone who keeps CD/DVD's for a long time still working?

Default Are you someone who keeps CD/DVD's for a long time still working?

I think many people normally don't keep their CD/DVD's for a long time ( One of the reasons could be negligence ). How about you?
    And what are some techniques on how to keep them alive longer?

Default Re: Are you someone who keeps CD/DVD's for a long time still working?

I have a hot swap hard drive where I've made virtual copies of the CD\DVDs and some ripped Blu-rays.

Most of the CDs I've stored properly should be just fine. I had a loss a few years ago, but that wasn't normal conditions. Incredibly slowly I've started to pursue the above thought as well. The little red labels are no excuse for letting earned money spent literally disintegrate.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I still have CD's from 2003 and 2004
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I still have my cd's/dvd's. Even our cassette tapes, betamax and VHS tapes.

I still have CD's from 2003 and 2004
    Did you recently check if they still work?

I still have my cd's/dvd's. Even our cassette tapes, betamax and VHS tapes
    Are they still alive? Did you check it?

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I still have CD's from 1998. And i can confirm they still work.
    You will need to fiddle around with some windows settings to make them compatible again but that's just a minor challenge.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

1. I recall hearing that in tropical climes fungus eats up cee dees.

2. I've gotten rid of dee vee dees, though the cee dees are in storage like my Magic cards.

3. I may start up a blu ray four kay collection.

4. I'll leave tapes, whether video or audio, to collectors.

5. And vinyl to connoisseurs.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

CD's and DVD's are still working. Can't check the cassettes, betamax and VHS since we don't have the player anymore.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Got CDs all the way from the 80s. Still buy new ones. Not many though. Never have. I just don't trust I won't lose my music unless I have the physical copy. Don't by movies or games on disc though.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    I have a hot swap hard drive where I've made virtual copies of the CD\DVDs and some ripped Blu-rays.
    I do the same thing myself and the tool I use is the Partition Wizard.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by typhil01 View Post
    I only keep them because of nostalgia!!!
    yup! same

Ältester der Motten's Avatar Primicerius

Thre's no reason to discard them until they're well beyond useless. So old image editing software can go, but old favourite games may still be fondly returned to. Music CDs will stay in my possession until they've literally broken down or I'm dead.

I keep my old CDs because I still listen to them, because I still want to listen to an album end to end, because life isn't always about the shuffle. I still have some of my DVDs, in a box, I don't even own a DVD player - they have fond memories and I keep saying I'll get a DVD player and rematch them.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

100% I keep old CD's and DVD's. I still have the original CD's from the first Total War games in their original boxes, complete with the jewel cases in good / very good shape.

The oldest CD I have is from 1996 and it still works. I just take care of them and store them in a room with balanced temperature.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    Did you recently check if they still work?
    They work.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

zzzms's Avatar Semisalis

I have CD's from the early 90's all working fine, DVD's from the late 90's all working fine. However, I used CD-R's [90's] and DVD-R's [00's] for back-ups, and have found that some are now unreadable. Luckily, I also have external drives for back-up purposes. They say that data doesn't exist unless it is in 3 separate places...

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John Acton, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Backup in three different hardware storage types, and two separate places.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.