Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Total War Rome: Remastered

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Total War Rome: Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    According to a few people I know who have got their hands on it and snooped in the files, and talked to CA reps, it will be the most moddable TW game ever.
    Great news and I was kinda counting on that.
    "Après moi le déluge"

According to a few people I know who have got their hands on it and snooped in the files, and talked to CA reps, it will be the most moddable TW game ever.
    Hope this turns out to be true and even more so.

Foederatus

My fingers are already itching xD

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    That exploit is completely ridiculous. Hope it gets patched out soon. He is not joking when he says literally anyone can win.

Regular tribute is also rather broken in Total War, especially when you use it to buy regions. It can just be cancelled or a war can be declared.

The Burgundii, Lombardi, and Alemanii are all identical

If you smell one barbarian, you smell them all.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Any first impressions on whether it will be easy to port stuff over from old mods to the new game? As someone who worked on a few mods back in the early 2010s, but with less time on their hands these days, I'd be very interested to know how easy a straight port would be...

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane View Post
    Any first impressions on whether it will be easy to port stuff over from old mods to the new game? As someone who worked on a few mods back in the early 2010s, but with less time on their hands these days, I'd be very interested to know how easy a straight port would be...
    I guess we'll have to wait for the official release to get a better idea, but based on what we've been told from official sources it sounds like most of the original file hierarchy is the same. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to just copy scripts and .txt files over. I don't know about unit models and textures though.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Ensyvtre View Post
    I guess we'll have to wait for the official release to get a better idea, but based on what we've been told from official sources it sounds like most of the original file hierarchy is the same. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to just copy scripts and .txt files over. I don't know about unit models and textures though.
    I'm mostly interested in any info about added moddability of the campaign map, like maximum dimensions, maximum regions and other hardcoded limit changes.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Yes, that information is vital for my decision to purchase.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ensyvtre View Post
    If this is the case, it will be fantastic news. As for models and skins, I'd imagine that unless there are engine changes to the way rigging and animations are done, any new models which were added by mods should still work in the new version, although some of the "vanilla" models might have been redone, so the skins would no longer work with them. If the lighting engine has changed, I guess there might be compatability issues with the skins/ new alpha layers, but to be honest skins should be relatively easy to redo even if the files need adjusting.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

First impressions from a very quick first play:

- The improved looks are great but the new UI is less readable and requires more clicks than the old one imho. An option to get back to the old UI would be greatly welcome

- They fixed the CTD that came from a settlement that had no buildings able to produce units

- Using an SSD is highly recommended
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    First impressions from a very quick first play:

- The improved looks are great but the new UI is less readable and requires more clicks than the old one imho. An option to get back to the old UI would be greatly welcome

- They fixed the CTD that came from a settlement that had no buildings able to produce units

- Using an SSD is highly recommended
    The old ui is something that I see mentioned a lot. I would be surprised if no modder is currently working on this

And I'm really glad the settlement recruiting CTD seems to be fixed, it was one of my more major worries.

Is anyone gonna talk about the game not being compatible with anything but the latest version of win 10?

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    Is anyone gonna talk about the game not being compatible with anything but the latest version of win 10?
    I hadn't mentioned this, as I was kinda expecting some people to say something along the lines of "Go upgrad to windows 10 u n00b!", but this is indeed a big bummer for me personally.

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Turns out the game doesn't launch for me as I get stuck with the white launcher screen. In and of itself I am not all that upset about as I know my PC is old and was keeping close eyes on the system requirments prior to launch for this reason. I just thought that between my Windows 10 and having enough RAM I was just above when it turned out I wasn't A bit dissapointed that there was no out-of-launcher way of turning all the settings off or down as I would like to experience the mod-scene or multiplayer when some of the bugs have been figured out. At the very least I still have the original and started a new campaign yesterday after having hyped myself up all day anyway.

I have been thinking of upgrading my PC for a while so I guess it is about time. Just got grumpy because a new graphics card costs half as much of what I paid for my used computer 2 years ago Got my money back from Steam already but suspect I'll give it another go in a few weeks and see if the developers have figured out how to make it more optimized on older machines. If nothing else I don't mind paying 15$ now just to have it ready to go whenever I get my PC-situation figured out. Probably shouldn't admit this if Sega reads it but I'd be fine paying 15$ just to have an influx of players of RTW regardless of whether any other changes were made.
    Last edited by Mr Longbowman; April 30, 2021 at 02:55 PM.

I'm not sure modders can do much about the UI. Don't know about the recent titles but I don't remember seeing any successful UI redesigns. I appreciate Feral for not forcing their changes (like Merchants) and providing options to use the OG rulesets, but they didn't do that for the UI and that really sucks. Honestly I'm sick of having terrible UI decisions forced upon us and not hearing a single explanation, they won't be getting any money from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Letalis View Post
    The old ui is something that I see mentioned a lot. I would be surprised if no modder is currently working on this

And I'm really glad the settlement recruiting CTD seems to be fixed, it was one of my more major worries.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

So... where do we stand on the "how easy it is to port mods directly into RTW:Remastered?" question?
    And what 'extra' modability is there? Is the settlement limit, the maximum soldiers/unit etc increased?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Turns out there might be a few bugs to iron out... AI gets stuck in mid-turn and you need to save and reload to fix it.
    I'm seriously missing the old notification system... The new one fails in allowing you to effectively manage a large number of towns.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

The new UI sucks ass. :/

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    So... where do we stand on the "how easy it is to port mods directly into RTW:Remastered?" question?
    I think currently it's a similar level of difficulty as porting RTW mod to M2, e.g. you can do it, you'll have a better appearance and more features when you've done it, but it will take a while...
    (and you will need a mesh model and textures for the campaign map, wilddog's working on doing that through IWTE atm, but we're not releasing that feature of IWTE until it's improved/finalised)

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    And what 'extra' modability is there? Is the settlement limit, the maximum soldiers/unit etc increased?
    I think the only one changed so far is factions from 21 to 31 - but they've said on the official TW discord that they're working on raising other limits.