Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Total War Rome: Remastered

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Total War Rome: Remastered

Regarding an error log: how does that work?

1. It's Feral - there is no log (see their Mac M2TW)
    2. It's the old way. If so, how? Using the dreaded steam launch option?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Regarding an error log: how does that work?

1. It's Feral - there is no log (see their Mac M2TW)
    2. It's the old way. If so, how? Using the dreaded steam launch option?
    Currently the old way -show_err on steam launch option.

There are logs folders in the section it leaves on C:/Users/etc - so maybe some hope that something could be activated to write to that ?

Does anyone know when a patch will come out?

Quote Originally Posted by CDMan477 View Post
    Any noticeable diplomacy or AI changes for the campaign map for anyone who has played this yet? I've seen how they've added a bit to the diplomacy screen but the AI used to attack your faction the minute you shared a common boarder in Rome I. Didn't matter if you were allies, or, in good relations. If at war, a few turns after a cease fire is struck they will immediately attack you again. Just curious if this feature is still in the game.
    Yes, this! This is what I really want to know too. My abiding memory of the original is the frustration caused by the psychotic campaign AI, which eventually made me sick of the game.

From the sounds of things the remaster is not comprehensive enough to have changed this, I fear...

GROB's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by argenti View Post
    Does anyone know when a patch will come out?
    Hello, the devs said, that this mod willbe out a week to two weeks. Also, according to APPLE, the team is working on a new map. Maybe but not soon.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

How are the limit-stretching goes?
    Any news about what the settlement limit, unit-size limit, number of units etc would be?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

No words on UI, as expected.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

They won't change the UI as it was a deliberate decision to have it changed :p
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

It could be optional (like many other features) and problem solved..

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Was RTW originally available in Mandarin? I believe it became an interesting market for CA since the introduction of Three Kingdoms...

Quote Originally Posted by balparmak View Post
    No words on UI, as expected.
    The first update wasn't even reserved for modding stuff yet. But yeah, UI is tricky because clearly they have NO intention of changing it (on their own) and "casual non-modding players who never ever touched complex stuff like EBII etc and couldn't care less about descriptions/functionality" seem to be in love with it. The best we can do is provide direct modding feedback (UI is more flexible to modding now, though lots of issues there) and show them there is *demand* for UI changes.

I've been modding the UI and it's not (completely) a lost cause. The fundamental rule is that you can't change the panels and icons' behavior, only position. A couple of fundamental problems with it though, that I already reported to Feral...

1) You can move minimap but can't move/resize/hide the window around it (a functionality that could very easily be added in IMO because all we need are appropriate missing entries in .pos files, which is how it is possible to move other things around in the first place). The same thing with advisor frame in the top left corner (no entries) but this one is of no importance, I guess. Though I would like to be able to hide most of the clutter unnecessary for gameplay if I could.

2) There is control over fonts (sometimes) but they seem to be limited to what Feral used. Which is... not a lot of options and like some people here already said, sometimes hard to read fonts. Also, you can't choose font size, only choose between small/medium/bold variants.

3) They used animations and this hinders us further because animation ending positions are fixed which means, even if in theory we're able to change positions and sizes of windows they used, wherever animation movement is concerned (damn, almost EVERYWHERE) they'll break/leave artifacts/snap back to their original positions. Because control over animation ending positions isn't there (yet, though there is a file for it... so maybe there is hope... if it's considered a priority... if enough people care...). It concerns only movement - so you can make description window wider, yes, but you can't make it go higher and change its position on y axis, for example. That's where problems will appear.

4) News panel is completely unmoddable and hard-coded atm. Fonts can't be changed, windows can't be resized, elements won't become bigger... which sucks. It's all so small! I was only able to move it on y axis nothing more. You can also make it higher but that's unhelpful - not all elements become bigger so you're left with empty space.

5) The horrible one - building effects list in the building info panel will always remain hardcoded atm, it won't get bigger nor wider (so always scrolling, even if description window will be bigger) and changing font to something bigger won't do the trick because same problem - with a bigger font it is like 1 single effect visible at once, the rest you need to scroll down to see, horrible. But that's NOT all of it. Building requirements (and possibly units available for recruitment) rows (the ones with icons now instead of text) are BROKEN right now. If you add 1 more building requirement than what vanilla is using all at once (which is what they've tested it for) the list will break with empty space and broken icon. Imagine that you create a mod with more complex requirements for building trees... with OR conditions and whatnot... 10 building requirements or so... and guess what they don't appear at all... WOW. Hopefully they'll fix this and - at the very least - add a working scrolling feature to make that list usable for modding. (though it still sucks being forced to scroll through everything separately while the original didn't really have this problem because it was all part of the same list - just easily readable wall of text that could fit any amount of content)

6) I've seen many people happy because they can use 120% UI option from the graphics settings... to see things better. But this creates even more clutter and still doesn't come close to the original's clarity. Some spaces and fonts are still pretty small and constrained, other elements create clutter and are pointless. Now, it can all be modded to a degree but... fonts are hard to change and if we enable 120% UI to resize everything/make fonts bigger with our UI mods on (so we also have different position and nicer placement of some elements/or call it a "classic UI mod") we'll run into problems with resolutions - best case scenario elements cover one another on some resolutions OR worst case scenario bizarre UI artifacts (due to exceeding the maximum animation position on different resolution than modder's native). Depends on the native UI design/resolution of the modder. For him/her might be good, for everyone else disaster. Which basically forces us to create... fully personalized UI mods. Or different variants for everyone else if the modder has the patience.

I've pointed out all of the above to Feral. However, I've been told by Feral they have a lot on their hands and there is hardly anyone posting modding requests about the UI... they've added my requests to their lists of "things to look into" but I've also been told many of them may be "impossible to achieve due to engine limitations ." Soooo... you can guess what that means. Still, I noticed they do talk with us and they're open. They're really active on official TW Discord. Try to mess with the UI in UI-overrides folder and report some useful requests/feedback back to them. Maybe that will help. Raising limits and regions sounds super super nice but it really all hangs on the knives' edge if we can't fix the UI. Like, sure, in theory amazing mods are still possible to be created and used but in practice.. UI immersion/flow of information would be extremely hindered.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S-te-Fan View Post
    Was RTW originally available in Mandarin? I believe it became an interesting market for CA since the introduction of Three Kingdoms...
    I don't think it was, no.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

https://youtu.be/bcI7SfxwNtA

Mak's mod? 😮
    Looks great to say the least!

https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/1118

So this page says;
    "Patch 2.0.1 focuses on stability, but work continues to improve AI, pathfinding, and modding functionality for future patches."

Fingers crossed.

Blog Entries

The focus for our next patch and beyond is to investigate and improve areas of the game including AI, pathfinding and modding functionality.
    Looks like they're commited to this.
    and Peaman

Seems like it.
    Like a smart company would.

I mean, without improvements in mentioned areas, the game is just a mediocre reskin of RTW and quite expensive at that for a very old game.

Blog Entries

Indeed, and I'm guessing future sales are depening on good mods.
    and Peaman

For sure. The reason so many people return to these games is exactly because of the mods.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

I won't be buying it because it's not windows 7 compatible. When I retired I built my gaming computer and all the tech blogs were saying, "go with Win 10!" So I bought a copy and had a year of frustration. Every time I fixed a problem a new update would cause another crash. I finally uninstalled 10, bought a copy of Win 7 on Ebay and its been smooth sailing ever since.

I don't buy the new TW games after being burned by Rome 2.