Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Total War Remaster

Default Thoughts on the Total War Remaster

Pretty surprised to see this. Figured this community would have some thoughts.

Default Re: Thoughts on the Total War Remaster

It looks visually quite nice on the battle map. Can't say so much for the campaign, which is very oversaturated - someone said it looked like a mobile strategy game.

After EB though, my preference for historical accuracy makes it such that it would be difficult and time consuming to go back to RTW to play it...

Ugly strat map, devasted ui.

Yup. The UI looks rather dire... I'm cautiously optimistic about some of the changes in functionality however, diplomacy in particular.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Would have prefered abandonware.

It has potential as a battle game, given how good the RWT engine handles units. However the campaign game is terrible in RTW, and even worse with that UI. Would be good as game to recreate historical battles with different outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    It has potential as a battle game, given how good the RWT engine handles units. However the campaign game is terrible in RTW, and even worse with that UI. Would be good as game to recreate historical battles with different outcomes.
    agreed but it will hopefully serve as a platform that can be pushed beyond that... they said some changes were done to diplomacy, so fingers crossed. and yes, battle-wise, this has a lot of potential because it has no issues with phalanx, secondary weapons etc. also the feature of different ethnicities represented within a unit based on its recruitment and replenishment areas is definitely appealing. im looking forward to updated and improved ports/iterations of classics such as RTR and EB.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

I think it looks well for what it is, a remaster. Not a remake or gigantic undertaking which is EB 2.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

The inclusion of merchants does open the possibility of them doing the same for M2TW, I really hope so, but to have EBII on such new engine, well, it will really depend on how different things will be and of course, it's not like the team isn't busy already with lots of things to do.

I think CA clearly has no more talent. I mean really. Medieval 1 was the last game that had Random rebellions, and Traitors. Up until Attila total war. Ca is dead as far as im concerned, all the original Devs that had passion, and desire to make a unique game gone. Now its just basically COD strategy style. Better graphics, AI keeps getting stupid/ not better. The Campaign still lacks "randomness" such as rebellions and revolts. I wont be buying it. Ill stick with EB. Which has done everything i expected CA to do. The best they can do is a remake now? Not even a new game, New features, New AI, or Campaign mechanics. Just a rehash with updated graphics.

I'm actually pretty happy with CA. Not going to lie, I hate the new building system, but with Warhammer and 3k they've found a formula that reaches a large group of people. Theyre a business, can't blame them for that. But they took the time to flush out Rome 2 instead of just abandoning it, are still willing to experiment with stuff like Troy total war (didn't like it but admire the attempt to blend realism/mythology). And though it doesn't look perfect giving us Rome remaster with mod support has a lot of possibilities, half off the price for those who own the original is a nice nod as well.

It looks like rome 1 for the IPhone lol. I own it lol. But I heard you can change the colors in the options.

Nerva's Avatar Ordinarius

While the map appears kind of iOS-y and the UI copy-pasted from Paradox's Imperator: Rome, the minute I heard Rome: Total War's soundtrack it all just came back to me from back in 2005-ish, I'll pay for it even if just for nostalgia.

I'll be keeping an eye on this but...unless AI is addressed and recruitment system improved compared to RTW, I won't be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    This is my issue with it. The only thing that was better about RTW was the battle engine.

CA didn't touch it, and the other dev team (Feral IIRC) didn't change the battle mechanic, I'm going to grab it and have fun with it and I'm wishing that mods from RTW will be "easy" to port to the remastered version but we can't know for sure before launch end of next month.

At the end of the day and as my opening statement said the non-implication of CA means it will be fun, so I'm happy
    "To pillage, to butcher and to despoil, they call the false name "Empire" and where they make a desolation they call it peace."
    Calgacus, leader of the Caledonians: C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola 30.5

Civis

I'm pretty optimistic because of steam workshop support from day 1. I'll bet there will be some UI and campaign map reverting mods coming out pretty fast after release.

Senator

thoughts
    The units look better than vanilla Rome 1 and they ruined the UI.

I can already improve the look of the units and many other features such as balance without downgrading the UI with mods so I don't really see the point of buying it

It may be worth it if mods like EB1 can be ported over and it's more stable but I won't buy it until that actually happens.
    Last edited by Sint; March 26, 2021 at 09:44 AM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Frtigern's Avatar Tiro

Will there be a 4K EB1 remaster? If not, I formally request one, and I can die happy. I still have a soft spot for RTW:BI and EB1, for some reason EB2 just feels different, looks nice and probably superior in many ways but it's not EB1.

Quote Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
    Will there be a 4K EB1 remaster? If not, I formally request one, and I can die happy. I still have a soft spot for RTW:BI and EB1, for some reason EB2 just feels different, looks nice and probably superior in many ways but it's not EB1.
    Why would it be? Not only would it force the team members to buy that expensive game just for some additional changes but the team also has lots to do with EBII. If anyone wants to do it, good luck because it will be a very time consuming task.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast