Thread: Anyone interested in forming a new mod-porting team for Rome Remastered?

Default Anyone interested in forming a new mod-porting team for Rome Remastered?

Since most of the OG modding team for RS II and RS III have retired, any hopes of seeing RS mod in Rome Remastered will require the formation of a new modding team. While we don't exactly know how easy it will be to port the mod over, I do suspect it will require some efforts by a number of people in clearing up the files and making sure things like maps and units from the old mod can be nicely translated to the Remastered edition.

Considering that the remastered edition has updated and created new models to fit 4k resolution, some work might be needed to update some of the old textures and etc. So I am wondering if anyone is interested in forming a new modding team for Roma Surrectum?

Also, will members of the old modding team approved the creation of a new modding team, whose aim is to primarily port RS III over to remastered?

Default Re: Anyone interested in forming a new mod-porting team for Rome Remastered?

My experience in modding TW is marginal, but I created some scripts and it should be doable enough to learn more. I would be able to help quite a bit on the software engineering side. Maybe we should create a Discord for other people who may want to join?
    Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Default Re: Anyone interested in forming a new mod-porting team for Rome Remastered?

Happy for any of my stuff to be used. I'm sure that will apply to any of the graphics, map elements, unit stats. Also very happy to upload all the original uncompressed graphics files as well as layered stuff from GIMP if that helps any graphics people that end up helping out.
    You'll need DVK to approve formally though. I can't imagine him saying no, however.

I don't have any modding experience or anything, just wanted to register my interest and give encouragement !

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I'm okay with the use of my music ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Happy for any of my stuff to be used. I'm sure that will apply to any of the graphics, map elements, unit stats. Also very happy to upload all the original uncompressed graphics files as well as layered stuff from GIMP if that helps any graphics people that end up helping out.
    You'll need DVK to approve formally though. I can't imagine him saying no, however.
    With news about units limits, faction limits, and settlement limits being removed, I wonder if it is possible to go beyond a remaster of RS III and create a mod as DvK envisioned without the original RTW limits. I knew Dvk talked a lot about wanting to do more with the source code of RTW back in the day...

It will be nice if DVK share with people what sort of vision he had if those limits were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    With news about units limits, faction limits, and settlement limits being removed, I wonder if it is possible to go beyond a remaster of RS III and create a mod as DvK envisioned without the original RTW limits. I knew Dvk talked a lot about wanting to do more with the source code of RTW back in the day...

It will be nice if DVK share with people what sort of vision he had if those limits were removed.
    Of course it is. I'd be more than happy to help, but I have zero experience modding anything. The news so far are promising, but the main constraint on any mod-porting is undoubtedly the human capital. The majority of the talent has simply moved on.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The limits of the original RTW engine severely restricted a number of things we wanted to do. The major one would be the number of factions. You'll note that in RS3 you have the ability to play factions 'other than' the main ones that were built into RS, like Galatia, Bithynia, Athens, etc. But the only way we could do that was to remove a faction (Sparta), and set that up as another faction. The ability to do that was set up (on purpose) in the EDU, DMB and EDB files so that all the units were there to be used. But, we were limited there as well because the unit limit was 500, and we used them all. Basically, we jumped through hoops, fooled the engine, and coerced RTW to do what we wanted. But all the limits made things very hard, and in some cases, impossible. The game also limited the number of 'objects' you could place in a settlement (I don't know what it is exactly, but I hit it ), and the number of buildings you could even have IN the game overall. I hit that to. It was probably because the engine couldn't handle any more than that without choking on it's own EXE....but yeah, removing\expanding limits will be very helpful for future modders. You wouldn't need all those modfoldered campaigns to add factions. Yet another beef was the map. Some people, I imagine, never cared about the number of regions and settlements, but in my opinion the ability should be there to add as many as you please. I used to joke with the team that I wanted to be able to kick China's butt with the Romans....but alas, it couldn't be. The only way to make a map that big was to shrink everything down so small that it wouldn't be playable IMHO. Anyway, it remains to be seen what can be done with the map.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    The limits of the original RTW engine severely restricted a number of things we wanted to do. The major one would be the number of factions. You'll note that in RS3 you have the ability to play factions 'other than' the main ones that were built into RS, like Galatia, Bithynia, Athens, etc. But the only way we could do that was to remove a faction (Sparta), and set that up as another faction. The ability to do that was set up (on purpose) in the EDU, DMB and EDB files so that all the units were there to be used. But, we were limited there as well because the unit limit was 500, and we used them all. Basically, we jumped through hoops, fooled the engine, and coerced RTW to do what we wanted. But all the limits made things very hard, and in some cases, impossible. The game also limited the number of 'objects' you could place in a settlement (I don't know what it is exactly, but I hit it ), and the number of buildings you could even have IN the game overall. I hit that to. It was probably because the engine couldn't handle any more than that without choking on it's own EXE....but yeah, removing\expanding limits will be very helpful for future modders. You wouldn't need all those modfoldered campaigns to add factions. Yet another beef was the map. Some people, I imagine, never cared about the number of regions and settlements, but in my opinion the ability should be there to add as many as you please. I used to joke with the team that I wanted to be able to kick China's butt with the Romans....but alas, it couldn't be. The only way to make a map that big was to shrink everything down so small that it wouldn't be playable IMHO. Anyway, it remains to be seen what can be done with the map.
    Well Rome vs China would be possible, espeically with Three Kingdoms Total War providing the fanbase with the easily accessible information on various Chinese units and etc.

I do wonder if we could expand the number of recruitable legions, possibly also allowing the late Roman legions to be created as you advanced through the game. A massive lift on unit caps means you can potentially allow all the non-Roman factions to have military reforms of their own as they advance... which might make the late game more interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LavaCreeper View Post
    My experience in modding TW is marginal, but I created some scripts and it should be doable enough to learn more. I would be able to help quite a bit on the software engineering side. Maybe we should create a Discord for other people who may want to join?
    The same applies to me as well. My experience with modding is mostly limited to being a beta-tester for mods, and it's been years since I've touched any of the Total War games. I'll happily help out with whatever historical research I can provide.

As for a Discord, yeah. I might as well set it up, although I can't say I will be too deeply involved as of yet. If anyone wants to take a lead on getting the project started, feel free to do so.

Discord Link:

https://discord.gg/FDkvSdYMuy
    Last edited by ray243; April 06, 2021 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Welcome back dvk901
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

maybe its a good idea to join the RTR team. they plan on making a new mod for the remaster that is gonna try and pick the best parts from roma surrectum and RTR and other mods and combine that into a brand new overhaul
    was talking to ahowl11 on discord, they can use all the help they can get with such a ambitious mod

https://discord.gg/RYXKjYsDYP
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Makes a load of sense and can use a load of shared resources.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

i can imagine the beautifull city's and legions in the remaster, that can add 20 more years of joy to this community
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

I think it would be wise to message the old RS community members and modders to see if they can get brought back into the fold