Thread: Anyone interested in speedrunning Rome 1 out there?

Default Anyone interested in speedrunning Rome 1 out there?

Hi, I'm NightyKnight. I am a speedrunner for Rome 1, as well as Medieval 2, but mainly a Rome runner.

As of recent, many breakthroughs have been found in the routings. Short campaign went from 2 minutes in early 2020(Gaul by Kevmeister, you've probably seen it) to 39 seconds as of a few months ago(Britannia, Kev has the world record but many others have ran it as well). In long campaign, its gotten even more insane. Until around this September, the run took just under 30 minutes to beat as Britannia. This might be surprising, but through complex exploits and diplomacy, the world record sits at 6 minutes long, also by Kevmeister. That's right. 50 regions, the civil war, and taking Rome can be done in 6 minutes, or 8 turns to be exact. Here is a video link if you are curious. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJBjIM-UH4&t). We now have a new category called Factions - Short Campaign Marathon, where you have to beat short campaign as all 19 functional factions (all 21 minus SPQR and Rebels). We don't have a completed run yet, since the routing for Pontus hasn't been finalized, but we think it is possible to beat the game 19 times in under 50 minutes.

As you can see, the community is bustling. We have a discord server with 35 members at the moment, and are growing pretty rapidly.

Are any of you interested in learning to speedrun this amazing game? I highly reccomend it, it is a great way to get more hours out of vanilla.

If you are interested, join the discord server through the link below. Any questions? Ask them. I would be more than willing to answer any.

Oh, and, Barbarian Invasion's Western Roman Empire campaign can be beaten in 20 seconds.

Default Re: Anyone interested in speedrunning Rome 1 out there?

Here is the link to the discord server:
    https://discord.gg/crwHqp6
    sorry, forgot to put it in the original post. Have a nice day

King_of_Spoons64's Avatar Civis

I don't get why people only speedrun campaigns, wouldn't the historical battles make for better runs?
    Oh my god and several other deities.

Historical battles are ran, but it turns into a boring autoscroller. The campaign speedruns show a sense of routing, knowledge of exploits, and menuing. Historical battles only have 2 submitted speedruns, while the campaigns have 20+.

Alas, everything about this is the opposite of my interest in play.

I don't get the point of a speedrun in a game like Total War. I prefer a blitz and to take my time making decisions. I'll sometimes sit for minutes just to think about my next move.

Still, impressive. That regular tribute is such a dirty exploit that it should be removed in the remaster, lol.