Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Total War Rome: Remastered

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: Total War Rome: Remastered

Now we need Dimebagho back and it's 2005 all over
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Very exiting. Hope Mods can be used.

Modders have made RTW a great game. Without them the original game would have been boring quick.
    Modders made the game a great adventure.

Any news about Barbarian Invasion? Have they shown new graphics of units already?

Quote Originally Posted by Schools of Paladins View Post
    Any news about Barbarian Invasion? Have they shown new graphics of units already?
    We just got this (link only because getting videos to work on TWcenter is a )

https://youtu.be/Yo5_2a5Vhw0

The most interesting bit related to BI is our first look at the faction selection screen and most interesting of all is the Emergent factions themselves. I was wondering if Feral had a miscommunication problem or if they were adding in the emergent factions either as factions from the start or just adding a new time date to start them in so they would be in them. But instead they went in a new radically different form of implantation as I saw from slowing the video down and pausing it as it says the factions are still emergent, the difference is that playing as them makes the campaign simulate itself until they arrive, making every campaign they start as different every time. It's almost like it's a randomly generated starting point you would see in some games which has me interested now in how people play them since I never saw something like that in any other total war game.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

If moders can get a hold to that mechanic it could mean partially (at least) random campaigns... which would improve replayability a lot.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

It also means in the event they remaster Med 2 the same can go for the Mongols and Timurids which removes the issue of getting them to be playable. But I still kinda hoped for different time period starting dates like in Med 1 if only to play it in a set way in case people prefer to not let the campaign play itself at first for variety's sake. Still nice to see how they implemented them. But another thing they need to get out of the way is add more units because The Ostrogoths and Slavs are copy pasted factions with different colors and have no unique units. They need more stuff to help make playing them different and a unique emergent feature will not fully cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    But another thing they need to get out of the way is add more units because The Ostrogoths and Slavs are copy pasted factions with different colors and have no unique units. They need more stuff to help make playing them different and a unique emergent feature will not fully cut it.
    It's true. Many of unplayable Germanic factions are clones with different colors too.

Decanus

New footage has emerged of Barbarian Invasion and Alexander and I must say I am somewhat disappointed they did not rectify the total disgrace of a campaign map that Alexander has. I wasn't really expecting it as it would probably fall out of the bounds of a "remaster," but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84vuALGEwJk

Kind regards,
    SKSlave

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

New video of quality of life improvements is around. My internet is super sucky, so I could not link it.

Interestingly now the campaign map can rotate 360.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    New video of quality of life improvements is around. My internet is super sucky, so I could not link it.

Interestingly now the campaign map can rotate 360.
    The 360 bit has been known for a while.

This early access video shows that there are brand new intros for the previously unplayable factions. Some still seem to be in development. Interesting.

https://youtu.be/Y8zA8vWBrSY

In BI, there are several clone factions. The Burgundii, Lombardi, and Alemanii are all identical except the Alemanii cannot horde. The Visigoths and Ostrogoths are identical, the Sarmatians and the Roxolanii are identical, and the Slavs and the Vandals are identical. The 2 Roman Rebel factions are identical to their parent factions, unsurprisingly.

I would not really except them to add new units but it would be a pleasant surprise. It would be cool for them to at least give different experience bonuses. For example, Lombard Berserkers/Archers get +1 experience when recruited by Lombards, Burgundii Lancers get +1 from the Burgundii.

The White Huns and the Moors were planned in the original BI, but got cut. It would be cool if they could be added as factions, maybe rename Moors Arabia and have the White Huns emerge in the Middle East to fight the Sassanids/Eastern Romans.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    This early access video shows that there are brand new intros for the previously unplayable factions. Some still seem to be in development. Interesting.

https://youtu.be/Y8zA8vWBrSY
    Definitely interesting.
    But with a release date of April 29, there isn't much time left to tinker with the game files before release. I hope it won't contain (serious) bugs on release but at least it being actively worked on is also a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    In BI, there are several clone factions. The Burgundii, Lombardi, and Alemanii are all identical except the Alemanii cannot horde. The Visigoths and Ostrogoths are identical, the Sarmatians and the Roxolanii are identical, and the Slavs and the Vandals are identical. The 2 Roman Rebel factions are identical to their parent factions, unsurprisingly.

I would not really except them to add new units but it would be a pleasant surprise. It would be cool for them to at least give different experience bonuses. For example, Lombard Berserkers/Archers get +1 experience when recruited by Lombards, Burgundii Lancers get +1 from the Burgundii.

The White Huns and the Moors were planned in the original BI, but got cut. It would be cool if they could be added as factions, maybe rename Moors Arabia and have the White Huns emerge in the Middle East to fight the Sassanids/Eastern Romans.
    I'd definitely like to see content that was originally cut, like a few of the original Roman Generals Speeches which have actual text data in the game files but with the actual sound files missing.
    Regarding the clone unit rosters, personally I'd prefer the devs to give modders more workspace (like what they did with the solving of hardcoded limits like the maximum faction limit or the tweaks done to for instance squalor which is something we were never able to directly mod) instead of investing (their limited) time in something which is quite easy to mod in ourselves. Having said that, there have been balance changes iirc so they have look into it at least.

One thing I'm most curious about is how to port Mundus Magnus into the remaster, which is likely the very first thing I will want to do once the game is on my harddrive

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post

I highly wonder what are they going to do with those clone so far npc factions. If they don't remake the factions I hope they at least make their model art unique.

On the Steam page I read that the game needs 70GB of memory. That's a lot compared to the old game.

I think that's disc space rather than memory... if you 'double' texture sizes by width/height, a 2x2=4 texture goes to 4x4=16 area, which quickly starts using a lot more space!

Still no videos with zoomed units appearance or graphic comparisons of theirs.
    I am curious how they look because I've already observed that some look worse like for example Principes and Foederati. I am really interested how did they make up the Western Roman Cavalry from Barbarian Invasion. I've seen only Sarmatian Auxilia and they look pretty the same (and it's ok because they were always fine).

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    If moders can get a hold to that mechanic it could mean partially (at least) random campaigns... which would improve replayability a lot.
    Random starting status of factions within the campaign can already be done to a degree through scripts. I.e giving random amounts of money and armies to factions, and giving more or less population and buildings to settlements through script. Also, scripting the faction to immediately conquer settlements through spawning armies right out of settlements and scripting them to attack + changing the cultural make-out of a faction etc.

What is NOT possible already is ... simulating how a campaign would progress. This is MUCH different than saying:
    " Rome starts with +1000 / +2000 / +5000 / +10000 gold and +1 / +3 / +5 / +7 regions and +1 / +2 / +3 /+4 half-stacks while the city of Rome gets +500 / +1000 / +2000 / +5000 population, +2 /+4 / +6 / +8 buildings/improvements while settlements under Rome's control get half that much population and building improvements "
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    Very exiting. Hope Mods can be used.

Modders have made RTW a great game. Without them the original game would have been boring quick.
    Modders made the game a great adventure.
    According to a few people I know who have got their hands on it and snooped in the files, and talked to CA reps, it will be the most moddable TW game ever.